• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop/Senn Hd58x vs Hd6xx

stumper3819

Forum Donor
With Drop currently running a sale on these, I will be buying one of them. I have read the Hd58x is easier to drive and slightly grainy. Has anybody owned both? If you had to choose, which one? I'm not concerned with easier to drive, and the $50 bucks. Thanks!

adama99

From the HD 58X review on DIY Audio Heaven:

The overall sound signature is in between the HD660S and HD650 when it concerns the mids. The HD650/HD6XX sounds somewhat ‘softer’ (as in ‘romantic’). The HD58X, just like the HD660S sounds a bit ‘fresher’.

The HD58X has a similar ‘warmth’ as the current HD650 (2017) but with better bass extension. The frequency response of the current HD650 (and Massdrop HD6XX) is a bit more ‘linear’ and ‘smoother’ in upper mids and the treble. The HD58X is a bit more ‘dynamic’ and ‘fresher’ and thus do not sound the same but do have some similarities.

hd650-2018-vs-hd58x1.png

So better bass extension and "fresher" sound (HD 58X) versus smoother treble and a "softer" sound (HD 6XX).

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Used HD58x for a year, just got HD6xx.
I've been using HD58x on RME ADI-2 with Oratory's EQ profile and have been happy overall, but recently felt the treble on HD58x is a bit too grainy/rough and I've been preferring speakers for music listening. Got the HD6xx based on the unanimous agreement among reviewers it has better treble and I'm happy to report I'm not disappointed! HD6xx with Oratory EQ are my endgame for open dynamic headphones.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Used HD58x for a year, just got HD6xx.
I've been using HD58x on RME ADI-2 with Oratory's EQ profile and have been happy overall, but recently felt the treble on HD58x is a bit too grainy/rough and I've been preferring speakers for music listening. Got the HD6xx based on the unanimous agreement among reviewers it has better treble and I'm happy to report I'm not disappointed! HD6xx with Oratory EQ are my endgame for open dynamic headphones.

Yeah, it's a really great combination.

For the price, truly amazing.

I recently got the HE6SE V1, which are much more expensive, and have tried a lot of different EQ curves, but I still find myself coming back to the H6XX + Oratory combo.

Top Bottom