• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DPreview to be shuttered. [ not anymore]

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There'll really be no excuse if they pull all that content down. At least sell it to someone or offer access on a rental/login basis. So far no word that I've seen that they aren't outright pulling it all down, which would be a d*** move.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Amazon only cares about money. Avoid this terrible company.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There'll really be no excuse if they pull all that content down. At least sell it to someone or offer access on a rental/login basis. So far no word that I've seen that they aren't outright pulling it all down, which would be a d*** move.
What is your opinion of how much this bothers Jeff Bezos? I'd venture somewhere between not at all and too far off the radar to register. The site's revenue has fallen to less than $2 million a year. That isn't all profit. Not enough to care for his new yacht for a year.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What a shame. I thought they were by far the largest site for camera reviews/discussions. I suspect this has a lot to do with Amazon than camera business. While at Microsoft, I was running a small team that was bringing in $20M in revenue. One day the CFO for the division wrote an email saying basically, "that is all? why don't we put them on Windows where we make a lot more money." That was the end of that effort. I call it the "round off error." When the larger business is worth billions, even successful efforts are dismissed as not mattering (to stock price).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah, and it looks like they will be pulling back the content:
"What’s the timescale?

The site will be locked, with no further updates made after April 10th 2023. The site will be available in read-only mode for a limited period afterwards."

Another big company problem. No one wants to hang around or fund a shattered business.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure I am not the only one with other sites for camera info. The one I use most after DPreview is this one. Which is still going.

Others seem to favor video reviews which I don't much care for unless they are showing the camera for vlogging or other video uses. They also heavily push their advertisers so much it is annoying to try and read the review. Some youtube reviewers do a pretty good job, but lots more trouble to dig those up verses having a whole series of detailed reviews in one location.

cavedriver

What is your opinion of how much this bothers Jeff Bezos? I'd venture somewhere between not at all and too far off the radar to register. The site's revenue has fallen to less than $2 million a year. That isn't all profit. Not enough to care for his new yacht for a year.
of course I'm not saying Amazon should keep the site open. I'm just saying they shouldn't take it down and it looks right now like they will. Someone with lower margins could still operate it at a profit, or at least a funding solution could be found to keep the content hosted.
Others seem to favor video reviews which I don't much care for unless they are showing the camera for vlogging or other video uses. They also heavily push their advertisers so much it is annoying to try and read the review. Some youtube reviewers do a pretty good job, but lots more trouble to dig those up verses having a whole series of detailed reviews in one location.
I hate video. Why go back to cassettes? In other words, why go back to a linear format when we're in the digital age? I know you can skip but I can scan text a whole lot faster than video. I understand many people like video, and youtube and other formats generate revenue for creators so it makes sense, but I still hate it. Just my 2c...

Last edited:

dwkdnvr

I have tried to resist the youtube influence, but it's becoming impossible. So much content only lives there now. And, a large part of what brought me back to more serious engagement with photography is getting started in birds (and other wildlife I suppose), and it seems that youtube is the only place to really get a handle on it - but there are some very good/helpful bird photo channels. Largely the same thing for macro - there are really some very good youtube channels for macro.

But yes - for more straighforward reference or purely technical information youtube is in many ways inferior to well presented documentation and conventional reviews.

Liya

Could the same happen with Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer and others? So the bosses say - let's just close music branch. It's peanuts. Not enough profits.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s unfortunate, but I felt like they’ve been treading water for some time, partly due to a pandemic-era dearth of new products to cover.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How sad! They have been around since the early days. I still remember the buzz when digital cameras first came out. I really wanted a Nikon Coolpix 950, but I had no money at the time. So I bought a Canon Digital Ixus instead. I read dpreview voraciously, getting excited with all the new cameras that were coming out. For me it was a huge revolution from film photography. I could take as many photos as I liked! No need to change film canisters every 36 shots! And ... although film aficionados thought otherwise, I thought that even lowly 2 megapixel images looked cleaner than film.

gordon-laing-cameralabs-retro-review-coolpix-950-pshot-2.jpeg
I had a similar journey, also lusting for the Nikon 950

But I got an olympus C2000z instead. I joined the forums at DPreview in October 99 - 23+ years ago.

Offler

Just heard that their team is moving to Petapixel, but i really would like to see their database to remain available...

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How sad! They have been around since the early days. I still remember the buzz when digital cameras first came out. I really wanted a Nikon Coolpix 950, but I had no money at the time. So I bought a Canon Digital Ixus instead. I read dpreview voraciously, getting excited with all the new cameras that were coming out. For me it was a huge revolution from film photography. I could take as many photos as I liked! No need to change film canisters every 36 shots! And ... although film aficionados thought otherwise, I thought that even lowly 2 megapixel images looked cleaner than film.

gordon-laing-cameralabs-retro-review-coolpix-950-pshot-2.jpeg
I had an early HP 3 mp camera just to see if I like digital. I had it the 2nd day at my grandmother's birthday party and took tons of pictures I wouldn't have otherwise. She took ill and was only with us another 2 weeks. I lusted after a really good digicam in the 950 you picture and finally purchased one 2nd hand. I used it and used it to death. My poor old Canon film SLR went unloved. I even had some of the screw on lenses for telephoto, and one that let you take snapshots of negatives.

Last edited:

Yuhasz01

Amazon only cares about money. Avoid this terrible company.
If they completely close it, a better business unit tax loss deduction. Sale would get in the way of Jeff Bozo’s plans,ie, more trips to space and more houses.

julian_hughes

It's a real shame. DPReview's review archive is a great resource. I was dipping into it several times in the last few weeks. A family member is about to start taking a photography course at school and asked me for advice on a suitable camera (I worked in a darkroom in the pre digital era). I had an old digital camera I no longer use but wasn't sure it would be better than her iPhone camera. It was really instructive to be able to view side by side comparisons of real shots of the same subjects and helped me understand that, despite the hype, most phone cameras are still inferior to older mid range compact cameras which had much larger sensors. Sometimes you need to see the results for yourself because the hype obliterates objectivity. It was also interesting to find that my current compact camera, Sony RX100 III, makes all phone cameras look second best. I had really thought that maybe the latest iPhone or Galaxy S## would be substantially better, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It is a real shame that Amazon are going to consign this to the bin. Before innerfidelity got nuked I downloaded the entire archive of test results, but doing the same for a photography review site with a truly *huge* archive of very large image files isn't practical for a regular home user to do. I hope Jeff Bezos' yacht sinks.

Prana Ferox

It's a real disappointment. I go to DPReview more than I go here, or did. The older reviews really come in handy when shopping for used stuff. The forums being largely brand-oriented made for a lot of brand-fanboying, but there was certainly plenty of good content to be found. I never watched the videos.

I'm a little amazed the site doesn't at least have the traffic to sustain a forums-only version. It might be unmanageable 20-year old spaghetti code behind the scenes, though. They've been trying to hire people (including the tech support backend) for years but, as is common, they've insisted new hires move to Seattle, and if you're not already on the US West Coast it's very hard to pay people to go.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good riddance. They banned me years ago for very little reason.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like their reviews. Admittedly digital camera technology innovation has slowed down a lot, but no more than audio certainly. :)

They should have established a voluntary sponsorship model, just like this site. It makes no sense to me they never tried. The discussion forums were very active, albeit with the usual amount of diatribes etc.

I had been a member since times immemorial (same user id as here) and shall miss their insights - both from reviewers and knowledgeable photography enthusiasts.

PS: Anyone that thinks this is related to smartphone taking over from larger sensor cameras with good lenses has no educated opinions on real photography.

Chazz6

If you had a reasonably specific problem with your camera, lens, printer, or specific shooting situation, you would soon get an answer from someone who had solved the same problem. In turn, you browsed two or three of the forums and answered questions from others.

I supposed if we gave Amazon a dime every time we posted, the corporation might have kept things going.

Top Bottom