• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

drinking destiller water

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree that clean water should be a basic human right. Living in the heart of the Great Lakes here in MI I see the worlds eyes upon us and I hope I'm dead before they start draining it off to save the south west.

However, anyone with a chem lawn in the south west should seriously rethink things...

JSmith

Master Contributor
fca.jpg

JSmith

tomtoo

Major Contributor
A tds measurement tells you not much about how healty your drinking water is.

It tells you more how good your water is for your washingmaschine.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The pH is generally higher, and it therefore usually tastes sweeter.
Isn't it heavy water that tastes sweeter? Not very cost-effective though...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you be surprised cats can smell the odor in the water and some won't touch it .
Yes, they'll drink rainwater that has accumulated in an upturned bin lid in someone's back yard but not tap water.

Mine would not drink water I put out for him. He'd inspect it but would not drink it. But he would drink the exact same water from my glass sat on the coffee table. I got an identical glass, filled it with identical water, put it by his food bowl. He would not drink it.

I couldn't work out what his thought process was with this. Only conclusion I could come to was that he had seen me drinking from my glass and concluded that water must be safe. Essentially using me as his poison tester. They're not as daft as they pretend to be.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is important. At sea ships generate fresh water from sea water using evaporation or reverse osmosis and there are mandatory requirements to ensure the water used for drinking is mineralised for the reason you mention. Drinking a bottle of demineralised water is no big deal, but using it as the main source of drinking water can lead to serious health issues in
On our ships (I was shipboard for 18 years, 6 to 8 weeks vacation a year) had bromine added. By the way, a Zero-water filter will take the taste of the bromine out.
In Saipan (on shore) we collected the distilled water that the A/C system made, piped it to a cistern that had a UV setup and charcoal filter (you never know what gets into the pipe) and used that. But, again, we only drank that water about 50% of the time.

formula 977

Vitamin C will neutralize the chlorine. Don't forget about the shower, your skin absorbs it as well.
Luckily, cats don't like showers.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Distilled water that has been demineralised is not suitable for drinking, you’ll leech essential minerals from your body and organ failure will be the consequence.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Water? Like from the toilet? :D (Idiocracy)

oh i heard the water in usa is far more shocking than the cleaner water in the uk ?
The U.S. is a big country! ;)

I live in Sunnyvale California and I think the part of the city I live in uses the same water as San Francisco which comes from a rain & snow fed reservoir with little or no industrialization along the way. San Franscisco is known for having good water. Other parts of Sunnyvale use well water which probably isn't as good, but we do get a report once or twice a year showing all of the minerals and contaminates. I think it's safe but I don't study the report or research the safe levels of all those minerals/compounds. ...One of the "problems" with modern science is that they can measure parts-per-billion of almost anything and there are some toxins everywhere and in everything!

I've read that municipal tap-water standards are more-strict than the FDA requirements for bottled water. But I assume that tap-water standards vary by region, and some (Like Flint Michigan) are not meeting their own standards. And most bottled water may far-exceed the minimum FDA standards.

New York City is also known for having excellent tap water. I don't remember where it comes from but it arrives in underground tunnels. It doesn't come from local rivers.

...There are also rumors of people distilling other beverages. :D

MCH

Major Contributor
trust no water mr. mulder .

i hear they putting way more alright chlorine or what ever else in the water . a neighbor convinced me . i got TDS to test the water and was shocked , shocked at the amount . after doing some destiller tests as got run the first few though the destiller to get the pipes filtered i guess ? once finished and tested water with TDS , wow i saw low numbers between 004 , 002 , way better than the 270 .

there is a taste difference with tap water and destiller water that tastes nicer .

so now i and my cats will be drinking destiller water .

process takes 4 hrs to turn the water into heat vapor that is filtered to fill the container . i get second container one filled with water cooled in the fridge and when getting low , due some more destiller , cleansing the water . also the TDS when testing the water after its been processed is hot will show a slightly higher TDS number 010 so and when once cooled in the fridge tested then shows lower TDS number of around 002 , it show 000 . theoretically .

But what exactly are you measuring? TDS is telling you roughly how much salts you have, does not necessarily need to be chlorine, maybe it is just that the water where you live is hard?
If you want to measure chlorine you need a total/free chlorine sensor.
What happens if you just leave the tap water over night and you measure again? Chlorine should be mostly gone by then.

In any case, distilling the water is an overkill, and an expensive and polluting one. If you feel you need to do something, just install a filter and your wallet, Greta and myself will be happier :)

RichT

Distilled water that has been demineralised is not suitable for drinking, you’ll leech essential minerals from your body and organ failure will be the consequence.
The leeching of collected debris in our bodies is a great thing to do. Remember that most of us live in a very polluted environment (especially us that live in big cities) and our bodies collect this debris which can have serious negative health consequences (especially us older folks). I say clean it out! Regards

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i sense some water company people here with all the negitive comments .lol
Water? Like from the toilet? :D (Idiocracy)

The U.S. is a big country! ;)

I live in Sunnyvale California and I think the part of the city I live in uses the same water as San Francisco which comes from a rain & snow fed reservoir with little or no industrialization along the way. San Franscisco is known for having good water. Other parts of Sunnyvale use well water which probably isn't as good, but we do get a report once or twice a year showing all of the minerals and contaminates. I think it's safe but I don't study the report or research the safe levels of all those minerals/compounds. ...One of the "problems" with modern science is that they can measure parts-per-billion of almost anything and there are some toxins everywhere and in everything!

I've read that municipal tap-water standards are more-strict than the FDA requirements for bottled water. But I assume that tap-water standards vary by region, and some (Like Flint Michigan) are not meeting their own standards. And most bottled water may far-exceed the minimum FDA standards.

New York City is also known for having excellent tap water. I don't remember where it comes from but it arrives in underground tunnels. It doesn't come from local rivers.

...There are also rumors of people distilling other beverages. :D
only this guy is silly enough to drink from a toilet . disgusting . bleach gets thrown down it .

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The leeching of collected debris in our bodies is a great thing to do. Remember that most of us live in a very polluted environment (especially us that live in big cities) and our bodies collect this debris which can have serious negative health consequences (especially us older folks). I say clean it out! Regards

:facepalm:

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Yes, they'll drink rainwater that has accumulated in an upturned bin lid in someone's back yard but not tap water.

Mine would not drink water I put out for him. He'd inspect it but would not drink it. But he would drink the exact same water from my glass sat on the coffee table. I got an identical glass, filled it with identical water, put it by his food bowl. He would not drink it.

I couldn't work out what his thought process was with this. Only conclusion I could come to was that he had seen me drinking from my glass and concluded that water must be safe. Essentially using me as his poison tester. They're not as daft as they pretend to be.
one of my late cats Sooty was always fussy about tap water . he would if really thirsty . my dad's late cat "Mow" she ( tortoiseshell ) wouldn't drink out of the bowl , only drink from birds water bowl outdoors .

mow.jpg
mow 1.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
one of my late cats Sooty was always fussy about tap water . he would if really thirsty . my dad's late cat "Mow" she ( tortoiseshell ) wouldn't drink out of the bowl , only drink from birds water bowl outdoors .

View attachment 207011View attachment 207012
Cats are finicky about lots of things for lots of reasons. They won't eat lots of foods that you eat. Do you follow a cat food diet?

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Cats are finicky about lots of things for lots of reasons. They won't eat lots of foods that you eat. Do you follow a cat food diet?
they both like coleslaw

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Sooty and Magic like custard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom