• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Doubts

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite this guys experience, Elac, then Kef.

@Front Row
Sorry man, i think they are right to be concerned and try to avoid shipping. Hope they can solve your troubles.

If not, let me know, i can egg their HQ for you.:D

YSC

Major Contributor
Here is a portion of the first email I was sent by Elac:

Usually we would recommend having your unit sent to our service center to have them inspect and fix the problem, however with the Adante Floorstanders they are usually epensive and have complications with shipping due to the weight and size.

As for the sealing issue, we have had people resolve the issue by taking out the drivers from their cabinet and using wood glue on all the internal edges to cover up any leaks; alternatively you could also use caulking cord to cover up the leaks as well.

Even by sealing the edges, some like to plug one of the internal port tubes as well.

An update came a few days later after I charged them with "breach of contract" because the speaker was still under warranty. An Elac representative did reach out to me and is working on a solution. I have no efficient skills at caulking or electrical work and I am not sure my efforts would remedy the problem. The speakers bass has failed and the cause might be a sealed chamber that is now leaking. When I press the top passive diaphragm, air comes out the tweeter. The other Elac speaker that works well does not have this issue.
This is bad… for something this expensive I’d expect they should ask you send back, or they send a technician to do it

Front Row

This is bad… for something this expensive I’d expect they should ask you send back, or they send a technician to do it
An Elac representative has reached out to me and is trying to arrange for someone to remedy the problem. I will post any updates.

Reactions: YSC

YSC

Major Contributor
An Elac representative has reached out to me and is trying to arrange for someone to remedy the problem. I will post any updates.
That’s nice to hear! I do think if they offer such service at first will be much better. Premium products need that extra care so one gets comfortable when buying new

Front Row

I agree wholeheartedly. It seems there was no plan by Elac if one of their heavy and expensive speakers went awry.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sounds like ELAC was trying to help a customer save money (and risk) -- and is working with the customer in an "above and beyond" manner.
I.e., sounds like outstanding customer service to me (FWIW).

I am also going to take this opportunity to mention that the issue of cabinet seal on these ELACs (at least one of the Adante models) is, apparently, a thing.

Front Row

I saw that thread when Elac first suggested I fix the problem. I really don't have the tools or experience to do all that is required. If the speakers were 2K dollars cheaper I might have given it the "old college try." But it was bit too pricey to experiment. I have learned that it is better to hire professionals for some jobs.

YSC

Major Contributor
Sounds like ELAC was trying to help a customer save money (and risk) -- and is working with the customer in an "above and beyond" manner.
I.e., sounds like outstanding customer service to me (FWIW).

I am also going to take this opportunity to mention that the issue of cabinet seal on these ELACs (at least one of the Adante models) is, apparently, a thing.
I think sending some local repair technician is a better way to do, with some layman workmanship, there is a pretty high chance of messing up something like the finish, a premium product IMO should have that factored in the cost, while after warranty the same service can cost an arm and a leg with no problem

svenz

Making the same decision at the moment for my home theatre! I think Kef Q350 is the winner for me, simply because they are so much cheaper in Europe. Right now they are going for 380/pair, vs 500/pair for DBR62s. Preference score is almost identical. I imagine with EQ most of the issues on the q350 will be solved. Another thing is the matching center Q650c is pretty good too (although has some FR issues that can be fixed with eq), whereas the DCR52 is objectively bad.

Front Row

To update the Elac Speaker issue: Either Elac was going to send a repair person to fix the speaker or send a new speaker that was "tested" to make sure it works. After waiting about two months, an Elac representative said a new speaker would be sent soon.

Top Bottom