• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dr. John passed away Thursday June 5...

ripvw

Forum Donor
Malcolm John Rebennack aka Dr. John died yesterday morning in New Orleans at age 77 per Wikipedia (other sources claim he was 78).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._John

I remember seeing him on a Cat Stevens TV concert in the early 1970's - on his way offstage some guy tried to steal his hat and Dr. John managed to grab it back. His musical style was unique and he made his mark in blues, jazz and rock and roll - all New Orleans style. His one top-ten hit was "Right Place, Wrong Time" from his In The Right Place album released in 1973. I remember it being played to death on most rock stations of the time. Listening to it now on Tidal...

Requiescat in pace

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A great loss to music, sad news indeed. I am a huge fan of New Orleans piano blues and along with Allen Toussaint and Professor Longhair love the music of Dr John.

cjfrbw

I actually thought he was older. Having spent a few years in New Orleans, yeah, Dr. John, rest in peace. He was immersed in the music and culture to the max.

I remember seeing James Booker, too. He would appear drunk, curse out the white people with spleen and rage, and then sit down at the piano and do everything on the piano from perfect Beethoven sonatas to ragtime to jazz and rock. He'd stand up once in a while to Eff You the audience and white people some more. From Dr. John: "the best black, gay, one-eyed junkie piano genius New Orleans has ever produced."

Top Bottom