• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Downsizing, so integrating HT and 2 channel systems

klettermann

I've now got separate HT/AV and 2-channel systems located back-to-back in a large-ish room (ca. 12 x 32 ft). I'll soon be moving to a substantially smaller space and the "media room" will shrink to 12 x 17 ft, basically what I have cut in half. Something has to give and I'm struggling with how to put it all together. Here's what I've got to work with:

1. HT/AV 5.1 system: 80" TV, Denon AVR-x3600 HT amp, Maggie MMG's*, Maggie MMG C center spkr, Velodyne ULD-12 subwoofer*, Boston acoustics rear spkrs
2. 2-Channel system: Shiit Frey S preamp, DAC and other line level stuff, ML No. 332 amp*. For speakers I've got Maggies IIIa's* and KEF LS-50's to play with in addition to the above.
* FWIW, the old stuff is working perfectly - recapped, factory refurbished, rebuilt etc. I'm not keen on getting new stuff, want to use what I got if at all possible.

As it is, I'm quite happy with both systems. The MG IIIA + ML 332 is quite magical and I don't want to lose that. The AV system is also all really need. But I really don't see the best way to make one system out of 2. My thinking is:
  1. For AV: MGIIIa's + ML 332 + Schiit as front speakers fed by AVR-x3600 front pre-out. Other surround speakers directly powered by AVR-x3600. Maybe go 7.1 with Boston Acoustics for side channels
    For 2-chan: As above but obviously no AVR-x3600 or rear channels.
This is fine for 2-channels I guess, but for AV it gets complicated. I don't think that the preamp has a pass-through mode so it seems like Id' be using 2 volume controls, Shiit for front and AVR-x3600 for all the rest. Quite troublesome for me and ridiculous for my wife. There must be a better way. Anybody got suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
OP
K

klettermann

Ticket closed!! Since posting I realized that I already had a simple solution staring me in the face! I recently got the Schiit Loki Max equalizer. Turns out that it has RCA and balanced input switching. I paid no attention to that when I got it, but now it turns out to be a great thing. It also has 3 equalization profiles presets so I can optimize for the respective inputs if need be. And a remote that controls it all. Problem solved. Cheers,

Top Bottom