• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Doubt regarding 4.4 to 3.5mm adapter

Leiker535

Hello all, I've a quick question regarding an adapter.

I have a ifi Zen Can 6XX edition and a topping L30 amp, I'd like to feed the L30 from the balanced 4.4 out of the Zen Can, so I can benefit from its inbuilt EQ functions on the Topping for IEMs (the Can is too loud when fed balanced). For this, I studied getting an adapter such as this:

1664237398311.png

It's a Pentacon 4.4 to 3.5mm connector. I'd then use a 3.5mm to RCA and connect it to the Topping. My main concern (and fear) is the necessary shorting that will occur when I do this, as the Topping does not have independent RCA grounds. Would it damage the amps? Sorry if this has already been asked. If it is so, I'll delete the post.

OP
Leiker535

Leiker535

So, I follow up to this to those of you that may have found this thread and are with a similar problem (I apologisefor ressurecting the thread nonetheless).

Long story short, no you can't use an adaptor like this without shorting the internal circuit, which is a very bad thing to do and may cause damage to the amp, if it is a truly balanced topology like the zen can. I've found the answer in this old thread, as explained by @solderdude :

1665967807924.png

The maker of this particular adapter tried to assure me through Aliexpress chat that it was safe to use it regardless, but couldn't answer my questions on the internal design so I returned it anyway. But there is a solution, and it involves another adapter that actually mimics a SE 3.5 connection, where they just don't connect the extra grounds. The only brand I know that makes them is DD hifi, but there may be others. This flyer explains how it works, anyway:

He9f0e95f3597476ab9f93276f54357f9q.jpg

Top Bottom