• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Double Blind tests *did* show amplifiers to sound different

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
You know, when I originally came to this forum, I was hoping to find a place where there were some real technical discussions happening - discussions about circuit topologies and other interesting things. Unfortunately, it seems to me that the main topic here is pounding a "measurements verses subjective" dogma into the ground ad nauseam as if both don't have a place.

Frankly, who gives a shit how people choose to evaluate components, whether by ear or meter or both. There are much more interesting things to discuss. At least that is my hope. Yeah, yeah, I know this forum is dedicated to objective measurements, and I agree with that wholeheartedly. But I fail to see how it is considered a sin against humanity here for somebody to rely on their ear in addition to their Audio Precision; some things are much more efficiently parsed by those things on the sides of our head, connected to a receptive brain.

Arguing about subjective / objective frankly gets really boring after awhile, and there is a whole universe of technical subjects which would be much more interesting to talk about.

That's my view anyway. */

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You know, when I originally came to this forum, I was hoping to find a place where there were some real technical discussions happening - discussions about circuit topologies and other interesting things. Unfortunately, it seems to me that the main topic here is pounding a "measurements verses subjective" dogma into the ground ad nauseam as if both don't have a place.

Frankly, who gives a shit how people choose to evaluate components, whether by ear or meter or both. There are much more interesting things to discuss. At least that is my hope. Yeah, yeah, I know this forum is dedicated to objective measurements, and I agree with that wholeheartedly. But I fail to see how it is considered a sin against humanity here for somebody to rely on their ear in addition to their Audio Precision; some things are much more efficiently parsed by those things on the sides of our head, connected to a receptive brain.

Arguing about subjective / objective frankly gets really boring after awhile, and there is a whole universe of technical subjects which would be much more interesting to talk about.

There is plenty of technical commentary here, but you are right some keep coming here trying to convince people that measurements tell us nothing and sighted uncontrolled listening does. It is indeed tedious.

Again you are missing the point. If you are under the impression that people here dont listen to equipment you are very, very wrong. Nobody thinks its a sin to look at things subjectively, but you have to do so from a scientific POV.

One of the major topics you will find discussed here is the work of Floyd Toole whose work was to evaluate the correlation between objective measurements and subjective opinions for speakers. The science of psychoacoustics and subjective evaluation is very much discussed and appreciated. However Jon Doe claiming he can hear the difference between mains cables or ethernet switches without a shred of evidence beyond "what he heard" is not.

You might want to take a look at Amirs background which was very much involved with subjective evaluation.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You know, when I originally came to this forum, I was hoping to find a place where there were some real technical discussions happening - discussions about circuit topologies and other interesting things.
Create some new threads and I am sure members will be interested and contribute.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I think a fundamental problem is that people do not trust the designers or engineering; IME/IMO they have been steered and often misled by marketing to believe in things that either don't exist or do not apply.

No doubt such people exist but I do think this is an extreme strawman argument that is often used to discredit anyone who even says anything about hearing. There are people who don't necessarily say you can't measure things that show the difference, or that measurements are useless and yet believe they can hear certain differences. In the extreme everyone one can hear if the amp is bad enough. So that should not be a controversial view to hold by itself.

There are many amps I have heard that I didn't like the sound of. If you are a musician you hear a lot of crappy amps. So there is no doubt that some amps are just bad sounding and their measurements whatever that is will show why. It may be as obvious as a very high level of distortion. This doesn't invalidate that the person didn't hear a bad sound. I find it difficult to take some people seriously when they don't seem to even allow for that fact questioning whether it was figment of some imagination and blindly bringing up DBT. There is no DBT scenario here. If anyone claims, they haven't heard a bad amp, they have not heard enough amps. Measurements and ears are not in contradiction here.

As you go up the chain, then it gets into a lot greyer area. Some people can hear a bad sound, some people cannot. This is differences in human hearing capabilities but also training. Not different from a piano tuner who can hear a piano and say that is out of tune borne out by later measurement. But many people just can't determine that. So, one has to allow for the fact that some people can be affected by some types of characteristics (good or bad) of amps even if others cannot. Again this may not be in contradiction to measurements to necessarily dismiss those kinds of claims. And yet you find that happening dogmatically.

