• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

DROP + SENNHEISER PC38X Review (Headphone)

b7676

What is a Window's game that I can play in demo mode or something to experience such effect?

I would suggest Metro 2033 (Redux) as one of the most memorable high quality audio/positional audio experiences of the past ten years. Included from the main menu is a classic benchmark run; and the 'demo' first gameplay minutes showcases the engine. Much of the game can get pretty quiet. Plenty of nice music being played in game, over there.
GOG trusted distributor, Metro 2033
It seems no one is serving game demos anymore. Either torrent, pay, or enter a walled garden.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would you put them over HD560s or tygr300r for gaming?
I haven't personally heard any of these (only own the HD58X and didn't like what I heard on other Beyer sets like the DT series and used to own an Antlion 5.0 mic), but based on many cross comparisons of measurements and reviews of the HD560s and HD58X and PC38X, as well as microphone demos on YouTube, I'd say the 560s would definitely be better if you are using or plan to use a dedicated microphone (can't comment on the Beyers due to personal bias; the MMX 300 2nd Gen is known to have a great attached mic though if that's what you're looking for).

The microphone quality on the PC38X and its distortion measurements make it kind of meh compared to most dedicated headphones/microphones. Currently I am using a Motu M2 and Rode NT1 setup for my gaming and communication needs. I still think the PC38X is great for its tuning and convenience though, as it needs no EQ, Amp or Audio Interface to deliver what it promises. It hits mainstream standards across all aspects, and is a godsend for those looking for something specifically like it at an affordable price (especially when deducting the costs of needing an XLR/USB mic and audio interface or headphone amp which can easily amount to hundreds).

To summarise, it provides decent (but nowhere near top-of-the-range) all-rounded performance at a great price with nice features in a single package

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would you put them over HD560s or tygr300r for gaming?
Solderdude just measured these, the PC38X indeed would be much more preferable without the prominent spike. Distortion in the TYGR doesn't look desirable either

Top Bottom