• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dr John, Gone at 77

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not a single RIP ?? Bump

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I never even heard of Dr. John till 2 days ago but found this is exactly the music I like.
Well recorded too (most albums between 1990 and 2006)

indeed RIP ....

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well recorded too (most albums between 1990 and 2006)
Yes, the 2001 Creole Moon is one of my favorite for SQ, don't get too much better than that from pop studio recordings.
Also reasonable DR for a modern release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Creole Moon / Artist: Dr. John
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Title [codec]
DR11 -0.01 dB -12.60 dB 4:24 01 - You Swore [flac]
DR12 -0.01 dB -13.54 dB 4:51 02 - In The Name Of You [flac]
DR11 -0.01 dB -12.83 dB 4:56 03 - Food For Thot [flac]
DR11 -0.01 dB -12.23 dB 4:44 04 - Holdin' Pattern [flac]
DR11 -0.01 dB -14.22 dB 5:25 05 - Bruha Bembe [flac]
DR11 -0.01 dB -14.20 dB 4:41 06 - Imitation Of Love [flac]
DR11 -0.01 dB -13.80 dB 3:31 07 - Now That You Got Me [flac]
DR10 -0.01 dB -13.47 dB 8:33 08 - Creole Moon [flac]
DR12 -0.01 dB -14.43 dB 3:46 09 - Georgianna [flac]
DR10 -0.01 dB -12.05 dB 7:46 10 - Monkey & Baboon [flac]
DR11 -0.01 dB -13.34 dB 3:49 11 - Take What I Can Get [flac]
DR11 -0.01 dB -12.06 dB 3:43 12 - Queen Of Cold [flac]
DR10 -0.01 dB -11.72 dB 3:28 13 - Litenin' [flac]
DR11 -0.01 dB -12.95 dB 4:24 14 - One 2 A.M. Too Many [flac]
Number of files: 14
Official DR value: DR11

Sampling rate: 44100 Hz
Average bitrate: 882kbs
Bits per sample: 16 bit

Dr14 T.meter 1.0.16
==============================================================================================

Last edited:

D700

I remember seeing The Last Waltz years ago and knowing who Dr John was, loving that song. All that rock royalty performing for each other...and Dr John walks off like he’s taking all their girlfriends with him when he leaves.

orangejello

I posted this on the nc500 thread. Dr John was a perennial at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival...

“Nice. I have been to the fest a few times. It is the most joyful musical festival in the world, no doubt. And the caliber of musicians is unparalleled. For music lovers (and people lovers, and food lovers), it is the "holy fest". (Feel sorry for those who only like classical music, or straight ahead jazz:( Was there for the 50th anniversary in May. New Orleans is the womb. People thought Dr. John was coming out of left field when he emerged in the 60's. No, he was just emerging from the womb.”

If you want to pay tribute, stream WWOZ, the greatest radio station in this culture-forsaken country. They have been doing nonstop Dr John since he passed on Thursday morning. I am sitting in the back yard with the radio going, drinking coffee, watching my girlfriend dance to the voodoo gris-Gris man. They had a huge second-line yesterday spontaneously organized by the New Orlean musician community. Thousands turned out. There is going to be another today. And once he is in the ground, they will have the biggest second line ever.

WWOZ is playing interviews. Many of the DJs knew Dr John personally. Nice to here them reminisce. For those of you that can’t relate to his bullfrog voodoo, New Orleans street music, and Mardi Gras Indians influence, check out “Bluesianna Triangle”, an album that he did six months before Art Blakey passed. It also has David Fathead Newman on sax and a host of other luminaries. Blakey’s accompaniment is just wonderful to hear, and you will enjoy the various sounds and timbres that he produces on your hi-res gear.

There is also a great article in The Guardian. I didn’t know that he had his pinky finger partially shot off during some “gun play” trying to protect a younger musician. As one person commented, “He played more piano with 9 fingers than most people could play with 12.”

They are playing “Sweet Home New Orleans” just now. Lots of post-Katrina stuff too.

RIP

Wombat

Master Contributor
A musician's musician.

orangejello

Heads up. Stream WWOZ. The DJ is killing it. Dr Johns take one a song after playing someone else version. Just heard Doc Watson and Sam Bush doing “Take me out to the ballgame”. Then Dr John’s take. “Millenberg Joy” with Bill Monroe followed by Dr John’s dirty version. What traditional song did he not sing? This is fun. Upcoming Dr John and Willie Nelson together.

orangejello

“Black Night is Fallin’”. Lots of old vinyl being played. Snooze you lose.

orangejello

Lots of nice articles. Here is one from Slate: The late pianist was an inspiration to New Orleans, The Muppets, and me

An excerpt:

"In moments like these, it’s always worth taking a minute or two to appreciate the true craft behind the artist, and in Dr. John’s case, there’s an unusually direct opportunity to do so. A number of years back, Dr. John recorded a series of instructional videos called Dr. John Teaches New Orleans Piano that are both unintentionally hilarious and totally breathtaking. Dr. John begins each segment by amiably pontificating on some aspect of the New Orleans piano tradition before launching into utterly spectacular renditions of standards like “St. James Infirmary,” “Goodnight Irene,” and “Key to the Highway.” All the while there is a camera helpfully positioned directly above the keyboard so that you can, you know, follow along at home.

I can’t think of a more effective way of convincing a budding pianist to quit the instrument than showing her these videos. I’ve been playing piano for more than 30 years, and these videos make me want to quit. But I also can’t think of a better way to send off Mac Rebennack than this video of him performing “When the Saints Go Marching In” from said video series. In classic New Orleans funeral fashion, he begins the song in a minor key, somberly drawing out the words and melody, his fingers splaying to impossible dimensions to reach chunking chords filled with lachrymose Sturm und Drang. Then, after finally returning to the top of the form, the Doctor abruptly pivots into the song’s more customary, upbeat, major-key rendition, and we’re treated to a little over two minutes of some of the most virtuosic piano playing you will ever witness with this degree of intimacy. His right hand is a dazzling showcase of trills, rolls, and runs, but as with any great sleight-of-hand artist, if you pay too much attention to it, then you’ll miss the real magic: his left hand, the true hallmark of any great New Orleans pianist. That left hand is all over the place, dancing across the entire lower registry of the instrument, perfectly in time and never making a false step. Watching those hands, startlingly up close and personal, is like witnessing a miracle. Mac Rebennack never claimed to be a saint in life, but today he’s in that number. "

Here is a link to that video:

And not to be missed from that same series: "The Mess Around"

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I saw Dr. John in concert about 35 years ago in a small club in San Francisco. No seats; standing only floor. Maybe 750 people. He killed it. One of my favorites. Cajun at its best.

Top Bottom