• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

drinking destiller water

Status
Not open for further replies.

mansr

Major Contributor
If you somehow find a match head sized piece of fluoride & tell your local government about it, I believe that most likely you will be highly interrogated about it and they will have someone in a hazmat suit come pick it up. It is that hazardous.
Which fluoride and what hazard are you referring to?

mansr

Major Contributor
The one that this refers to: Toxicity of Sodium Fluoride is about the same as Arsenic.
Metallic arsenic or some compound? Acute or long-term toxicity? Arsenic is a carcinogen while sodium fluoride is not, fwiw.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one that this refers to: Toxicity of Sodium Fluoride is about the same as Arsenic.
??? Screen capture from my NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards.

Screenshot_20220529-155414.png Screenshot_20220529-155335.png

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
I was looking at PubChem and couldn't find any obvious support for the claim either. Then again, toxicology is not my area of expertise, so I could have missed or misinterpreted something. I did get the impression that the two substances affect the body in very different ways, making a "same as" assessment seem dubious.

Kijanki

"Same as" was intendent not as chemical toxicity but rather as the harm it can do. Sodium Fluoride behaves pretty much like neurotoxin that affects brain and also accumulates in the body. I use RO to filter it out because I don't want to drink diluted rat poison (Sodium Fluoride was used as rat poison not so long ago). It is dangerous chemical that can even affect brain and yes - it is carcinogenic. It is added to water as non-medical grade without my implied consent and without any control of the dose. It bothers me that few year old child can die after swallowing half of fluoridated toothpaste and even when it swallows only a little bit each day (children tend to do it) it accumulates in the body.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Sodium Fluoride behaves pretty much like neurotoxin that affects brain
It depends on the level... too much causes fluorosis. There is absolutely no problems with the levels used in water here in Aus and likely the majority of countries that use same at similar levels... the amount used being the key.

JSmith

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was on a ship for years where our fresh water came from an RO and we didn't remineralize, we got the same ultrapure water as the reactor. It tasted great but had a variety of negative health effects. Was also lousy at dissolving soap which made shipboard showering that extra bit unpleasant.

I guess it depends on the nature of the ship and the regulatory regime but it was a requirement on the ships I served on. Especially if the water plant is designed for properly demineralized water for steam plant it's important to have a re-mineralizing unit on the line to the domestic drinking water system. All the ships I sailed on had separate systems for demin and drinking water, but they used a common RO or evaporation plant and with the drinking water going through additional treatment to put some minerals back in.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A problem easy to lose sight of with very large RO or evaporation systems is that they also create an awful lot of brine which has to go somewhere, generally back to sea.

mansr

Major Contributor
"Same as" was intendent not as chemical toxicity but rather as the harm it can do.
That's the same thing.

Sodium Fluoride behaves pretty much like neurotoxin that affects brain and also accumulates in the body.
Under continuous exposure, fluoride accumulates in bones, but this not permanent. It does not accumulate in other parts of the body. (WHO)

I use RO to filter it out because I don't want to drink diluted rat poison (Sodium Fluoride was used as rat poison not so long ago).
Many substances are toxic in large doses yet harmless or even essential in smaller amounts.

It is dangerous chemical that can even affect brain and yes - it is carcinogenic.
There is no evidence of sodium fluoride being carcinogenic. (WHO)

It is added to water as non-medical grade without my implied consent and without any control of the dose.
Nonsense. Additives to municipal water supplies are of adequate purity, and the amount is measured with adequate precision. Otherwise the water wouldn't be safe.

It bothers me that few year old child can die after swallowing half of fluoridated toothpaste and even when it swallows only a little bit each day (children tend to do it) it accumulates in the body.
Don't let small children use fluoridated toothpaste, then, at least not unsupervised.

You seem to be relying on sources of extremely dubious quality, bordering on dangerous.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
You seem to be relying on sources of extremely dubious quality, bordering on dangerous.

It astounds me as to the gullibility of people who refuse to acknowledge the current scientific/peer reviewed literature yet are perfectly happy to believe and follow with blind faith the online disinformation of billy bob and his junior school scientific knowledge, actually that’s a slur against junior school kids, they’d have more scientific reasoning.

Kijanki

FDA Mandates Poison Warning for All Fluoride Toothpastes

Due to the risk of severe poisoning posed by ingestion of fluoride toothpastes, the Food & Drug Administration now requires that all fluoride toothpastes sold in the United States carry the following poison warning:

“WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately.”

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
<50-250 ppmLow: Lacking minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
300-500 ppmIdeal: This level is the sweet spot for TDS in drinking water. The water most likely contains minerals and does not taste flat.
600-900 ppmNot great: Consider a reverse osmosis system to filter TDS.
1000-2000 ppmBad: It is not recommended to drink water at this TDS level.
>2000Unacceptable: A TDS level above 2000 ppm is unsafe and household filters can not properly filter this level of contamination.

JSmith

Hey, it's like SINAD. Better numbers must sound better too, and don't you say otherwise. ;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It astounds me as to the gullibility of people who refuse to acknowledge the current scientific/peer reviewed literature yet are perfectly happy to believe and follow with blind faith the online disinformation of billy bob and his junior school scientific knowledge, actually that’s a slur against junior school kids, they’d have more scientific reasoning.
It astounds me believe as to the gullibility of people who refuse to question anything from any government or NGO, just accepting without question (like "What is their motive & why?"). Because they say so? That is what governments and NGO's count on. To control the herd.
My mother is a survivor of Hitler.
“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
― Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FDA Mandates Poison Warning for All Fluoride Toothpastes

Due to the risk of severe poisoning posed by ingestion of fluoride toothpastes, the Food & Drug Administration now requires that all fluoride toothpastes sold in the United States carry the following poison warning:

“WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately.”

We all know -- unless we are ignorant or trying to foment FUD -- that a great many substances we commonly use and ingest can be harmful in excess or under uncommon circumstances (e.g., water, chocolate, aspirin)

Does that site say how much fluoride per body mass needs to be consumed for it to become a poison control center call?

Does it have stats on how many actual cases of such poisoning occur yearly, stratified by age group?

Do tell us.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It astounds me believe as to the gullibility of people who refuse to question anything from any government or NGO, just accepting without question (like "What is their motive & why?"). Because they say so? That is what governments and NGO's count on. To control the herd.
My mother is a survivor of Hitler.
“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
― Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Wow, government *and* NGOs.

Who said anything about refusing to question "ANYTHING" from them?

Only you and people like you.

Hitler appealed to paranoia of Germans. He too raved against ruling cabals with secret nefarious agendas. Poor Nietzsche sure had an unfortunate influence there too. Hope your mom is proud of you, you truth warrior you. (Hey, you brought them up.)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
It astounds me believe as to the gullibility of people who refuse to question anything from any government or NGO

Oh, I’m sorry…….I didn’t realise that by participating in refuting one quack distilled water theory that it would lead to blindly following my leaders and the scientific community without question. I shall remedy my ways and proudly wear my “stop the shill, question everything” badge with pride……then go shilling for the saviour of souls, god amongst men, truth teller extraordinaire - Alex Jones.

On second thoughts…..

1st in BSc Mechanical Engineering and 2.1 in BSc Electronic Engineering so I think I can work it out for myself who to trust and who to ignore

mansr

Major Contributor
Does that site say how much fluoride per body mass needs to be consumed for it to become a poison control center call?
5 mg/kg body weight, according to https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB09325. Toothpaste (mine, anyway) contains 0.315% sodium fluoride by weight, so you'd have to eat something like half a tube to reach that dose. Hardly anything that's likely to happen by accident. The phrasing of the FDA warning (which I verified to be accurate) is probably chosen to avoid unnecessary ambiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom