• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Ether CX Review (Closed Planar Headphone)

Jave

I looked back and found the answer... CX should not use the ETHER pads, you get a 6K spike and it borks the upper midrange.

Comparing the two CX is smoother in the midrange while C Flow has more bass power, lower distortion, throws a deeper soundstage, and is more revealing. Both handle EQ with ease, C Flow needs a little more up top while CX needs more below.

Oratory's measured response for C Flow looks pretty much like what I'd post and he got a near ruler flat response with the PEQ so go there if you want to see vs the CX data Amir has posted.

One thing that is fun with ETHER C Flow is THD, which is even lower than CX. Here're two plots, brown is the CX at 104dB at 1Khz. This maps pretty well to Amir.

ETHER CX THD, 104dB @1Khz
View attachment 138982

ETHER CX THD, 104dB @1Khz
View attachment 138981

The lower THD is the Flow tech working, though as you see it was improving on something that was already pretty good...

Anyhow, stick with the CX pads on the CX and if you want to fiddle with the sound use the tuning inserts or EQ.

The lower graph is CX with Flow mod? Or is it C Flow?
Because it says CX above both and I can't see any brown graph, only 1 red and 1 blue.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
Good L/R match.

I have generated Two EQ, the APO config file Are attached.

The Target is Harman curve Flat@HF
Score no EQ: 82.9
Score Armirm: 89.7
Score with EQ: 100.3

Code:
Drop Ether CX APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July052021-133312

Preamp: -6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 45.01 Hz Gain 6.80 dB Q 0.54
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 108.77 Hz Gain -0.92 dB Q 0.19
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1372.77 Hz Gain -3.12 dB Q 0.91
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3448.50 Hz Gain 2.34 dB Q 4.92
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3985.10 Hz Gain -2.81 dB Q 4.92
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6035.66 Hz Gain 4.27 dB Q 0.25
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7027.99 Hz Gain -4.06 dB Q 3.94

View attachment 139211

The Target is Harman curve -1.5dB@HF

Score no EQ: 76.7
Score Armirm: 88.9
Score with EQ: 95.2

Code:
Drop Ether CX APO EQ -1.5dB@HF 96000Hz
July052021-131710

Preamp: -6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 41.00 Hz Gain 6.69 dB Q 0.50
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 96.83 Hz Gain -0.74 dB Q 0.11
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1252.82 Hz Gain -2.78 dB Q 1.60
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2872.72 Hz Gain 3.03 dB Q 4.51
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4998.50 Hz Gain 3.10 dB Q 4.77
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7027.04 Hz Gain -1.40 dB Q 5.00

View attachment 139208
Wow, I tried the first one and it opened up the sound for me. Thanks.

Jave

I am having a hard time deciding whether I should go for the CX (used) which I found for 650$ or the C Flow 1.1 for 1250$ (new)?

@Dan Clark - Could you also provide THD\frequency response for Ether 2\Aeon 2, please?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am having a hard time deciding whether I should go for the CX (used) which I found for 650$ or the C Flow 1.1 for 1250$ (new)?

@Dan Clark - Could you also provide THD\frequency response for Ether 2\Aeon 2, please?

The CX can be had for $750 new on holiday sales. But I'm sure Mr Speakers would appreciate you buying the new Flow 1.1 today. Either way, you wont be disappointed. Given the low distortion you can EQ either to your preference no problem.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The best compliment I can give these headphones is that they disappear both physically and sonically in use. Admittedly a pad change for something bigger and rounder and some gentle EQ was needed for me but damn they are good.

Jave

The CX can be had for $750 new on holiday sales. But I'm sure Mr Speakers would appreciate you buying the new Flow 1.1 today. Either way, you wont be disappointed. Given the low distortion you can EQ either to your preference no problem.
Holiday sales where?

mshenay

Honestly I prefer the CX to the C Flow, price being a non issue either way, for me CX is more even in both it's bass response and throughout the mid-range. C Flow 1.1 on the other hand has some very mild fluctuations in the lows and isn't as mid-forward

What I'm really excited for is the eventual release of Ether 2C :D

Jave

@Dan Clark - What's the difference between the original C Flow and the C Flow 1.1? Assuming the 1.1 upgrade kit was applied, should I expect any difference, sonically speaking?
Any plans to release the Ether 2C soon? (mshenay wrote something about it...)

Last edited:

Dan Clark

Audio Company
@Dan Clark - What's the difference between the original C Flow and the C Flow 1.1? Assuming the 1.1 upgrade kit was applied, should I expect any difference, sonically speaking?
Any plans to release the Ether 2C soon? (mshenay wrote something about it...)

Hi there! C Flow 1.0 used a different ear-side damping setup, that's why the 1.1 upgrade is user installable. 1.1 gave better dynamics, a little more efficiency, and more resolution.

Sorry, we don't answer future product questions...

Daiyama

Probably Dan can guess from the graph, which was the most likely case, with or without the black filter.

Dan Clark

Audio Company
Probably Dan can guess from the graph, which was the most likely case, with or without the black filter.

There's little effect, ~1dB above 4K for the black felt and above 5K for the 2mm foam. It's doubtful I can guess from the graph but the result wouldn't change much visually regardless. The foam does reduce peaks a little so my *guess* this was as-built.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I have the ether flow, that was my last headphone, a good pair of headphones, dca cares about the technnicali performance
I lost the interest for headphones im happy with my Efo, since I dont like to have a collections of things, now im a speaker guy

Jave

@amirm - why don't you show headphones THD in logarithmic scale (Y axis)?

Does anyone know where one can get the leather headband for the Ether headphones? (C Flow specifically)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm - why don't you show headphones THD in logarithmic scale (Y axis)?
I do. The absolute levels are in dB which by definition is a log scale. The relative version is shown linearly since it is much more revealing of distortion than using a log scale.

Jave

I do. The absolute levels are in dB which by definition is a log scale. The relative version is shown linearly since it is much more revealing of distortion than using a log scale.
True. I meant logarithmic percentage , but I can just switch between db and %. My bad.

Why do you think that the linear form is more revealing?

Top Bottom