• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drop AKG K7XX Review (Headphone)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm going to investigate my pairs here for sure. I am seriously interested to see if all my AKGs have >0.5% THD right in the midband at levels in the mid 90s.

The ones I measured remain below 0.5% or just touch it (K500 as well) when you remain below 90dB SPL in the midrange.

jensgk

Forum Donor
It would be interesting to see what frequencies these distortions consist of.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
they can be seen in the plots Amir made.
The bands are very narrow though and at comfortable listening levels remain below audible levels.
Just don't play these headphones very loud. The shoutiness they display at loud levels may well be the distortion.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also love mines, bought 12 years ago, but now I'm little puzzled because I'm not sure if what I love is the distortion. I assume I should learn to hear distortion.

With the excitement of seeing my (almost) headphones reviewed I forgot to thanks @amirm for this review.
A very good point. A lot of people see distortion numbers and assume we both know what that means and what it would translate to in the listening experience. I am not sure, speaking for myself and I suspect quite a few "lay" members (those without technical education/ experience in the field), that is actually the case.

I'm far from a trained listener and tend to judge sound simply as "good" or "bad" or "better than X/ worse than X". I am not competent to listen to a high distortion transducer vs a low one and detect in real world listening what elements of what my ears are hearing are distortion related.

I do think some casual posters confuse distortion and noise though, with comments like "I crank them and hear no distortion" when I think they mean hiss, static, crackles etc.

Davidbraham1983

Graphs from Crin show that K701/702 and K7XX are actually quite a bit different. It would be interesting to know if K702 exhibits the same distortion problems though.
graph - 2021-07-05T114650.846.png

jensgk

Forum Donor
Still, for the quality as tested, about 180€ too expensive. ;)
Well, if you are lucky to get one of them without the distortions (as shown by Robbo99999 in post #12), and use oratory90's EQ, then they are well worth their value, because of the comfort and great soundstage. In Europe they cost the equivalent of $160. (I am talking about the K702, not the DROP-version)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Graphs from Crin show that K701/702 and K7XX are actually quite a bit different. It would be interesting to know if K702 exhibits the same distortion problems though.View attachment 139260
One of mine does, one of them doesn't:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...p-akg-k7xx-review-headphone.24732/post-836520
But I'd still like to see Amir test the K702 even if he did shoot them down......it wouldn't change my perspective on them being my favourite headphone, but it would help to put some of his measurements into perspective for myself.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Still, for the quality as tested, about 180€ too expensive. ;)

Dunno, they are very comfortable, sturdy and sound decent, removable cable.
I still don't get why AKG keep using the elastic bands that lose their tension after a few years. Points off for that one.
The replacement pads alone (they are sold a piece) are just above $100.- the pair.
The K702 = $ 160.- in that light the $ 200.- is a steal.
I own one, I never use it though. Not worth $ 200.- IMO but certainly more than $20 !

respice finem

Major Contributor
OK, probably. Maybe the future is active, with most problems "DSP"-ed away? but this would be OT here.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can't DSP distortion away though as it differs per amplitude and driver.
For FR you could make improvements but made acc to what measurements and how accurate are they when individually measured ?

jensgk

Forum Donor
OK, probably. Maybe the future is active, with most problems "DSP"-ed away? but this would be OT here.
If you can have some headphones that works great with DSP, relatively cheaply, why buy some more expensive?
I bought the K702's based on the RTING's measurements and review. For the few headphones I know well, I tend to agree more with their reviews, than with Amirs.
Added: But I only use them with EQ (using moodeplayer with camilladsp), without EQ I don't think they are anything special.

jensgk

Forum Donor
You can't DSP distortion away though as it differs per amplitude and driver.
Is it theoretically impossible, given enough information about the specific driver and some adaptive non-linear (deep learning?) filter?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is it theoretically impossible, given enough information about the specific driver and some adaptive non-linear (deep learning?) filter?

It will still depend on the measurement method. One would also have to include variables like seal, pad wear, ear shape/size etc. and above all which measurement method and targets are used.

ZENERGiA

Ouch...do you have a k712 PRO put aside for later review @amirm ? I suspect it might (just might) perform better.

jensgk

Forum Donor
It will still depend on the measurement method. One would also have to include variables like seal, pad wear, ear shape/size etc. and above all which measurement method and targets are used.
Yes, but if you are the manufacturer you could make some kind of complete system identification and supply some software with your headphones, that could implement the DSP. You could even include some calibrated mics inside the headphones, so that the DSP could do some real-time control-feedback :)
I hope we will see more of that stuff, also in speakers :)

Top Bottom