• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Ether CX Review (Closed Planar Headphone)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know how the non-Flow Ether CX compared to the Aeon Flow 2? It's an older higher-end driver vs a newer entry driver but I couldn't really find any comparisons.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I moved from the Ether CX to the Ether Flow (got a great deal $650) and I find the Ether Flow superior in all regards IMO. Tighter, deeper bass (which I always found lacking on the CX) and better soundstage and clarity/openness in my book.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I moved from the Ether CX to the Ether Flow (got a great deal $650) and I find the Ether Flow superior in all regards IMO. Tighter, deeper bass (which I always found lacking on the CX) and better soundstage and clarity/openness in my book.
did you change ur cx+650 for the efo?
I'm owner for about 3 years of this headphone, sounds pretty nice technically
I use EQ with this headphone btw

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, yes I got a great deal on the efo and tested it head to head with the ether cx and to my ears it wasn't even close.

KehaDNb

Invested in a MrSpeakers ether cx…. Any impressions on them and how they compare to other headphone’s?

KehaDNb

I was searching for a diffused field / free field target curve tuned closed back and it seems this is the only legit option

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found them light on bass. I upgraded to the Ether Flow Open and like them more... But more expensive. Better bass and less distortion.

bequietjk

I found them light on bass. I upgraded to the Ether Flow Open and like them more... But more expensive. Better bass and less distortion.
LESS distortion???
1669318115315.png

djwkyoto

I bought the Ether CX in the recent sale at drop.com and they arrived a couple of days ago. Nice looking headphone. It's too early for any subjective comments on the sound though.

My issue is:
I would like to drive the headphones through a balanced connection, but my little headphone DAC/dongle (Hidizs S9 Pro) can only do balanced output via a 2.5 mm plug. So my question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a cable from the proprietary Hirose connectors to 2.5 mm TRRS in Europe? I looked around and could only find import products, from either the US, the UK or from China.

The cable would not need to be fancy, just a plain, good-working, cheap cable. Any help is appreciated, thanks all. :)

VariousArtists

I bought the Ether CX in the recent sale at drop.com and they arrived a couple of days ago. Nice looking headphone. It's too early for any subjective comments on the sound though.

My issue is:
I would like to drive the headphones through a balanced connection, but my little headphone DAC/dongle (Hidizs S9 Pro) can only do balanced output via a 2.5 mm plug. So my question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a cable from the proprietary Hirose connectors to 2.5 mm TRRS in Europe? I looked around and could only find import products, from either the US, the UK or from China.

The cable would not need to be fancy, just a plain, good-working, cheap cable. Any help is appreciated, thanks all. :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
@djwkyoto The cheapest cables I can find in Europe are like 125€. You'd be better off buying a 2.5mm cable for another headphone and soldering the Hirose connectors onto it. Would only cost 30€ or so, but would require soldering skills and equipment naturally.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

My issue is:

What connector does your existing cable have? Any full aftermarket with those hirose won't be cheap. Did you get the one with the xlr termination?

Top Bottom