My point is that you could allow for someone to be able to differentiate two amps by hearing (that not all necessarily can do) and most likely it will be explained by a measurement. If it cannot be established as to what in the existing set of measurements would explain that description of what someone hears, then there are some things one can do as a scientific approach. The first, is to validate, the observation and this is where one would set up a DBT to ensure that the person can reliably hear that as different from another amp that they don't hear the same. But it is not a given because some people failed that in some tests somewhere, that any person would fail the same - that is a dogmatic one like a Boglehead might say about index funds vs active funds. If they pass the test, then clearly we have insufficiency of measurements OR, what we assumed as inaudible characteristic is actually not inaudible. Any scientist to be intellectually honest would have to be open to that and that actually allows for more investigation which causes progress.

But what I see happening here is more of a dogmatic piling on (like Bogleheads in their forums) over-generalizing on what can be or cannot be heard.

Note that nowhere above have I made a claim that there is a difference that cannot be measured or that I can or cannot hear any difference. The above are comments on the process whose validity is independent of whether one claims to hear a difference or not. But I am not sure some people necessarily make that distinction.

None of those strawmen measurement-opposed 'philes used above.

My only gripe is inapplicable use of science to justify a dogma (not referring to anyone in particular). Happens in all fields. The dogma, if not explicit, implicitly doubting anyone that talks about hearing something good or bad as mistaken or one of those "golden ear" fools. Yes, the claim is that unless they prove by a DBT yada, yada, we are not going to believe it. But it masks a dogma. If I heard an amp sound bad (or good) what is the DBT procedure? If you really want to arrive at a scientific result, I have posted the details of a rigorous study above (it was partly tongue-in-cheek but a valid setup). I don't think anyone has actually done something as rigorous either.

I don't think the ATI guy here was claiming to be anywhere near that strawmen audiophile but just mentioning judging devices by hearing seems to set off the knee-jerk reactions and I think it is plain wrong and not at all representative of those claiming to have a science-based approach.

Bogleheads have gone through the same process where finally the dogmatic opinions (index - good, active - bad) overgeneralizing available studies was finally replaced by contexts and conditions under which those aren't necessarily true (when active managers show some skills by opportunistically going out of the style box to generate alpha, for example). This doesn't mean active funds are always good, or that there aren't large numbers of hucksters as fund managers or that index funds aren't a good idea (unless everyone gets into index funds in which case there is no price discovery and market movements are solely determined by money flows in and out which is really bad!).

I have not said anything inconsistent with what the measurement objectivists rightfully believe, but the use of those principles to advance a dogmatic and not wholly justified view is as much of a problem for meaningful investigation as the audiophools denouncing measurements and this is what I heard in your earlier post that I highlighted and followed up on. I agree with that. Not sure others necessarily get the import of that statement.

Enuf from me on this.

Feanor

Forum Donor
What makes you draw that conclusion?

Of course objectivists listen, they are just aware of the frailties of sighted and uncontrolled subjective opinions. They are just not driven/influenced by irrelevant biasing factors.
I guess what I see and read here at ASR makes me draw the conclusion, March.

Ironically on other, audiophile sites it's me who is considered the "objectivist". So some audiophiles insist that THD is irrelevant, others insist that feedback is the devil's work, others insist that higher-order HD is the problem to be avoided at all costs.

But then it's me who points out the lots of feedback gets rid of higher-order HD as well and lowering THD. Furthermore it's me who points out them that what so many like is lots of 2nd and/or 3rd order distortion. They accuse me of being deeply misguided ... oh, the irony.

Feanor

Forum Donor
I'm surprised you ask. Amir apparently listens to speakers but not electrical components, and SIY, for example, seems to believe measurements are sufficient.

As an amp maker, do you listen to evaluated your offerings?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

did you start a thread on circuit topologies? I can't find it...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I'm surprised you ask. Amir apparently listens to speakers but not electrical components, and SIY, for example, seems to believe measurements are sufficient.

As an amp maker, do you listen to evaluated your offerings?

Then you have missed the point.

The differences in electronics are often small, often so small that when evaluated under controlled conditions they can't be heard. Amir and SIY know this precisely because they listen to equipment but don't fool themselves with sighted uncontrolled comparisons.

You do realise Amirs background was heavily involved with subjective evaluation and listening don't you?

Yes I do listen to our products.

Last edited:

Feanor

Forum Donor
Then you have missed the point.

The differences in electronics are small, often so small that when evaluated under con trolled conditions they can't be heard. Amir and SIY know this precisely because they listen to kit and don't fool themselves with sighted uncontrolled comparisons.

Yes I do listen to our products.
I'm glad to hear you listen to your products -- which, incidentally, look very attractive.

Speaking of Amir and SIV, I'm not quite sure what you mean by , "they listen to kit". Of course it's true that amps can sound very alike, and I don't pretend that I can always hear differences, (as some people do), even when doing sighted comparisons. ;)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
No doubt such people exist but I do think this is an extreme strawman argument that is often used to discredit anyone who even says anything about hearing.
<elided>

Based upon the adverts in the stereo magazines I've read recently I did not think it "an extreme strawman argument" nor did I say or imply that all listening tests are invalid. At least I did not think so, sorry you took my post that way, and feel that I am only presenting extreme strawman arguments. Clearly my first instinct to not post was the one I should have followed.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Of course it's true that amps can sound very alike, and I don't pretend that I can always hear differences, (as some people do), even when doing sighted comparisons.

Saying you hear differences between amplifiers is not a popular thing to do around here unfortunately. I have many theories why people doggedly stick to those beliefs, but when you have literally hundreds of amplifiers and the ability to be able to instantly switch between at least 6 at a time, accurately level matched on any of 10 pairs of speakers, it's remarkable how easy it is to hear differences- whether one operates the comparator or has someone else do it from another room. Even if I rewire all the amplifiers so the operator has no idea which amplifier he/she is switching and I have no idea which one I am listening to, or even if the click is just an unused button being pressed...

Amplifiers do often sound different to one another, especially their interactions with certain speakers. Amplifiers that are otherwise well designed, great performing and contain no flaws of significance. In short, nothing that should render them grossly different to another similarly specified product.

People with this "all amplifiers sound the same" mindset are often the noisiest when it comes to making demands of 'proof'. They know full well most people don't have the equipment, the ability to compare instantaneously, or the knowledge to do that effectively. And, ironically, neither do they... I satisfied myself decades ago when I was selling gear, when I had younger ears, a shop full of gear to play with all day, every day, and three soundrooms all with comparators. It was easy.

In my experience, it comes down to minor frequency response variations which most people would dismiss as utterly inaudible. Those variations, often 1/2 to 1dB or less are what lend the sometimes stark differences in amplifier perceptions. With most, if not all of the amplifiers tested here on ASR exhibiting non ruler flat repsonses, especially at the frequency extremes and even @March Audio (with his 'mature' ears) telling us he can hear the difference between the rolled-off HF Hypex and the flatter HF response Purifi, there is more to consider, especially load interactions and their correlation to perceived sonic characteristics.

The ruler flat amplifiers I own, can still sound different to one another where their interactions with certain speakers cause audible differences, but those differences are often very subtle.

So, I don't need to justify my position that many amplifiers do sound quite different to one another, because not only have I tested them, attempted to identify flaws or characteristics that would cause what I hear, but I have also compared them, side by side at low/medium/high power levels, within their ratings. Many sound the same, some sound identical and others quite different to one another. The question always becomes however, which ones are the best and which ones are 'right'...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Saying you hear differences between amplifiers is not a popular thing to do around here unfortunately. '...

It's not popular simply for the reason that you know with almost 100% certainty the comparison would have been sighted uncontrolled and therefore faulty.

There are indeed good reasons why amps can sound different, just look at the frequency response of a valve amp with a real reactive speaker load, but I would like to see you accurately and repeatedly identify a bunch of dacs under controlled conditions ;)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's not popular simply for the reason that you know with almost 100% certainty the comparison would have been sighted uncontrolled and therefore faulty.

There are indeed good reasons why amps can sound different, just look at the frequency response of a valve amp with a real reactive speaker load, but I would like to see you accurately and repeatedly identify a bunch of dacs under controlled conditions

We are talking about amplifiers, not DACs in this thread. You know my view on DAC differences- unless they are faulty, they all are pretty much audibly indistinguishable, right from the very first CD players to SOTA DACs today.

It's not popular because people can't do it easily. It's not popular because most people have maybe one or two amplifiers, not a massive collection spanning many decades with which to draw from. I do. It's not popular because even if you do have the gear, the equipment, and the time (and lots of cable) to wire up a large comparator, it's the least wife friendly mess you have ever seen. I can only do it when my partner goes away for a week. It's not popular because only HiFi stores had the units and most have long gone into the hands of collectors or the landfill.

Now we have stupid Linn 1980s style 'one system per room' demos (if you can even find a HiFi store to compare gear) that are a waste of time.

