• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@TheHighContemplator Didn't expect to see someone using PulseEffects. I just started using it about a week ago. This is my first time really getting into EQ, and I have a lot to learn lol.

I've decided I'm going to get a pair of these (or the RT's, not sure yet) and give @Robbo99999's new EQ's a try
Don't use my EQ here with the RT though, because they're different headphones. Oratory has an EQ for the RT because he's measured that headphone, so you'd want to use that if you buy an RT. If you buy the Closed X, then for now you'd probably have to use one of my EQ's in this thread, because last time I checked only Resolve had measured the Closed X...which is of course my EQ's in this thread. I'm relatively certain that eventually Oratory will measure the Closed X, but how long it will take until someone sends him one is a different story......with Drop being a US store then it's likely to take longer than average because Oratory is in Europe.....however I bought an HE4XX from Drop even though I live in the UK, but I'm sure they get most of their custom from the US. I don't have a strong recommendation for you either way re Closed X vs RT, because if I was to buy one I'm not strongly swayed to one or the other.

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

I'm glad you've found a profile that sounds more accurate/better to you. I think it makes sense what you say, because the Sample #2 EQ keeps the most energy in the 2kHz+ zone as well as boosting the bass less, so all things being equal it would sound less muffled - whether or not that means it's more accurate & closer to faithful reproduction of the Harman Curve in the case of your particular unit is not too possible to say. However, on average if there was too much energy above 2kHz and not enough bass then it would sound too bright & harsh, and if you're not experiencing that with the Sample #2 EQ then there's a good chance that your headphone is closer to the frequency response of Sample #2, which would fit with my hunch that Sample #2 is the more representative measurement of any Closed X headphone out there in the wild (Sample #1 seemed a little faulty in my view). If you can be parted from your headphone for a few weeks (month+/-) then send it off to be measured by Oratory to be sure, or maybe Amir would measure it, or Crinacle, (Resolve didn't respond to you, it's probably out of his remit to become a source for measuring headphones direct from the community).

EDIT: one extra point, yes, it would be normal that your ears eventually got used to the Sample #1 profile even though you've realised now it sounds veiled - our brains quickly adapt to the sound of a headphone to normalise it......that doesn't mean you can't get better sound by using a different EQ, it just means you have to compare them side by side in a listening session to find the one that sounds the best, and then that's the one to use. (If you've got some anechoic flat reference speakers to listen to as well then that can help you realise the intended tonality to aim for too on your well known tracks, albeit it is quite hard to compare headphone tonality with speaker tonality on a practical level, but it's another data point.)
I'm going to have one of my 3+ hour listening sessions tonight because of how much I'm enjoying the sound. I knew about the psycho acoustic effects of the brain getting used to a sound signature, but it is funny to hear it in play in such a drastic way. I love this hobby.

I'll try to find Oratory's contact info and see if I can get my set out to him. Amir seems to have tons on his plate for equipment to review. I figured that might be the case with regards to Resolve not responding.

@TheHighContemplator Didn't expect to see someone using PulseEffects. I just started using it about a week ago. This is my first time really getting into EQ, and I have a lot to learn lol.

I've decided I'm going to get a pair of these (or the RT's, not sure yet) and give @Robbo99999's new EQ's a try
In truth, you're the first person I've seen using PulseEffects on this forum as well. I love it, and the only thing I would add to it is the ability to enter amplification numbers manually rather than using the slider.

If you get the RT's, here is Oratory's EQ profile:
Oratory RT.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going to have one of my 3+ hour listening sessions tonight because of how much I'm enjoying the sound. I knew about the psycho acoustic effects of the brain getting used to a sound signature, but it is funny to hear it in play in such a drastic way. I love this hobby.

I'll try to find Oratory's contact info and see if I can get my set out to him. Amir seems to have tons on his plate for equipment to review. I figured that might be the case with regards to Resolve not responding.

In truth, you're the first person I've seen using PulseEffects on this forum as well. I love it, and the only thing I would add to it is the ability to enter amplification numbers manually rather than using the slider.

If you get the RT's, here is Oratory's EQ profile:
View attachment 157966
Ha, good stuff, enjoy! Re Oratory, yes, just send him a PM on his reddit site to see if he'll measure your headphones & he'll give you his contact details.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha, good stuff, enjoy! Re Oratory, yes, just send him a PM on his reddit site to see if he'll measure your headphones & he'll give you his contact details.

Appears he is on here now too. Unless its some audiophile catfish using @oratory1990

Resolve

Reviewer
I figured that might be the case with regards to Resolve not responding.
Sorry I missed this... what was the question?

EDIT: Oh, I just read back and got it. Yeah I generally have a lot on my plate when it comes to measuring headphones as there's always a queue of stuff coming across my desk for that, so I have a hard time having folks send their own stuff in to get measured - although I'm open to considering that as a service in the future. In this case, you'd probably get faster results with either Amir or Oratory, but feel free to DM me if they aren't able to.

Last edited:

aandres_gm

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Drop has them back at $399 if anyone's interested

That's the open one, so not the same headphone as the one in this thread, but nice deal!
Closed is still at 399. Hopefully they'll discount them on black Friday
Closed is at $479 when I look now.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SilverWolf

$479 is what I paid and still think it's great value, I paid $499 for the open X and am just as happy with it. Weren't they like $900-ish at release. The Closed is maybe my fav set of cans, certainly within it's price-point.

aandres_gm

$479 is what I paid and still think it's great value, I paid $499 for the open X and am just as happy with it. Weren't they like $900-ish at release. The Closed is maybe my fav set of cans, certainly within it's price-point.
RT was released at $499, Open X at $479.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RT was released at 499€, Open X at 479€.
Aeon flow (which I think is the starting point of the RT and X models) might well have been $900 at launch.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Spent the week listening to my Drop Closed X. After about 3 days and many hours using Robbo's EQ profile, I felt the sibilance was a little strong for my taste, so I knocked down the 7020hz filter by 2.5db so it is at +3.5db rather than +6db. This allows me to hear the detail without producing any fatiguing effects. I also changed the bass boost to 100hz_+1db_0.50Q and added a 20hz highpass with a 2.00Q because the pressure is pretty strong on my ears. I'm just posting in case anyone finds this beneficial. My last hearing test (18 months ago) showed I am 0db/-1.5db from 80hz to 16khz, which is pretty good for a guy that's almost 40 years old. I haven't contacted anyone about measuring my set, but I will next week. I hope everyone is well.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Spent the week listening to my Drop Closed X. After about 3 days and many hours using Robbo's EQ profile, I felt the sibilance was a little strong for my taste, so I knocked down the 7020hz filter by 2.5db so it is at +3.5db rather than +6db. This allows me to hear the detail without producing any fatiguing effects. I also changed the bass boost to 100hz_+1db_0.50Q and added a 20hz highpass with a 2.00Q because the pressure is pretty strong on my ears. I'm just posting in case anyone finds this beneficial. My last hearing test (18 months ago) showed I am 0db/-1.5db from 80hz to 16khz, which is pretty good for a guy that's almost 40 years old. I haven't contacted anyone about measuring my set, but I will next week. I hope everyone is well.
Hi, ah, so you're using my Sample #2 EQ from this post: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-clark-audio-aeon-closed-x.26711/post-934592

Yeah, that 7020Hz filter is a big 6dB boost, and there could well be some unit to unit variation meaning that your stock headphone is hotter in this area than the one on which that EQ is based; however it could just be that your hearing is very sensitive in that region and you prefer less energy there. I'm in my 40's and can hear to 15kHz+ (tested on my headphones at normal volumes), not -1.5dB though! I could do some slow sine sweeps on my JBL speakers to guage it more accurately where my hearing ends.

I'm looking forward to you hopefully getting your headphones measured & seeing the results.

Top Bottom