• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Ether CX Review (Closed Planar Headphone)

djwkyoto

What connector does your existing cable have? Any full aftermarket with those hirose won't be cheap. Did you get the one with the xlr termination?
Yes, the cable is 4-pin XLR from the Hirose connectors, which is again adapted from XLR to 3.5 mm unbalanced to connect to the headphone amp.

I could go with an XLR to 2.5 mm adapter, I guess, but I also hoped to lose the weight of the XLR connection inbetween. (And I would also have to buy one.)

djwkyoto

@djwkyoto The cheapest cables I can find in Europe are like 125€. You'd be better off buying a 2.5mm cable for another headphone and soldering the Hirose connectors onto it. Would only cost 30€ or so, but would require soldering skills and equipment naturally.
Soldering equipment is available, only my skills have become a little bit rusty, I fear. But you're right, this would be a way if I can't find a cable on the cheap.

Is the pin configuration for the Hirose connectors known?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is the pin configuration for the Hirose connectors known?
Screenshot 2022-12-14 191657.png

Source

djwkyoto

How about one of these eBay-sellers? Does anyone have experience with the quality of their products?
Apart from soldering this looks like the cheapest way.

staticV3

Master Contributor
How about one of these eBay-sellers? Does anyone have experience with the quality of their products?
Those come from China.
You can get good quality cables from there, either via eBay or AliExpress.
But you wrote that you didn't want to import

djwkyoto

Those come from China.
You can get good quality cables from there, either via eBay or AliExpress.
But you wrote that you didn't want to import
Yes, you're right, I would prefer not to import. Seeing the prices though I am unsure again.

Or I might take up some soldering again at work and getting used to the thought of just trying it myself!

Thanks everyone for your input, it's been really helpful. Have a nice evening (or what time of day it is at your locations :) ).

kaiba

Wondering if anyone else gets distortion with the Ether CX in really low bass, possibly bad recordings? Suddenly heard buzzing/fluttering/sputtering/breaking up/flapping-ish noises in "Maltex - Lost":
I'm using Equalizer APO + Aqua ~ AutoEQ>"lef with bass Over-ear (Oratory1990)" +2db boost extra boost added to 64&105Hz &+1db extra @166Hz @ fairly low volume - 100% OS, & xDuoo xd05 bal volume dial at ~2.5 + gain, or, ~4 w/out gain switch on. My Sony z7m2, dynamic drivers, also have some driver buzzing in that song, but only at much higher volume, and with ~+8db total, 200Hz & under, extra low-shelf boosts; & even then, it seems a bit more instantaneous vs the Ether CX's buzzing extending over many notes until it sounds staticy. Maybe, this is a planar thing? Unless, that buzzing is a part of the, possibly _bad_, recording (also exists in other videos of that song on yt) & the Ether CXs are just showing it how it is, while the Sonys dynamic drivers show the start of the distortion, then have a hard time continuing that sound & partly smooth it over?

kaiba

@usern the ether cx autoeq has -4.70 preamp. -3.94 for the Sony z7m2's eq.
I've only had these 2 headphones for a couple of days, along with the dac amp, & they are my first >$50 headphones!, & first planar speakers of any kind. Hoping that there isn't anything wrong with them as I purchased them used - both appear like-new, along with the amp.
Trying that song on 2 different 30mm & 40mm drivers bluetooth headphones, & IEMs; no distortion.

Last edited:

usern

@usern the ether cx autoeq has -4.70 preamp.
Is it before or after you added extra +2dB and +1dB boosts? Try setting preamp to -11 dB and see if there is still distortion. These headphones should have no trouble with any amount of EQ

kaiba

@usern, thanks for the help. Experimenting with preamp, both down & up - nothing (don't think there's clipping). Connecting to motherboard instead of amp - hmm, can't get volume up on Ether CX high enough to tell; but can on the z7m2s (seem less power hungry than the Ether CX, even though ~double the impedance?.. guess v=ir; increasing resistance lowers the amount of current needed to reach the same volume, &/or dynamic drivers on the Sonys are more efficient than the planar drivers on the Ether CXs?); only, possibly, a little bit of crackling (might just be staticy noises common in electronic music - which I prefer those musicians didn't add-in; feels/sounds like dirtying the sound!) ~ nowhere near the distortion off of the amp... So, decided to experiment with the amp - low & behold, connecting to the xDuoo's unbalanced output = no distortion! This used xd05 bal amp came with a 3.5mm to 4.4mm-balanced (4 black rings) adapter already in the balanced output; so, I've been connecting into that (rough thought probably along the lines of - "balanced", it must be better...). I believe that the Ether CX has a balanced xlr, but not sure if its included 3.5mm adapter is bal, or unbalanced? Or, if the 4.4mm balanced adapter's 3.5mm side is bal, or not - would I even get both left & right channel audio to the headphones if there was a miss-match? I'm coming from diy speakers experience where banana plugs for speakers, rca - xlr - fiber for inputs, & neutrik speakon for subwoofers; don't remember having to think/learn about balanced vs unbalanced while I was in that realm years ago...

As a preliminary review; I didn't notice that much of a difference in sound quality between these 2 expensive headphones vs cheapo ones. Or, of that much of a sound quality difference between the xDuoo xd05 bal dac amp & motherboard's realtek alc889... However, after listening to them, for a couple of days, the sound quality seems to be improving - maybe this is like turning up the playback speed on video - you have to get used to it; adjust to the higher sound quality to hear the little details that aren't muddled together like on 30/40/50mm driver headphones? When I got these, I immediately didn't like the play in the Ether CX's Hirose xlr connectors - headphones don't draw much current; but still... ~afraid of some plasma arcs with that looseness! Haven't tried the Ether CX's tuning pads, yet, but plenty with eq'ing. The Ether CX is clearly clearer in sound than the Sony z7m2 - the Sony's have a bit of added grain/texture & less separation (though, getting clearer the more I listen - mind burn-in vs driver burn-in) ~ morphing together of sounds like on cheaper headphones; but, get deeper, louder, into the lower frequencies than the Ether CX or cheap headphones. Before I bought these together, I was actually looking at the Ether CX & assuming that they would blow away the z7m2's - with the loser probably being re-sold to recoup some of the cost of buying these as a set - however, it's currently much closer than I thought - I may even be leaning towards the Sonys... for some things; like bass-heavy music, the rumbling depth of the Sony headphones wins. In clarity focused things, like music with vocals (which I rarely listen to), the Ether CXs win. Though, I haven't tried it yet, I have a feeling that the Sonys will sound better for watching movies. The race is close; may take months - if I don't just decide to keep both, like lots of headphone collections loons I see, in signature areas under posts, in these forums :) ;). For comfort; I prefer the z7m2's earpads & clamping pressure, but vastly prefer the Ether CX's headband - though, I keep on having to adjust it ~ probably need to tighten the screws a bit.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ended up selling my CX because of distortion on too many tracks to be honest and I picked up a ether flow open and have never had that problem again with plenty of bass IMO, and more detail. But they are open.

kaiba

I ended up selling my CX because of distortion on too many tracks to be honest and I picked up a ether flow open and have never had that problem again with plenty of bass IMO, and more detail. But they are open.
Definitely don't want open - that's what speakers are for! Headphones should be closed only :p - useful whenever you don't want to disturb others. Though, have never tried open back headphones, so...............

Not hearing any distortion with the Ether CX now that I switched to the xDuoo's unbalanced connection (maybe at really high volume, that I don't want to attempt?) - still not sure why the balanced output was doing that.

Mauro

ETHER CX is among the best sounding closed back headphones I have tried..if not the best. Congrats @Dan Clark
Treble is very well tuned. Not far from audio systems with Revel speakers in a direct comparison.
I also like very much felt filters to tune the treble to my liking without using DYI paper filters.
EQ in the bass is an easy job..but I also enjoy them without.

But now I want to buy the E3. It’s not fair Dan..

Now we need an Aeon Noire with an external Bluetooth dongle as the Deva. That would be a game changer

Last edited:

Malaj

Wondering if anyone else gets distortion with the Ether CX in really low bass, possibly bad recordings? ?
Plays fine on my ether c flow. Annoying track though the the start and stops all the time. Get that stutter stress going :)

Top Bottom