• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Douk VU3 Review (VU Meters)

NoxMorbis

Hello friends,

Just for your reference,,,

- Dancing video of my IEC 60268-17 compatible large glass-face DIY 12-VU-Meter Array
_____Part-1:
with "High Frequency Linearity Check Track" of Sony Super Audio Check CD: #750
_____Part-2: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-1: #751
_____Part-3: with typical "Full Orchestra Music"-2: #752
_____Part-4: with typical "Jazz Piano Trio Music": #753
Super cool. Thanks for posting.

Johnplayerson

Logitek
Ward Beck
Dorrough
Coleman audio.

along with a quite a few others make VU meters in both the standard VU style as well as digital bar graph. One person sells a rack vu on ebay that is made with RDL stick ons for input / output. As the stickons sell fairly cheap used, One can make themselves a vu meter set.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I repeatedly chimed, we should not mix-up quasi-VU meters/pseudo-VU meters/sham-VU meters with genuine true VU meters fully compatible with IEC 60268-17 VU meter specification/standard, especially transient ballistic behaviors of rise time, overshoot and fall time;
IEC 60268-17
The rise time, defined as the time it takes for the needle to reach 99% of the distance to 0 VU when the VU-meter is submitted to a signal that steps from 0 to a level that reads 0 VU, is 300 ms. The overshoot must be within 1 to 1.5%. The fall time is the same as the rise time, 300 ms.

artkos

Hi, anyone can help? My VU3 shows big difrent between left and right VU meter. Pictures shows how it looks without analog audio signal. I tested two douk VU3, both shows the same big difrent. Difrent is the same when there is no signal or during palying music.
20230713_162435.jpg

Last edited:

KEFCarver

Some meters have very small screws in the front than can be gently turned to zero the needle out- you cant tell if these meters have them as they have the front faceplate over where the screws would be. With no power applied to the unit the meters should be at the very Left of the meter scale- if this is the position they in w/o an audio signal applied, then your One Little bear is defective.

artkos

Some meters have very small screws in the front than can be gently turned to zero the needle out- you cant tell if these meters have them as they have the front faceplate over where the screws would be. With no power applied to the unit the meters should be at the very Left of the meter scale- if this is the position they in w/o an audio signal applied, then your One Little bear is defective.
Peoblem dissapear when i plug my denon PMA. Difrent indicate when i pluge sabaj a20a, I have two a20a and both shows similar difrents in vu meter. Is that mean a20a are fail? it rather did not get broken becosuse both a20a shows wird similar difrent in vu meter.

artkos

Hi, anyone can help? My VU3 shows big difrent between left and right VU meter. Pictures shows how it looks without analog audio signal. I tested two douk VU3, both shows the same big difrent. Difrent is the same when there is no signal or during palying music.View attachment 298764
Done some test. When I plug Denon PMA vu3 work perfectyl, when nothing is palying and I swing range knob vu does not even move.
Problem is with sabaj a20a, picture below.

Attachments

• 20230713_174702.jpg
    20230713_174702.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230713_174651.jpg
    20230713_174651.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230713_174643.jpg
    20230713_174643.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 50

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just assume that something goes wrong in your Sabaj A20A, such as inaudible odd and high-amount of UHF (ultra high-Fq over 22 kHz) noises would be given...:confused:

I recommend/suggest you to record the analog-out of Sabaj A20A using an audio interface (or loop back into your PC's line-input) in 192 kHz 24 bit stereo mode, and analyze the recorded sound (analog out signals) using Adobe Audition or AudaCity to see the Fq distribution up to the upper limit of 96 kHz in L & R channels.

Please note the above would be just one possibility/speculation...

I never see such odd behavior of VU meters depending on amplifier(s) monitored by my IEC 60268-17 compatible 12-VU-Meter Array.

Last edited:

NoxMorbis

Done some test. When I plug Denon PMA vu3 work perfectyl, when nothing is palying and I swing range knob vu does not even move.
Problem is with sabaj a20a, picture below.
Write Douk about it. They're pretty good about explaining stuff like this.

lemongrass

I don't need the switching function, so I'm looking at this one from Nobsound: https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005568550057.html
which uses RCA jack (pre-amp / line-level) inputs. It can be used as a passthrough, even with the power off, so seems like it may not
add any distortion... (or just use an RCA splitter to use it as an end device and not passthrough?)
Any thoughts on this one?
Thanks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Peoblem dissapear when i plug my denon PMA. Difrent indicate when i pluge sabaj a20a, I have two a20a and both shows similar difrents in vu meter. Is that mean a20a are fail? it rather did not get broken becosuse both a20a shows wird similar difrent in vu meter.
The meter reacts to the HF switching noise that is present on the output of most switching amplifiers.
It is far above the audible range but the meter will register it.
So... not usable with A20 and probably also not with other switching amplifiers.

If you want 'swinging needles' you could buy a meter that is connected to the input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom