• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

drinking destiller water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Distilled water has its uses. I prefer to buy it rather than make it myself. Good for topping off coolant in car engines, cleaning LPs, etc. Not for drinking!

And for use in CPAP machines. I drink filtered tap water. Much better for you.

Martin

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
if you think i'm going to destiller tap-water for 4hrs to clean my lp's you're crazy . lol actually i use tap-water to clean uhd 4k discs oh and laserdiscs as well .
i don't like the water companies taste of that what ever they are putting in it . tastes . my Dad's cat would often drink rain water , after all that is what it is for billions of years , not zillions yet . lol but elsewhere maybe in the universe zillions , yes agree .

there ain't anyone here works for water companies ? lol
I Saipan (where we run the AC 24/7/365 I just ran a line from the A/C's condensate to a cistern,(with chees cloth over it to keep flies from laying eggs in the water) through a charcoal filter (on never knows what may come down the line) & a UV irradiation system. Perfect distilled, filtered & UV irradiated for our automotive style batteries, radiators, us it for LP cleaning (or any other cleaning) and washing the baby. Drink it? Not so much.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You guys are funny.

I just ripped out a $1000 water filtration 'reverse osmosis' system on Monday this week from under our kitchen sink. Three giant filter things, a pressure/balance tank, valves, pipes and chit all attached to a tap on the counter/sink. I hated the thing- took up too much space in the cupboard and I never trusted the water out of it. Our tap water is fabulous as it is. I've given the thing away to someone who is obsessed about the 'health benefits' of filtered water.

Replumbed the tap feeds and replaced some sink PVC pipes where the excess filter flow (wasted water) went. Now I've got a 10mm hole in my sink top edge covered in gaffer tape until I drill a bigger hole to put in the undersink liquid soap dispenser I bought to cover the hole! Any tips on drilling a SS kitchen sink? Was going to use a lubricated step drill to enlarge the hole to 23.5mm?

ripvw

Forum Donor
..."O! Water cold we may pour at need
down a thirsty throat and be glad indeed;
but better is Beer if drink we lack,
and Water Hot poured down the back."...

J. R. R. Tolkien from Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
"we struck perrier"

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but do you have TDS to test the water you buy in plastic bottles . to see what the TDS numbers show .

i know headless panther test for the water ? :D
Yes, the bottled water from various sources in Saipan had more particulates per million (hard to beat zero), as well as trace amounts of other stuff and the PH is different. It has been 8 years now, so I don't know the specific numbers. The tap water had salt water coming into the system (worse in some communities than other but all had some). Some bottled water was acceptable. But none reached the level of "pure" that the A?C condensate did. And, again, this was not being used as drinking water.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is important. At sea ships generate fresh water from sea water using evaporation or reverse osmosis and there are mandatory requirements to ensure the water used for drinking is mineralised for the reason you mention. Drinking a bottle of demineralised water is no big deal, but using it as the main source of drinking water can lead to serious health issues in

I was on a ship for years where our fresh water came from an RO and we didn't remineralize, we got the same ultrapure water as the reactor. It tasted great but had a variety of negative health effects. Was also lousy at dissolving soap which made shipboard showering that extra bit unpleasant.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Yes, the bottled water from various sources in Saipan had more particulates per million (hard to beat zero), as well as trace amounts of other stuff and the PH is different. It has been 8 years now, so I don't know the specific numbers. The tap water had salt water coming into the system (worse in some communities than other but all had some). Some bottled water was acceptable. But none reached the level of "pure" that the A?C condensate did. And, again, this was not being used as drinking water.
water , what , salt in the water . if i wanted salt in the water i go down to the beach . yeah okay no big deal we add salt to water when cooking .

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
perri-air canned purified air no added artifacts . i may get a bottle and test the TDS it should be pure and clean ? well shouldn't it be ?

GeorgeWalk

Beware of dihydrogen monoxide!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys are funny.

I just ripped out a $1000 water filtration 'reverse osmosis' system on Monday this week from under our kitchen sink. Three giant filter things, a pressure/balance tank, valves, pipes and chit all attached to a tap on the counter/sink. I hated the thing- took up too much space in the cupboard and I never trusted the water out of it. Our tap water is fabulous as it is. I've given the thing away to someone who is obsessed about the 'health benefits' of filtered water.

Replumbed the tap feeds and replaced some sink PVC pipes where the excess filter flow (wasted water) went. Now I've got a 10mm hole in my sink top edge covered in gaffer tape until I drill a bigger hole to put in the undersink liquid soap dispenser I bought to cover the hole! Any tips on drilling a SS kitchen sink? Was going to use a lubricated step drill to enlarge the hole to 23.5mm?
NO>>> do not use high speed lub'd drill bits.

You want cobalt drill bits. A cobalt drill bit will cut through that sink like nothing but watch the speed and that it doesn't lock and twist your arm off.

Destination: Moon

When I saw the title I went straight to the cold-war comedy Dr. Strangelove that I saw as a kid - and remember some people even walking out because to them it was not funny to joke about.

I even knew older folks that thought flouridation was a conspiracy at the time.

POE!

Destination: Moon

Distilled water isn't on its own bad for you. But it can become HIGHLY toxic. It's very aggressive in that it's one of the most potent polar solvents. If you leave it in contact with stainless steel or boil it in a metal teapot you will leach some very bad metals into your diet. Any metal parts of the distiller will also contribute some toxic metals to your diet.

I don't think the lack of minerals is the problem if your eating a balanced diet. But the aggressive nature of distilled water on its container is definitely something to be concerned about.

This also applies to AC condensate. It's dissolving all the metals that it forms on and is probably highly toxic due to copper, lead, aluminum, possibly cadmium, iron and other contamination.... Besides being microbially contaminated

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
destill water tastes way nicer even thou its tasteless it still beats straight tap water

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
You guys are funny.

Electricians use a hole punch kit with an assortment of punches for different sized holes. One lent me the kit to put an additional hole in a SS sink I had to install, worked well, and a nice round clean cut. I don't know what they cost, but may be possible to rent one?

Holmz

Major Contributor
Purity Of Essence!

...... And under no circumstances, and not without good reason, will a commie drink water....

One of my favorite dark comedies of all time

Right .

The OPE was part of the crypto code that the CRM114 was supposed to use.
The CRM auto destructed en route to La Puta (the whore).

believe what you want, makes you happier

Well it is sweeter because of pH being higher.
You can measure the pH if you have a hard believing it.

It also makes great ice cube which are very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom