• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Driver choice for a shallow subwoofer

OP
A

ai1

Wow, that's a really beautiful build! I haven't gotten down to mine as yet as started on building other projects instead. Very inspired by yours now.

Are the gaps above and below the minidsp amp plate intentional?
Thank you!
These are the vents (otherwise air circulation is impossible inside the amplifier enclosure), the backplate of minidsp-PWR does not have any, and is not physically connected to the heatsink

OP
A

ai1

Beautiful sub! About the plate amp why did you choose to use that one instead of hypex? Btw, what is that bike thing at the background?:eek:
Thanks!
I had a chance of getting two of them for half the price (unused) second hand. Another advantage of using those for me is that I have some experience with minidsp plugins; also, as a bonus, they have digital (AES/EBU) input/output.

The friend I borrowed the wood shop from https://www.benoitgonin.eu/ does a number of fun projects (cf this one), the wooden bike is just one of them. May ask for more information if you are interested :)

capslock

While it is has been recognized for years that human hearing is not very sensitive to low bass frequencies, which must be reproduced with much more power and intensity in order to be heard, what these results show is that our detection threshold for noise (made up of harmonically related and non-harmonically related test tones) is practically non-existent at low frequencies. (The noise test tones are noise in the sense that they are not musically related to tones commonly found in musical instruments.) In fact, the noise tones at 20 Hz and 40 Hz had to be increased to levels louder than the music itself before we even noticed them. Put another way, our ability to hear the test frequency noise tones at frequencies of 40 Hz and below is extremely crude. Indeed, the results show we are virtually deaf to these distortions at those frequencies. Even in the mid-bass at 280 Hz and lower, the noise can be around -14 dB (20% distortion), about half as loud as the music itself, before we hear it.
https://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/distortion
I don't agree with your summary. They played LF sinus tones that could have been subharmonics, given their frequency range, but were not musically related, i.e. a fraction of any bass note in the music.

The problem with sub distortion is a different one. Say we play a 30 Hz fundamental and the sub gives us harmonics at 60, 90, 120 and 150 Hz. We hear these much better than the fundamental, so they might result in us being able to locate the sub, or they might give us bloated upper bass.

Top Bottom