• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Doubts

Boremc

Hello and greetings from Spain!

After much reading on forums, I purchased the monoprice 365c center speaker for my new system.

Now I'm going for the fronts. I have an open room of about 35 square meters, although the listening point is going to be 2.5 meters away.

I don't like monoprice monitors, so I want to go to other brands.

These are my candidates.

dali opticon 2
elac dbr 62
kef q350
Polk audio LSim 703
Klipsch rp 600M

Who would be your perfect candidate as a front in cinema?

And if it wasn't any of those, which one would it be?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Sorry a mistake... Monitors bot headlamps
Yikes. Monitors bot headlamps? How are you posting, with some sort of voice recognition software? What don't you like about the Monoprice monitors? I think they are an unbelievable value (THX Ultra certified).

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Boremc

Yikes. Monitors bot headlamps? How are you posting, with some sort of voice recognition software? What don't you like about the Monoprice monitors? I think they are an unbelievable value (THX Ultra certified).
The spanish keyboard... Sorry! Monitors not headlamps!

dfuller

Major Contributor
I guess I'd be inclined towards the Elacs. They're not perfect, but they're okay.

Front Row

I guess I'd be inclined towards the Elacs. They're not perfect, but they're okay.
Stay away from Elac. I am dealing with a defective speaker under warranty and Elac's customer service just sent an email suggesting I repair it.

RMW_NJ

Stay away from Elac. I am dealing with a defective speaker under warranty and Elac's customer service just sent an email suggesting I repair it.

Not to go off topic, but what’s wrong with your speaker? I assume they’ll send you the parts? Perhaps they think this will be the quickest/best solution for you?

luft262

Of those options I like the ELAC or KEF best! So they get my vote.

Front Row

Not to go off topic, but what’s wrong with your speaker? I assume they’ll send you the parts? Perhaps they think this will be the quickest/best solution for you?
The bass is minimal on the defective AF 61. It appears the seal on the sound chamber is compromised. The other speaker is fine and resonates bass nicely. When I press the diaphram on the defective speaker, air blows through the tweeter while the other does not have this issue.

Urvile

Vacceo

Major Contributor
As a fellow Spaniard and KEF long-time user, my vote goes to the Q350. KEF makes very predictable speakers, and that is fantastic for calibration, positioning and expectations of performance.

The only potential downside of KEF is the SPL you can get, but at 2,5 meters, that should not be an issue unless you want your neightbours to organize a mob.

YSC

Major Contributor
Sorry to go off topic, but I don’t get what’s meant by suggesting repairing it.

amper42

Major Contributor
Hello and greetings from Spain!

After much reading on forums, I purchased the monoprice 365c center speaker for my new system.

Now I'm going for the fronts. I have an open room of about 35 square meters, although the listening point is going to be 2.5 meters away.

I don't like monoprice monitors, so I want to go to other brands.

These are my candidates.

dali opticon 2
elac dbr 62
kef q350
Polk audio LSim 703
Klipsch rp 600M

Who would be your perfect candidate as a front in cinema?

And if it wasn't any of those, which one would it be?

Thanks a lot!

If you want superb quality at a great price I would recommend the BMR Monitors at $1700 a pair. They sound great with my Monoprice 365C center. https://www.philharmonicaudio.com

The next available shipment of BMR's will arrive in April. To be placed on the wait list for the BMR monitor email Dennis Murphy [email protected]. No deposit is required to order.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If you want superb quality at a great price I would recommend the BMR Monitors at $1700 a pair. They sound great with my Monoprice 365C center. https://www.philharmonicaudio.com

The next available shipment of BMR's will arrive in April. To be placed on the wait list for the BMR monitor email Dennis Murphy [email protected]. No deposit is required to order.
Add customs and shipping. Iberia is far from the US.

Salk is a fantastic manufacturer, but it is an ocean away.

jae

Major Contributor
Of the options you mentioned, only elac dbr 62 or kef q350. Elac is cheaper and has better performance. Klipsch one is bad. Didn't find the Polk ones in the list or might have missed them, but most of their speakers with few exceptions don't measure good so I would not go with those. No measurements = no buy.

Front Row

Sorry to go off topic, but I don’t get what’s meant by suggesting repairing it.
Here is a portion of the first email I was sent by Elac:

Usually we would recommend having your unit sent to our service center to have them inspect and fix the problem, however with the Adante Floorstanders they are usually epensive and have complications with shipping due to the weight and size.

As for the sealing issue, we have had people resolve the issue by taking out the drivers from their cabinet and using wood glue on all the internal edges to cover up any leaks; alternatively you could also use caulking cord to cover up the leaks as well.

Even by sealing the edges, some like to plug one of the internal port tubes as well.

An update came a few days later after I charged them with "breach of contract" because the speaker was still under warranty. An Elac representative did reach out to me and is working on a solution. I have no efficient skills at caulking or electrical work and I am not sure my efforts would remedy the problem. The speakers bass has failed and the cause might be a sealed chamber that is now leaking. When I press the top passive diaphragm, air comes out the tweeter. The other Elac speaker that works well does not have this issue.

Top Bottom