• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drawbacks of software and hardware equalization and how to counter them?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In what world is a 1000$ DAC + God knows how much PC is cheaper than an Audio interface with PEQ or any hardware MiniDSP-esque device.

In this one. I'm talking about a dedicated hardware interface without any external things needed. They can be had at various price levels, and definitely above a few 1000 euro.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should just cut the peaks under 200Hz and boost nothing. That's about how GLM works.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Then export the filters as wave files and use convolution software to apply them (even Equalizer APO supports this) so that phase shifts are not an issue.

I don’t really think this is a problem unless you’re doing some really extreme “correction” EQ.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don’t really think this is a problem unless you’re doing some really extreme “correction” EQ.
I am interested in phase shift due to eq, is there any way to know how much phase shift from what eq? Do you have some things about this to read? Thank you.:)

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Personally I prefer to use Psychoacoustic smoothing to ignore the small peaks and dips and focus on the large deviations, and then let the EQ run on top of it. It creates a less aggressive correction.
Then export the filters as wave files and use convolution software to apply them (even Equalizer APO supports this) so that phase shifts are not an issue.

When you have time, could you create a small guide to this starting from the exporting as wav part or send a link?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it's doesn't, It just injects the filters into the OS mixer, and the OS mixer has fixed sample rate.
In this case I would use a high resample rate of say 192 kHz for the OS and all music sampling rates will be resampled to it, and export the corresponding filter wave file in 192 kHz.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case I would use a high resample rate of say 192 kHz for the OS and all music sampling rates will be resampled to it, and export the corresponding filter wave file in 192 kHz.

Windows up-sampling is not particularly nice either. I would just leave it at 44.1 or 48KHz.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Windows up-sampling is not particularly nice either. I would just leave it at 44.1 or 48KHz.
For non critical programs (like watching cat videos on YouTube) the OS upsampler may be enough, but for music listening I would use the player upsampler, usually based on the free SoX library. There is even a free plugin based on it called Resampler-V for foobar2000, although I use JRiver as I wrote earlier.

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
@Matias
Thank you for that suggestion. I just created a few new config files for L and R in APO including the new convolution files made by your guide based on psychoacustic smoothing. First of all, the gain reduction is now only at -2,5db compared to the -9 db I had before so this is already pretty comforting. Over all the first impression is really good. My temendous bass boost at 42hz is handled well now and I sounds nice overall.
Another thing learned today. Thank you :)

Attachments

• roomeqwizard_B9ILzTh7by.png
    roomeqwizard_B9ILzTh7by.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 81
Top Bottom