• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

drinking destiller water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Electricians use a hole punch kit with an assortment of punches for different sized holes. One lent me the kit to put an additional hole in a SS sink I had to install, worked well, and a nice round clean cut. I don't know what they cost, but may be possible to rent one?
Like one of these?

EDIT: The part I linked to is for Mild Steel, Aluminum, Fiberglass, Plastic, Min. Pilot Hole 7/8".

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
destill water day and night tasteless as it is , is purer its also measurable .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
"i have drank from it"

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Distilled water isn't on its own bad for you. But it can become HIGHLY toxic. It's very aggressive in that it's one of the most potent polar solvents. If you leave it in contact with stainless steel or boil it in a metal teapot you will leach some very bad metals into your diet. Any metal parts of the distiller will also contribute some toxic metals to your diet.

I don't think the lack of minerals is the problem if your eating a balanced diet. But the aggressive nature of distilled water on its container is definitely something to be concerned about.

This also applies to AC condensate. It's dissolving all the metals that it forms on and is probably highly toxic due to copper, lead, aluminum, possibly cadmium, iron and other contamination.... Besides being microbially contaminated
Yes, if local water is sub-par, better to use a filter than distill. Less energy consumption filtering vs boiling as well.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i've added some iron to the destill water

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like those sorta, Greenlee mech. hvy duty w/ lg. rachet, but older. I had no idea they are that expensive(hydraulic models)
Those are the real deal tools. They last a longgg time. I think if he can get a rental of a hole punch for stainless or to purchase a cobalt drill bit/step bit.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
some of the bottle water shocking high numbers and mineral less and distill water far less . distill water tastes nice .

Destination: Moon

Right .

The OPE was part of the crypto code that the CRM114 was supposed to use.
The CRM auto destructed en route to La Puta (the whore).

Well it is sweeter because of pH being higher.
You can measure the pH if you have a hard believing it.

It also makes great ice cube which are very clear.

Ha! The CRM Descriminator! I remember that now.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I think if he can get a rental of a hole punch for stainless or to purchase a cobalt drill bit/step bit.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna look at my local tool hire place. The reason I asked was I've never drilled an SS sink before and, although it has a nice 10mm hole already, the last thing I wanted to do was:
a) bugger it completely.
b) have the bit grab, twist my arm and/or break the kitchen window with the drill as I'm thrown sideways...
c) have to buy a new sink.

I'm tempted to just put a black rubber flush bung in the hole and forget the soap dispenser thing- but I already bought it.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It depends on what the defects are. But distilling without immediate mineralization is not a good practice
Yes, to be clearer, by sub-par I wasn't referring to serious contamination so much as smell/taste. In Sydney we have reasonable tap water but it often has too much chlorine for my taste, so I don't usually drink it.

The health issues are more complex, and interesting. Drinking distilled water increases diuresis and discharge of electrolytes from the body, not necessarily beneficial. WHO drinking water recommendations include magnesium minimum of 10 mg/L with 20–30 mg/L optimum; calcium 20 mg/L minimum and 40–80 mg/L optimum and total water hardness (adding magnesium and calcium) of 2–4 mmo/litre, so distilled water is not optimal per those criteria. Distillation will remove fluoride, which may or may not be your health goal. Personal factors may be significant: for example I have good blood serum metrics generally but oddly low serum potassium, drinking distilled water would be detrimental there.

But there are a large number of potential contaminants in drinking water including VOCs, phenols, endocrine disruptors and so on that find their way into the water supply, along with chlorine/bromine disinfection byproducts such as trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids that are detrimental. Reticulated water systems are designed to deliver chlorine residual to ensure effective control of pathogens, so a strategy to remove residuals and contaminants prior to consumption but retain or supplement beneficial minerals etc is logical. More complex than just measuring TDS though.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
"Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink."
-- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Thanks guys, I'm gonna look at my local tool hire place. The reason I asked was I've never drilled an SS sink before and, although it has a nice 10mm hole already, the last thing I wanted to do was:
a) bugger it completely.
b) have the bit grab, twist my arm and/or break the kitchen window with the drill as I'm thrown sideways...

I'm tempted to just put a black rubber flush bung in the hole and forget the soap dispenser thing- but I already bought it.
Another suggestion: Before I retired I used a set of Milwaukee drill bits for SS ice machine units that had to be drilled to be ganged together. They were a new type of bit that worked best for me, tho I had to keep at least 2 sets on hand for the amount of drilling required out on the road. I will check my toolbox tonite to see what material they are made of and if they kit goes up to 1 inch. Just remember that you'll have to step up in sizes to get to your desired hole size. For me, these were better than any step-bit. Also call around to a SS metal shop to see what they recommend.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
a) bugger it completely.

I found a cobalt step bit for the drill. It's from a industrial supplier and they sell only the good stuff so the price is very high. Maybe a lower priced seller like a hardware store has something less expensive. I was buying cobalt drill bits for work at a tool retailer and from a hardware store. Up to about 3/8" they are not too expensive but after 5/8" the price jumps. Stainless steel is what is sometimes used for cutting steel so you need cobalt or a punch to do this properly.

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys are funny.

I just ripped out a $1000 water filtration 'reverse osmosis' system on Monday this week from under our kitchen sink. Three giant filter things, a pressure/balance tank, valves, pipes and chit all attached to a tap on the counter/sink. I hated the thing- took up too much space in the cupboard and I never trusted the water out of it. Our tap water is fabulous as it is. I've given the thing away to someone who is obsessed about the 'health benefits' of filtered water.

What did you not trust about the water from it?

(I don't use any filters -- NYC tap water being good enough for me)

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These are what i use John. Cheap, but work surprisingly well. They go through stainless steel like butter.

Kijanki

I drink RO water for last 20 years with very little mineralization added and no negative side effects. The idea that water without minerals will leach them from your body is a little farfetched since most of minerals are absorbed from the food we eat and not from the water. My main reason for drinking RO water isn't chlorine but fluoride that can be very harmful, and before you say it is natural - it isn't. Sodium Fluoride is not natural (80x less toxic Calcium Fluoride is). Toxicity of Sodium Fluoride is about the same as Arsenic. I has very little effect on the teeth and as such abandoned in whole Europe. Teeth become static at about age of 12 and don't absorb Fluoride from the water. Program of adding Fluoride (non-medical grade) was sponsored by Alcoa - aluminum mills that had to pay a lot of money to get rid of this toxic byproduct (now they make money selling it). You can easily get rid of chlorine with simple carbon filter, but not from Fluoride. You need RO or deionizing columns or distilling water. As for harmful effects of removing Calccium or Magnesium from drinking water - every water softener does it by replacing Calcium and Magnesium Ions with Sodium Ions (ion exchange)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom