• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

drinking destiller water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The idea that water without minerals will leach them from your body is a little farfetched since most of minerals are absorbed from the food we eat and not from the water.

It has zero/nothing/nada/zilch to do with getting a daily dose of minerals from drinking water. There is high quack value in that website article, not everything you read online is scientifically correct.

By drinking demineralised water your kidneys will need to absorb/use minerals from your body in order to maintain homeostasis and correct functioning of your body’s extracellular fluid level, you are basically operating your kidneys in reverse and placing them under stress that evolution has not factored in.

Last edited:

Destination: Moon

some of the bottle water shocking high numbers and mineral less and distill water far less . distill water tastes nice .
Some of the best tasting water has high contiguity
I drink RO water for last 20 years with very little mineralization added and no negative side effects. The idea that water without minerals will leach them from your body is a little farfetched since most of minerals are absorbed from the food we eat and not from the water. My main reason for drinking RO water isn't chlorine but fluoride that can be very harmful, and before you say it is natural - it isn't. Sodium Fluoride is not natural (80x less toxic Calcium Fluoride is). Toxicity of Sodium Fluoride is about the same as Arsenic. I has very little effect on the teeth and as such abandoned in whole Europe. Teeth become static at about age of 12 and don't absorb Fluoride from the water. Program of adding Fluoride (non-medical grade) was sponsored by Alcoa - aluminum mills that had to pay a lot of money to get rid of this toxic byproduct (now they make money selling it). You can easily get rid of chlorine with simple carbon filter, but not from Fluoride. You need RO or deionizing columns or distilling water. As for harmful effects of removing Calccium or Magnesium from drinking water - every water softener does it by replacing Calcium and Magnesium Ions with Sodium Ions (ion exchange)

RO is not the same as distillation. Most home RO systems that operate at low pressures and single pass, do very little demineralization.

Kijanki

Some of the best tasting water has high contiguity

RO is not the same as distillation. Most home RO systems that operate at low pressures and single pass, do very little demineralization.
RO systems, like mine remove minerals completely. TDS of my water before RO is in order of 150 and after RO drops to about 4.
Last time I tested my blood mineral panel everything was fine with Calcium being a little bit too high. Home RO systems remove about 95-98% of Calcium and about 93% of Fluoride. This can be found on any supplied test data for the membranes at normal home water pressures (about 50psi) and my TDS test also confirms it. It is also important to know that RO filtration is also the best way to remove unhealthy components from the water:

Last edited:

RO systems, like mine remove minerals completely. TDS of my water before RO is in order of 150 and after RO drops to about 4.
Last time I tested my blood mineral panel everything was fine with Calcium being a little bit too high. Home RO systems remove about 95-98% of Calcium and about 93% of Fluoride. This can be found on any supplied test data for the membranes at normal home water pressures (about 50psi) and my TDS test also confirms it. It is also important to know that RO filtration is also the best way to remove unhealthy components from the water:

I operated an industrial RO plant that ran about 3000 gallons an hour. Your measuring conductivity with your pen meter. It's interpreted to TDS but it's not really a true measure. The smaller ions pass thru your membrane. It'll extract some to most of the bigger molecules - complexes and organics and metals, depending on the condition of the membrane. But not all of the sodium or other dissolved salts.

But your right, RO is still the best way to filter water for drinking. Adding a carbon filter after the RO is also good practice and will further improve water quality

Holmz

Major Contributor
I drink RO water for last 20 years with very little mineralization added and no negative side effects. The idea that water without minerals will leach them from your body is a little farfetched since most of minerals are absorbed from the food we eat and not from the water. My main reason for drinking RO water isn't chlorine but fluoride that can be very harmful, and before you say it is natural - it isn't. Sodium Fluoride is not natural (80x less toxic Calcium Fluoride is). Toxicity of Sodium Fluoride is about the same as Arsenic. I has very little effect on the teeth and as such abandoned in whole Europe. Teeth become static at about age of 12 and don't absorb Fluoride from the water. Program of adding Fluoride (non-medical grade) was sponsored by Alcoa - aluminum mills that had to pay a lot of money to get rid of this toxic byproduct (now they make money selling it). You can easily get rid of chlorine with simple carbon filter, but not from Fluoride. You need RO or deionizing columns or distilling water. As for harmful effects of removing Calccium or Magnesium from drinking water - every water softener does it by replacing Calcium and Magnesium Ions with Sodium Ions (ion exchange)

And we are back to:
Dr-Strangelove-1964-featured.jpg

The RO in the link you shared has feed water that is salt water. The membranes used to desalinate water are very tight and need very high pressure to operate. Around 800 psi. These have a higher rejection rate and need higher pressures because the pores of the membrane are smaller than home systems.

This has a lot of applications. From protein filtering using large pores (ultra filtering) to desalinization. Pretty cool stuff

Somafunk

Major Contributor
2 pair nylon stockings, 2 condoms, one 9mm pistol, 1 box ammunition, 100 dollars in gold, 100 dollars in rupples.... Shoot....

Sounds suspiciously like a plot for the new Bond movie.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Thanks guys, I'm gonna look at my local tool hire place. The reason I asked was I've never drilled an SS sink before and, although it has a nice 10mm hole already, the last thing I wanted to do was:
a) bugger it completely.
b) have the bit grab, twist my arm and/or break the kitchen window with the drill as I'm thrown sideways...
c) have to buy a new sink.

I'm tempted to just put a black rubber flush bung in the hole and forget the soap dispenser thing- but I already bought it.
I checked my drill bit kit from Milwaukee and they're cobalt bits, but my kit only goes to 1/2". I didn't see a single 1" cobalt bit so maybe try the step bit Doodski mentioned(steep at $200+). What ever you use, use some high temp cutting oil, too.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I drink RO water for last 20 years with very little mineralization added and no negative side effects. The idea that water without minerals will leach them from your body is a little farfetched since most of minerals are absorbed from the food we eat and not from the water.

That doesn't follow logically. The idea isn't that you get most of your minerals from tap water; it's that pure water will 'want' to leach what minerals are there. It's a matter of chemical equilibrium. Whether it's a real issue, I don't know.

My main reason for drinking RO water isn't chlorine but fluoride that can be very harmful, and before you say it is natural - it isn't.

Ok. I'm just going to stop here. My crank alarm is sounding.

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i'll be doing my 3rd distill water again around tonight i guess for another 6 liters that takes 4 hrs and another 3 or 4 hrs cooling chilling in the fridge for another great TDS reading of 003 which is way better than then 250 so i see .

JSmith

Master Contributor
TDS reading of 003 which is way better than then 250

<50-250 ppmLow: Lacking minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
300-500 ppmIdeal: This level is the sweet spot for TDS in drinking water. The water most likely contains minerals and does not taste flat.
600-900 ppmNot great: Consider a reverse osmosis system to filter TDS.
1000-2000 ppmBad: It is not recommended to drink water at this TDS level.
>2000Unacceptable: A TDS level above 2000 ppm is unsafe and household filters can not properly filter this level of contamination.

JSmith

600_OHM

Guys, this wall all figured out in 1964! There are some vital clues in this clip.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
fluoride that can be very harmful, and before you say it is natural - it isn't. Sodium Fluoride is not natural (80x less toxic Calcium Fluoride is). Toxicity of Sodium Fluoride is about the same as Arsenic. I has very little effect on the teeth and as such abandoned in whole Europe. Teeth become static at about age of 12 and don't absorb Fluoride from the water. Program of adding Fluoride (non-medical grade) was sponsored by Alcoa - aluminum mills that had to pay a lot of money to get rid of this toxic byproduct (now they make money selling it). You can easily get rid of chlorine with simple carbon filter, but not from Fluoride.

If you somehow find a match head sized piece of fluoride & tell your local government about it, I believe that most likely you will be highly interrogated about it and they will have someone in a hazmat suit come pick it up. It is that hazardous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom