• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Douk VU3 Review (VU Meters)

KEFCarver

For what it is worth, I use one this" VU meter" , but as a power meter. It is hooked up to the pre-out of my integrated amp, and calibrated so that 0dB is max power out of the amp. I am not sure if it causes any distortion when hooked up- will need to measure that one day. I think they have a newer version on Amazon. I have two other LED power meters I built using LEDs (I have this thing for LED power meters) that measure directly at the speakers.
IMG_1432.jpg

pseudoid

Forum Donor
That hardware on the left of your photo: Iz dat a Carver?

pseudoid

Forum Donor
You mean you want to actually read the meter?
"Sounds" like the HocusPocus or the FengShui effect I used to think I got from the glow of my MC275' tubes, when the lights were turned off.

KEFCarver

That hardware on the left of your photo: Iz dat a Carver?
You have a great eye. It is my C1 which I just recapped per the "Bill D Mod", except for the phono loading caps. To be honest, it was pretty much a waste of time as the old caps were fine best I could tell.

Spartoz

Hi guys,
Thanks for the review.
So now I'm wondering, is this thing crap or not? I don't have a really hifi setup, is this vu meter really gonna mess with my sound, like in real life, could you really tell? I'm really tempted by the design and the amp with vu meters that I'm currently using is dying and I'm gonna replace it with some class D amp.
Thanks!

pseudoid

Forum Donor
... is this thing crap or not? I don't have a really hifi setup,...could you really tell? I'm really tempted ...
The best answer is 'it depends'.
Say, you really wanted to view VUs but for how long?
Properly designed/integrated power-amp w/2 VU meters may cost you an extra $45[?] at best.
Train your ears to hear the peaks (distortion) and that way you can spend the cost on a better power-amp; sans VU.
All those ASR peeps, getting nostalgic and/or romantic about VU meters (self included), have more than enough audio toys to get lavish with such add-ons.
They probably disable the VU meters, after a while...:D

Top Bottom