• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

drinking destiller water

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Sooty and Magic like licking yogurt

amper42

Major Contributor
Since distilled water doesn’t contain its own minerals, it has a tendency to pull them from whatever it touches to maintain a balance. So when you drink distilled water, it may pull small amounts of minerals from your body, including from your teeth. Not really a great idea.

Rip City Dave

If you place tubs of distilled water around your speakers, the evaporation of that pure water will focus the sound waves and improve soundstage and imaging.

It will be as if a veil was lifted.

Works even better if you soak the carpeting with the distilled water!

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
You shouldn't drink distilled, de-ionised or pure water from reverse osmosis systems. As this water is much purer it leaches nutrients from your body. I worked in the semi-conductor industry for many years and this was made very clear to us. Pure, in this case, does not mean healthy. If you do insist on drinking this water you need to replace the minerals it will leach from your body.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One should take into consideration that not all tap water is of good quality. There can be lead or other contaminations and whatnot.

When you don't trust tap water where you live why not use bottled water for drinking instead ?

One of our (indoor) cats didn't drink enough water. Certainly not when it was standing still for a few hours.
The solution was simple. A cat fountain. Cat 'drinking problem' solved.

kthulhutu

Excuse my ignorance: but is this literally distilling the water via boiling and condensation?
Insane electricity bill aside, this is stripping all of the useful minerals from the water, AND making it taste flat AND potentially leeching small amounts of said minerals from your body when you drink it.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Activated carbon water filtration systems are best in contrast to distillation and reverse osmosis filtration.

JSmith

kschmit2

a rough translation from Spektrum.de:

The chemistry teacher had warned us, "Never drink distilled water!" A miserable death with stomach bleeding and bursting cells would be in store for us if we had the idea of taking a sip from the spray bottle.

Our health-conscious neighbor, on the other hand, must have missed chemistry class. He recently ordered a distiller and now swears by the detoxifying effect of salt-free water. So what then?

It is true that cells can burst through what is known as osmosis, because their cell membranes are semi-permeable. This means that only water molecules can pass through; salts or sugar molecules are too large for passive transport through the membrane pores. Now, however, water flows into the cells in an effort to balance the higher concentration of salts and sugars inside with the concentration outside the cell. If the concentration gradient is large, sometimes so much water accumulates in the cells that the cell boundary eventually gives way: The cell bursts.

Our blood cells would not fare any differently, but we would have to be hooked up to a drip of distilled water.

Drinking it, however, has far fewer consequences. This is because chemically pure water is mixed with minerals again by the stomach acid and the ingested food, so that our cells do not even come into contact with it. Thus, even tea or coffee brewed with distilled water, which some people swear by for its fine aroma, poses no danger.
Some people even see "aqua distillata" as a health supplement, since it contains no harmful substances such as lead, nitrates and pesticides and is said to purify the body. The German Society for Nutrition - and with it most scientists - warn against the exclusive use of distilled water. This is because, particularly in the case of an unbalanced diet, the distillate removes potassium and sodium ions from the cells in the long term, thus upsetting the body's electrolyte balance.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm still trying to rationalize how any sane person could think drinking distilled water is a good idea, then also subjecting their pets to do the same.
So much that could be said after reading the intro post and seeing some of the videos, yet I will leave it on other members to draw their own conclusions.
As to @Andysu, get out more, stop worrying about making youtube videos for folks you'll never see. Get out and make some real human contact, and Stop drink distilled water, that includes your beloved feline friends.

Jimshoe

Sooty and Magic like licking yogurt
They might love it, but it's full of sugar and thus terrible for their teeth. Also, containing milk, it's a source of lactose - not good for cats!

Little bits of chicken are a better treat

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
A B C water testing . still prefer the destiller water . the bottle water , i let the video show the results .

JSmith

Master Contributor
bottle water
EUF52HPUUA4_mqj.jpg

JSmith

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
:facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
Actually distilling water is extremely wasteful / inefficient.
I use reveres Osmosis to get drinking water from the tab.
To me the "cleaner" (low TDS) the water the better the taste. We have technically perfectly fine drinking quality water but i don't like the taste.

Don’ŧ seam to do any harm to me and i drink many liters per day.

If it would be problem i would just take mineral mineral supplement pills. but i don’t want it mixed into my water spoiling the taste

Edit: Tap water is around 230ppm.
Bottled waters i like are between 28 and 50ppm
My reveres osmosis water is around 1-4ppm (depending on pressure and flow rate)

I don’t think ppm is everything when it comes to taste. there are some nice tasting mineral waters with ppm over 100

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
... The objectionable smells and tastes are often chlorine compounds. Put some in an open pitcher in the fridge and within a half hour little chlorine will be left. You'll have cool clean tasting water without distilling it. If that isn't good enough you can get filters which usually taste fine too and aren't inconvenient like distilling.
Best water we ever had was when we lived on a remote island with a well. Testing showed the water was clean enough to drink straight from the well - no coliforms or other bad stuff. It was "hard" with high levels of calcium, sodium and other minerals, at levels that are beneficial not harmful to health. Though that hard water is not so beneficial to pipes and appliances.

Now that we live in the city, we find the tap water is just fine after pouring into a Brita water pitcher that has a filter and letting it sit overnight. This improves the taste and reduces the chlorine level.

threni

Major Contributor
Does 'destiller' mean 'distilled'?

What is this craziness?
That's what I was thinking! Maybe it's tap water that's been stolen from someone who distills water though.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Distilled water has its uses. I prefer to buy it rather than make it myself. Good for topping off coolant in car engines, cleaning LPs, etc. Not for drinking!

mansr

Major Contributor
Now that we live in the city, we find the tap water is just fine after pouring into a Brita water pitcher that has a filter and letting it sit overnight. This improves the taste and reduces the chlorine level.
Same here. The local tap water is extremely hard and has a funny taste. The Brita filter does wonders to it.

If tap water doesn't taste right (but is otherwise safe to drink), get a Brita filter. It's what they're made for, and they work. Routinely drinking distilled water is harmful for reasons already mentioned by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom