• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

drinking destiller water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andysu

Major Contributor
trust no water mr. mulder .

i hear they putting way more alright chlorine or what ever else in the water . a neighbor convinced me . i got TDS to test the water and was shocked , shocked at the amount . after doing some destiller tests as got run the first few though the destiller to get the pipes filtered i guess ? once finished and tested water with TDS , wow i saw low numbers between 004 , 002 , way better than the 270 .

there is a taste difference with tap water and destiller water that tastes nicer .

so now i and my cats will be drinking destiller water .

process takes 4 hrs to turn the water into heat vapor that is filtered to fill the container . i get second container one filled with water cooled in the fridge and when getting low , due some more destiller , cleansing the water . also the TDS when testing the water after its been processed is hot will show a slightly higher TDS number 010 so and when once cooled in the fridge tested then shows lower TDS number of around 002 , it show 000 . theoretically .

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
2011-01-22_1625.png

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
The pH is generally higher, and it therefore usually tastes sweeter.
if i wanted sweet water destiller , i'll add some sugar , like men in black . sugar water . no thanks . i know this makes water companies angry . i may think of harvesting the water , i mean where else has it been coming from for free for billions of years .

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Distilled water can take minerals out of your body, so: if I were drinking some distilled water for 50% of the day (or even a day) (which I do from time to time) I would later drink some mineral water to compensate.

Holmz

Major Contributor
if i wanted sweet water destiller , i'll add some sugar , like men in black . sugar water . no thanks . i know this makes water companies angry . i may think of harvesting the water , i mean where else has it been coming from for free for billions of years .

Whatever… I am not a chemist, but lower pH things are generally sour.

Have you actually tasted the water?
Is it not sweater?

Or are you trying to argue for the sport of it?

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Distilled water is not what humans (or felines) drank during zillions of years of evolution. It has no minerals in it. It is low in concentration of electrolytes.
You need the minerals that you get from water expecially calcium and magnesium. There is no medically recognized good reason to drink distilled water. It IS good for rinsing vinyl LPs you just washed.
if you think i'm going to destiller tap-water for 4hrs to clean my lp's you're crazy . lol actually i use tap-water to clean uhd 4k discs oh and laserdiscs as well .
i don't like the water companies taste of that what ever they are putting in it . tastes . my Dad's cat would often drink rain water , after all that is what it is for billions of years , not zillions yet . lol but elsewhere maybe in the universe zillions , yes agree .

there ain't anyone here works for water companies ? lol

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
then again destiller water is like uhd 4k discs with near field and compression used , filtered down frequency response reduced dynamic range . maybe i stick the uhd discs inside the destiller and see how warped the disc is after 4hrs ? lol

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Distilled water can take minerals out of your body, so: if I were drinking some distilled water for 50% of the day (or even a day) (which I do from time to time) I would later drink some mineral water to compensate.
but do you have TDS to test the water you buy in plastic bottles . to see what the TDS numbers show .

i know headless panther test for the water ? :D

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
used the crystals to cleanse the water destiller of the scales . wow it takes few minutes to clean .

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be aware that simple distillation cannot remove volatile contaminants, e.g. low boiling temperature organics.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Water is often treated with alum little of which gets to you. Then lime is added for ph control. If you let the ph get too low you dissolve lead from piping and get Flint, Michigan. The objectionable smells and tastes are often chlorine compounds. Put some in an open pitcher in the fridge and within a half hour little chlorine will be left. You'll have cool clean tasting water without distilling it. If that isn't good enough you can get filters which usually taste fine too and aren't inconvenient like distilling.

Last edited:
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Rainwater is "distilled" to start with but by the time it reaches the ground is has minerals in it from impinging on dust particles.

I repair and maintain scientific equipment at a large university, including about ten "water polishing stations". By the way TDS is irrelevant regarding DI water of any decent quality. The relevant measurements are conductivity (measured in siemens) and resistivity (megohm -cm)
The highest resistivity you can have is 18.2 megohm-cm.

Most places use chloramine instead of chlorine these days. Not as strong an odor.
you be surprised cats can smell the odor in the water and some won't touch it .
oh and other things in the water once lands on the ground . i use my trusty TDS and destiller like everyone else from now on . i think the TDS tester is spot on . i may test pepsi and coke later in the day ?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is important. At sea ships generate fresh water from sea water using evaporation or reverse osmosis and there are mandatory requirements to ensure the water used for drinking is mineralised for the reason you mention. Drinking a bottle of demineralised water is no big deal, but using it as the main source of drinking water can lead to serious health issues in

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
to think , drinking your own pee and everyone else pee in that water .
i destiller my water from now on and embrace the bodily purities .
oh i heard the water in usa is far more shocking than the cleaner water in the uk ? then again maybe some water companies slagging off the other water companies for competition . water shouldn't be paid for . we have the measurable technology through advanced human developed mind of half million years . water should be paid for . get water free anywhere . even on a hot day .

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, raw TDS numbers are more misleading than judging audio components by one number like SINAD. You might have some good minerals you need like calcium and magnesium in otherwise fine water yet will get a high ppm reading. Removing that via distillation isn't really improving the water for consumption purposes. Like so many things it can give people a warm fuzzy feeling I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom