• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dragonfly (red/black) Vs Meizu/Hidizs Sonata Hd etc

wsdc

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Currently making use of a Hidizs Sonata HD to my Oneplus 6 phone and was contemplating upgrading to a better dac/amp like Dragonfly (red or black) or any others but unsure whether is it a worthy upgrade. Sonata HD is around $30 and Dragonfly red is 10 times the price approx. , will I be getting like day and night difference or is a case of diminishing returns? Thanks in advance.

sam

Go and check reviews on dongles.
Unless you are stranded on an island and there's only Dragonfly in the shelves, I think Dragonfly is the last option you should consider.

Asylum Seeker

Boondoggle is more like it.

lawk

I prefer my Hidizs Sonata HD (the classic one) to the Meizu Pro dongle.

I dont know why the meizu measures better, and also is supposed to have more power. The power is about the same. But the cirrus treble on meizu is blocky and grainy. Hidizs Sonata HD with the realtek I think? Is slightly warmer in tone, but has more treble zing, and not as flat sounding.

I think I will step up my game eventually to something xduoo xd5 plus to get real power.

I dont know about the dragonflys.

But maaaany of these USB-C dongles are really just a variation of any run of the mill 3.5mm your phone should have had anyway (good ol 2015 days :p)

Veri

Master Contributor
I love using the meizu dongle on my work computer. It provides a very clean output, and at a very low price :)

I'm sure the meizu pro, hidisz s8, sonata etc are similar. I wouldn't buy a dragonfly anymore that's for sure, now that these exist.

Top Bottom