• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely! Could be any or all of the above. Regardless, I find them quite pleasing after a week of use, though a little bright for me as I'm sensitive to treble. An added -2db shelf at 8k with a Q of 1 seems to do the trick on top of the sample 2 correction.

I've also noticed that the correction files on page 1 and 2 of this thread don't have the filter numbers of the shelves, and thus the shelves are not imported into APO + PEACE. Hope people realize this! The original and combined correction files have active shelves and won't sound as intended without fixing the missing info. Luckily, the sample 2 correction have 0db shelf corrections (for tuning I assume?) so it doesn't actually matter. Just an FYI...
If anyone wants, here are the fixed corrections with the shelves for importing into EQ APO+PEACE.
I've just checked, the shelves in my original files import fine into EqualiserAPO. You copy them to the config folder, and then in EqualiserAPO you click "Open" to open the file into EqualiserAPO, and there they are with the shelf filters active. I've not tried when using PEACE though.

Finder

I've just checked, the shelves in my original files import fine into EqualiserAPO. You copy them to the config folder, and then in EqualiserAPO you click "Open" to open the file into EqualiserAPO, and there they are with the shelf filters active. I've not tried when using PEACE though.
My bad. I've always used APO with Peace. Didn't even think of going through APO directly. :facepalm: Well, if someone wants the Peace files, they're there... Thanks again!!!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad. I've always used APO with Peace. Didn't even think of going through APO directly. :facepalm: Well, if someone wants the Peace files, they're there... Thanks again!!!
Ah, if my files definitely don't work through PEACE in terms of the shelving filters, then your files are good, thanks for that.

Finder

I'm finding, after the initial honeymoon period has worn off, that my Aeon Closed X was lacking something. Couldn't put my finger on it for days. Kept trying different EQ corrections from Oratory1990, Robbo99999, this thread, and everything in between. Just couldn't balance it out for some reason. It just always sounded a little thin with no low end grunt when I pushed it. Even my HD-650's with a bass shelf seemed to outperform the Closed X in bass/sub-bass! Every time I tried to add to the bass shelf of the Closed X, it just didn't keep up with the adjustments. The bass (especially sub-bass) never came in at moderate volumes, and the overall sound just started to fall apart getting bright and painful.

Why was this happening? My theory was my amp (Topping DX3 Pro+). As stated earlier in the thread, the actual sensitivity rating for the Closed X is unknown until properly tested. I'm of the belief that DCA wouldn't put the work into increasing the sensitivity by that big of a margin for Drop. Minus actual testing, it's more likely somewhere in between, and I'm guessing now that it's closer to the RT. Amir's measurement of the RT works out to a sensitivity of roughly 78.6 dB/mW (13ohms), needing an amp testing well with low impedance and low sensitivity headphones.

So, I made the assumption that the Aeon Closed X is closer to an Aeon RT and started calculating some voltages with Amir's measurements. Based on the RT, a 102 dBSPL would require 1.69V, already on/beyond the edge of what the Topping DX3 Pro+ could provide at 12 ohms. Trying to play the Closed X loud with the DX3 Pro+ would be troublesome. Also 'seems' to explain why I couldn't get the positive bass shelf adjustments to sound right.

Conclusion? Minus actual testing data, I took a leap and bought the Topping A30 Pro (couldn't quite bring myself to grab the A90 Discreet). The Aeon Closed X came alive! Adjustments of the bass shelf started to work as expected, and the sub-bass came in absolutely beautifully. Everything seemed to balance out very well. More importantly, a side by side comparison (volume matched as close as possible by ear) of the DX3 Pro+ and the A30 Pro amps confirms (in my head at least) what I had initially thought. Pushing the DX3 Pro+ quickly causes problems even at relatively low listening volumes.

TLDR: The Aeon Closed X seems to require an amp testing well with low impedance AND low sensitivity headphones. IMHO, Drop's sensitivity listing is most likely wrong. A DAC/AMP combo like the Topping DX3 Pro+ (as fantastic as it is for many headphones at its price point) just didn't cut it with the Closed X. Until the DCA Aeon Closed X is properly tested, I would suggest people treat it like an Aeon RT and its associated power requirements and NOT based on the numbers from Drop. Like Amir has said, take the amp out of the equation budget allowing (at least I think I remember him saying something along these lines). With a new Topping A30 Pro amp, I'm finding the Oratory1990 EQ with a couple of dB added to the bass shelf is absolutely amazing. The Sample #2 EQ in this thread seems to recess the vocals a little too much to my ears.

YMMV. I sure hope this isn't all in my head. :oops:

doug2761

Forum Donor
Pushing the DX3 Pro+ quickly causes problems even at relatively low listening volumes.

Interesting outcome. Amir's test of the DX3 Pro Plus showed that can output 1.5 watts @32 Ohms while the THX 789 can do 1.3 watts @33 Ohms. The THX is capable of more power into lower impedance loads as measured by Archimago. I have the THX and the Drop Aeon X. I use it with the gain set to medium and have plenty of listening volume and headroom. Amir noted some challenges at 0 db with his Stealth headphones but that seemed a bit high on the volume side. Given what you've experienced, I'm glad I went with the THX 789 but also surprised that you have headroom limits with the Aeon X given the lower gain settings that work for me on the 789.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm finding, after the initial honeymoon period has worn off, that my Aeon Closed X was lacking something. Couldn't put my finger on it for days. Kept trying different EQ corrections from Oratory1990, Robbo99999, this thread, and everything in between. Just couldn't balance it out for some reason. It just always sounded a little thin with no low end grunt when I pushed it. Even my HD-650's with a bass shelf seemed to outperform the Closed X in bass/sub-bass! Every time I tried to add to the bass shelf of the Closed X, it just didn't keep up with the adjustments. The bass (especially sub-bass) never came in at moderate volumes, and the overall sound just started to fall apart getting bright and painful.

Why was this happening? My theory was my amp (Topping DX3 Pro+). As stated earlier in the thread, the actual sensitivity rating for the Closed X is unknown until properly tested. I'm of the belief that DCA wouldn't put the work into increasing the sensitivity by that big of a margin for Drop. Minus actual testing, it's more likely somewhere in between, and I'm guessing now that it's closer to the RT. Amir's measurement of the RT works out to a sensitivity of roughly 78.6 dB/mW (13ohms), needing an amp testing well with low impedance and low sensitivity headphones.

So, I made the assumption that the Aeon Closed X is closer to an Aeon RT and started calculating some voltages with Amir's measurements. Based on the RT, a 102 dBSPL would require 1.69V, already on/beyond the edge of what the Topping DX3 Pro+ could provide at 12 ohms. Trying to play the Closed X loud with the DX3 Pro+ would be troublesome. Also 'seems' to explain why I couldn't get the positive bass shelf adjustments to sound right.

Conclusion? Minus actual testing data, I took a leap and bought the Topping A30 Pro (couldn't quite bring myself to grab the A90 Discreet). The Aeon Closed X came alive! Adjustments of the bass shelf started to work as expected, and the sub-bass came in absolutely beautifully. Everything seemed to balance out very well. More importantly, a side by side comparison (volume matched as close as possible by ear) of the DX3 Pro+ and the A30 Pro amps confirms (in my head at least) what I had initially thought. Pushing the DX3 Pro+ quickly causes problems even at relatively low listening volumes.

TLDR: The Aeon Closed X seems to require an amp testing well with low impedance AND low sensitivity headphones. IMHO, Drop's sensitivity listing is most likely wrong. A DAC/AMP combo like the Topping DX3 Pro+ (as fantastic as it is for many headphones at its price point) just didn't cut it with the Closed X. Until the DCA Aeon Closed X is properly tested, I would suggest people treat it like an Aeon RT and its associated power requirements and NOT based on the numbers from Drop. Like Amir has said, take the amp out of the equation budget allowing (at least I think I remember him saying something along these lines). With a new Topping A30 Pro amp, I'm finding the Oratory1990 EQ with a couple of dB added to the bass shelf is absolutely amazing. The Sample #2 EQ in this thread seems to recess the vocals a little too much to my ears.

I run the Closed X with Topping A50s, JDS Atom Amp and even the Hidizs S9 Pro dongle and it was this headphone that converted me to the HD650-beating bass of planar 'phones. Even with the dongle (ruanning balanced), I can crank SPL that is plenty loud (if not as loud as with the desktop amps) with deep bass and far cleaner bass than my HD6XX (=HD650) can come close to. They drive the Noire perfectly well, too. I don't know why the DX3Pro wouldn't work, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. As I understand it, you are right that the Closed X is the RT under a different name. Glad things finally worked out for you.

Last edited:

Finder

Interesting outcome. Amir's test of the DX3 Pro Plus showed that can output 1.5 watts @32 Ohms while the THX 789 can do 1.3 watts @33 Ohms. The THX is capable of more power into lower impedance loads as measured by Archimago. I have the THX and the Drop Aeon X. I use it with the gain set to medium and have plenty of listening volume and headroom. Amir noted some challenges at 0 db with his Stealth headphones but that seemed a bit high on the volume side. Given what you've experienced, I'm glad I went with the THX 789 but also surprised that you have headroom limits with the Aeon X given the lower gain settings that work for me on the 789.
Again, I'm hoping it's not all in my head. :p If you look at the Amir's graph for the Dx3 Pro+, it does have a decent amount of power at 32 ohms like you said, but at 12 ohms, it drops quickly to around 213 mW give or take. Although Amir didn't provide information down to 12 Ohms for for the A30 Pro, I took a gamble it'd be okay given the ridiculous power measurements at 33 Ohms through the unbalanced plug. Would have loved to go with the A90 Discreet with its measured 8 watts at 12 Ohms, but alas too much $$ for me.

I'm so grateful for @amirm for putting all this information out there. It's so nice to have this type of detail to make informed buying decisions as well as to help troubleshoot problems! Here's to hoping Amir will be able to measure the Closed X. In fact, it would be very nice if he can measure it with both the perforated pads as well as the normal pads to see if it really is just a redressed RT. Maybe I'll buy a set of normal pads and send him the headphones for measurement, but at the moment I'm just having too much fun listening to them. Perhaps I'll look into it once the 2nd honeymoon period wears off. :D

Finder

I run the Closed X with Topping A50s, JDS Atom Amp and even the Hidizs S9 Pro dongle and it was this headphone that converted me to the HD650-beating bass of planar 'phones. Even with the dongle (ruanning balanced), I can crank SPL that is plenty loud (if not as loud as with the desktop amps) with deep bass and far cleaner bass than my HD6XX (=HD650) can come close to. They drive the Noire perfectly well, too. I don't know why the DX3Pro wouldn't work, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. As I understand it, you are right that the Closed X is the RT under a different name. Glad things finally worked out for you.
There's also the possibility I have a dud DX3 Pro+, or the possibility I'm imagining it all to justify a new amp purchase. :D Now I "need" the matching DAC to go with the A30 Pro. Lol.

JanesJr1

There's also the possibility I have a dud DX3 Pro+, or the possibility I'm imagining it all to justify a new amp purchase. :D Now I "need" the matching DAC to go with the A30 Pro. Lol.
I understand the amp-purchase rationale. I did the same thing buying the Noire after already owning the Closed X. I knew that spending more for something similar (the phones are a lot alike) didn't make sense compared to either sitting tight or getting something with different strengths and weaknesses to push my learning curve. But I liked the Closed X sound and got a perfectionist bug. I've found reasons to appreciate (=rationalize) the Noire, and the reasons are real enough, but I'm just saying I know what you mean.

