• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

1mongus

Does anyone have any recommendations for video games? Specifically, any configs that improve the soundstage? I love sample 2, but it seems like it's more oriented towards music listening, which isn't an issue, but it would be nice to switch to something when playing a game.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have any recommendations for video games? Specifically, any configs that improve the soundstage? I love sample 2, but it seems like it's more oriented towards music listening, which isn't an issue, but it would be nice to switch to something when playing a game.
I find that for video gaming in Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound, I like to remove the bass hump from the Harman Curve. So I kind of like just a linear bass extension, basically flat from 1kHz down to 20Hz (roughly). You can achieve this by adding a 105Hz Low Shelf -3dB Q0.71 to the current Sample #2 EQ. So that's what I'd recommend for gaming.

1mongus

I find that for video gaming in Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound, I like to remove the bass hump from the Harman Curve. So I kind of like just a linear bass extension, basically flat from 1kHz down to 20Hz (roughly). You can achieve this by adding a 105Hz Low Shelf -3dB Q0.71 to the current Sample #2 EQ. So that's what I'd recommend for gaming.
Thanks for replying! Uh, would you mind explaining that in newb terms? What sliders do I move in harmony?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for replying! Uh, would you mind explaining that in newb terms? What sliders do I move in harmony?
I don't know that software. I'm assuming you already know how to enter the Sample #2 EQ, otherwise you wouldn't have said you liked it. If that's the case then you just use the Sample #2 EQ, then you add one filter to it, which is the following filter:
Low Shelf Filter at 105Hz, -(minus) 3dB, Q0.71

1mongus

I don't know that software. I'm assuming you already know how to enter the Sample #2 EQ, otherwise you wouldn't have said you liked it. If that's the case then you just use the Sample #2 EQ, then you add one filter to it, which is the following filter:
Low Shelf Filter at 105Hz, -(minus) 3dB, Q0.71
Oh I understand, sounds a lot better! Thanks.

WadDad

There are 4 filter pads in box. Does anybody made measurements how they affect?

I haven't seen any freq graphs. More of a try it and see. On my set of filters there is a loose open cell not notched black foam insert that blocks the least...

LordOishi

I had intended to get the Edition XS but due to change in circumstance now might need a closed back instead.

Does anyone have experience of using the Closed X with the Fiio K7 or would the L30 E30 ii stack work better?

bkjernisted

How do the drop aeon x closed back headphone sound connected to the Qudelix 5k using for example the dance preset. What preset sound best? Thanks

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do the drop aeon x closed back headphone sound connected to the Qudelix 5k using for example the dance preset. What preset sound best? Thanks
For best results use full parametric EQ that is tailored to your model of headphone, so best to use Oratory's EQ here:
or you could also try the Sample 2 EQ here that people seem to like:
Note: for the Sample 2 EQ you will want to be using the headphone without the white filters installed in the earcups.

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Does anyone know of a good quality, meaning durable, 3m (10ft) balanced (XLR) cable for these headphones, that's reasonably priced? Dan Clark's offerings are just too much.
I had intended to get the Edition XS but due to change in circumstance now might need a closed back instead.

Does anyone have experience of using the Closed X with the Fiio K7 or would the L30 E30 ii stack work better?
I can confirm that the E30/L30 combo is amazing with these headpones. No experience with the Fiio.

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

Does anyone know of a good quality, meaning durable, 3m (10ft) balanced (XLR) cable for these headphones, that's reasonably priced? Dan Clark's offerings are just too much.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I vouch for Hart Audio Cables too. I have their cables for my HD 660S, Sundaras, DCA AEON 2 Noires and currently I have on the way Hart Audio Cables for my AKG K371s and AT ATH-M50Xs. Just get their STD cables with the adapters you want so you leave the adapter plugged into the headphone amp and switch between headphone cables.

IMG_7365.jpeg

IMG_7366.jpeg

IMG_7367.jpeg

OP
TheHighContemplator

TheHighContemplator

I like hartaudiocables.com , reasonable price and excellent quality.
I vouch for Hart Audio Cables too. I have their cables for my HD 660S, Sundaras, DCA AEON 2 Noires and currently I have on the way Hart Audio Cables for my AKG K371s and AT ATH-M50Xs. Just get their STD cables with the adapters you want so you leave the adapter plugged into the headphone amp and switch between headphone cables.
Perfect! Thank you both very much. I'll be going with a Hart cable. Cheers lads.

FlyingFreak

To the owners of the Aeon Closed X:
Does this makes a good active monitoring headphones? (as in to wear for while you are playing guitar or singing?)
Thanks !

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Resolve & @TheHighContemplator, everyone else in this thread & especially owners of this headphone - I've created two new EQ's for this DCA Aeon X Closed headphone now that @Resolve has provided a measurement of a second sample. Find attached at the end of the post the EqualiserAPO config files for both EQ's.

Following see a comparison of the measurements of Sample#1 and Sample#2 compared along with the average curve created from the two (blue line):

Were these measurements done with no pads or any particular pad in place? Thanks!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Were these measurements done with no pads or any particular pad in place? Thanks!
Hi, Resolve did those measurements without the white pads installed.

1mongus

these have been my main cans for a while now, but i love the 599s and was wondering if the new 569s compare to these headphones in terms of soundstage. any users of the 569s and these got any opinions?

Top Bottom