• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

dav3

Glad to hear it @dav3! And kudos to the Asus card!
Cheers!

Yeah I couldn't be happier with how it sounds. The Asus sound card has served me well, I've used it pretty much on a daily basis for 12 years and it's never missed a beat. Apparently you can upgrade the headphone amp itself on these too, but it sounds great as is.

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took out all the inserts, and even without EQ to my ears much preferred the sound. The details, especially in things like female vocals are so much more enjoyable. Like there is more sauce on the dish :) Then, I applied your EQ @Robbo99999 and oh my goodness..... I can't put these down. It's like a whole new dimension of musical enjoyment has opened up and I don't want to leave. Truly fantastic, I'm gobsmacked.
Nice, which EQ of mine are you using? I think there's 3 different EQ's I did for the Closed X - Sample #1, Sample #2, and the average of Sample 1&2.

dav3

Nice, which EQ of mine are you using? I think there's 3 different EQ's I did for the Closed X - Sample #1, Sample #2, and the average of Sample 1&2.
I applied Sample #2 and was pleased with it right away. It doesn't sound like it's missing anything to me. Haven't tried the average of the two samples yet, will give it a go to compare sometime.

Thank you for sharing it, It's good stuff!

Construct

I've also been happy with Sample #2 EQ.

Although I wouldn't say the Sample #1+#2 EQ sounds worse, necessarily. It is slightly different, however, and I haven't really invested enough time with it to really know if I'd prefer it. I suppose I've avoided it because it feels like a compromise solution.

Also: These are the only headphones I've bought that have a pseudo-burn-in change over the first few hours. It's not actually the headphones changing their sound, though. It was the ear pads softening up enough to produce a proper seal. The headphones were cold when I first put them on because I brought them straight in from outside, but as they physically warmed up and the pads settled the bass improved significantly.

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I applied Sample #2 and was pleased with it right away. It doesn't sound like it's missing anything to me. Haven't tried the average of the two samples yet, will give it a go to compare sometime.

Thank you for sharing it, It's good stuff!
I've also been happy with Sample #2 EQ.

Although I wouldn't say the Sample #1+#2 EQ sounds worse, necessarily. It is slightly different, however, and I haven't really invested enough time with it to really know if I'd prefer it. I suppose I've avoided it because it feels like a compromise solution.

Also: These are the only headphones I've bought that have a pseudo-burn-in change over the first few hours. It's not actually the headphones changing their sound, though. It was the ear pads softening up enough to produce a proper seal. The headphones were cold when I first put them on because I brought them straight in from outside, but as they physically warmed up and the pads settled the bass improved significantly.
It does seem most people prefer Sample #2 EQ. There were quite a lot of thoughts going around that Sample #1 looked a little dodgy in it's measurement (as in it might have been an unusual unit), so some of us were thinking that Sample #2 is likely to be closer to headphones out there in the wild vs Sample #1.

dav3

I picked up a Burson Play Mate 2 today, very impressed with how it sounds. Really like the balance of detail and warmth/softness.

Could listen to it all day (actually I did :)) with barely any fatigue. It sounds very natural, imaging and dynamics are good too.

In my opinion it pairs very well with the DCA Aeon Closed X. Haven't seen any reviews use this combo so I thought I'd mention that here.

Versus the Asus stx sound card; while it had enough power to make them loud, the sound quality improvement is very apparent.

Top Bottom