Finder

I understand the amp-purchase rationale. I did the same thing buying the Noire after already owning the Closed X. I knew that spending more for something similar (the phones are a lot alike) didn't make sense compared to either sitting tight or getting something with different strengths and weaknesses to push my learning curve. But I liked the Closed X sound and got a perfectionist bug. I've found reasons to appreciate (=rationalize) the Noire, and the reasons are real enough, but I'm just saying I know what you mean.
And here I thought the Gear Acquisition Syndrome would go away after I took a break from photography. Nope, it's quite alive and well...

JanesJr1

And here I thought the Gear Acquisition Syndrome would go away after I took a break from photography. Nope, it's quite alive and well...
Now that I know that Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a named diagnosis for a chronic condition, I can just accept it as a medical affliction rather than a failure of character ...

The three of us should start a GASanon group...:rolleyes::eek:

Snoopy

Major Contributor

The noire are still pretty affordable compared to other closed back headphones that might offer a bit more here and there.

I've ordered the meze liric to compare them to the noire. If there is a noticeable difference I might consider selling the noire and getting the Stealth next

JanesJr1

The noire are still pretty affordable compared to other closed back headphones that might offer a bit more here and there.

I've ordered the meze liric to compare them to the noire. If there is a noticeable difference I might consider selling the noire and getting the Stealth next
Let us know if you can compare the Noire to the Lyric or the Stealth...

JanesJr1

The three of us should start a GASanon group...:rolleyes::eek:
I think that acronym could be mis-interpreted as a society of flatulent apprentice chefs, moreso than a bunch of hangdog tech-spenders....

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Let us know if you can compare the Noire to the Lyric or the Stealth...

Once they arrive I will. But there are plenty of reviews for both headphones out there and people will always have very different opinions.

The Stealth are really a option that is very far away. Maybe something for towards the end of next year at best

I think that acronym could be mis-interpreted as a society of flatulent apprentice chefs, moreso than a bunch of hangdog tech-spenders....
No problem - the more the merrier!

antikryst

what volume level were you running it on the DX3 Pro+? i find myself at high gain at around -20 on Tidal with windows cranked to 100%. then i adjust from there as needed depending on the song.

also am wanting for a more powerful amp... but maybe this will come some time christmas if the budget allows.

Finder

what volume level were you running it on the DX3 Pro+? i find myself at high gain at around -20 on Tidal with windows cranked to 100%. then i adjust from there as needed depending on the song.

also am wanting for a more powerful amp... but maybe this will come some time christmas if the budget allows.
I was usually running high gain at around -27 give or take on average. I'd push it a bit depending on the tracks and my mood. The problem I 'perceived' was when I really pushed it a bit with tracks that had a healthy dose of bass and lots of other things going on, up to -10 or higher for short periods of time. It just didn't seem clean, and the bass didn't keep up with the volume changes. But I'm completely open to the fact that I just wanted another amp and was imagining reasons to get one. Personally, I'd say the analog volume knob on the A30 Pro was justification enough for the 'upgrade'. :p

antikryst

I was usually running high gain at around -27 give or take on average. I'd push it a bit depending on the tracks and my mood. The problem I 'perceived' was when I really pushed it a bit with tracks that had a healthy dose of bass and lots of other things going on, up to -10 or higher for short periods of time. It just didn't seem clean, and the bass didn't keep up with the volume changes. But I'm completely open to the fact that I just wanted another amp and was imagining reasons to get one. Personally, I'd say the analog volume knob on the A30 Pro was justification enough for the 'upgrade'. :p

LOL. oh no. -27ish on high gain doesnt really bring out the bass for me. really have to listen somewhere in the loud zone on the X closed for it to come alive in the bass. but yeah. go get a new amp and let us know how that goes.

Top Bottom