Even my Dad (87) who has four rooms dedicated to HiFi baulked the other day when I asked him if he wanted the comparator taken over to his place and wired up (it would take a weekend of re-arranging and several 100M rolls of speaker cable). Unless you have a skirting aluminium box conduit to run the cables in to the speakers, it looks like a bomb has hit the room.

So, you can hear an audible difference in your amplifiers. No doubt that was a level matched and blind test? Or was the result a fait-acompli?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience, it comes down to minor frequency response variations which most people would dismiss as utterly inaudible. Those variations, often 1/2 to 1dB or less are what lend the sometimes stark differences in amplifier perceptions.

I agree with this. My last amplifier DBTs were a long time ago, late 1970s and early 1980s, when I worked at a production/post-production place that was re-equipping for digital. There was a guy heavily into scientific procedure (a doctor who quit medicine to work in recording studios, go figure) and he blind-tested all kinds of stuff, with the rest of us as subjects. Naturally we were all competitive, not least me. Happily I passed every time, because I figured out a way to do it.

We were tested in stereo, in good rooms, so the FR variations John mentions would sooner or later show up as variations in the phantom images. The trick was to pay extreme attention to the early samples, essentially memorizing them as visual tableaus, e.g. the woodblock strike is right there, two feet in front of the speaker, lined up with that doorknob ... the rimshot is there, level with where someone dumped their bag ... and so on. Then the next amp might have the woodblock or the snare nearer or closer.

It was a good way of passing tests, but I'm not sure it advanced the audio arts much. The place bought some good gear in the end, though.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
We are talking about amplifiers, not DACs in this thread. You know my view on DAC differences- unless they are faulty, they all are pretty much audibly indistinguishable, right from the very first CD players to SOTA DACs today.

It's not popular because people can't do it easily. It's not popular because most people have maybe one or two amplifiers, not a massive collection spanning many decades with which to draw from. I do. It's not popular because even if you do have the gear, the equipment, and the time (and lots of cable) to wire up a large comparator, it's the least wife friendly mess you have ever seen. I can only do it when my partner goes away for a week. It's not popular because only HiFi stores had the units and most have long gone into the hands of collectors or the landfill.

Now we have stupid Linn 1980s style 'one system per room' demos (if you can even find a HiFi store to compare gear) that are a waste of time.

Even my Dad (87) who has four rooms dedicated to HiFi baulked the other day when I asked him if he wanted the comparator taken over to his place and wired up (it would take a weekend of re-arranging and several 100M rolls of speaker cable). Unless you have a skirting aluminium box conduit to run the cables in to the speakers, it looks like a bomb has hit the room.

So, you can hear an audible difference in your amplifiers. No doubt that was a level matched and blind test? Or was the result a fait-acompli?

We were talking about amplifiers sounding different as an unpopular opinion in this forum, not how difficult it is to do a comparison. I see very little of the "everything sounds the same" view, I do see a lot of "come back when you have tested it properly"

Vasr

Major Contributor
We were talking about amplifiers sounding different as an unpopular opinion in this forum, not how difficult it is to do a comparison. I see very little of the "everything sounds the same" view, I do see a lot of "come back when you have tested it properly"

"come back when you have tested it properly" + how difficult it is to do a comparison = "go away"

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
People with this "all amplifiers sound the same" mindset are often the noisiest when it comes to making demands of 'proof'.
John, I don't know any objective who makes that claim, that would be dang foolish. It is a good line for the subjectives to claim of anyone who believes amps are (should be) a solved issue and attempt to put us in an mostly undefendable position.
With all the various topology available today from tubes (ultralinear, triode, SET, OTL, etc), to the solid state designs from the high end designers who work overtime to make designs that present a certain sound signature to hang their hat on. Fact is it's getting harder and harder to find amps from serious builders that have been aimed at being as transparent as possible. Off the top of my head I'd throw builds like Benchmark, possibly Parasound, the folks like March and the others doing personal spins of the new Class D modules, etc, I'm know there are many more but I don't need to list them. If I'm lucky my 25 y.o. Adcoms will follow me to the grave. :p
I view the situation from the perspective of Peter Aczel, that amplifier design is a mature technology and has been for a number of decades now. If the goal is to build a High Fidelity Solid State transparent amp, it's reasonably easy to do so, whether you prefer Class A, A/B, D or whatever alphabet soup you chose.
So Yes, IF properly designed, todays amps should all sound pretty much the same when paired with agreeable loads and power requirements.
Unfortunately that's a big IF.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Many sound the same, some sound identical and others quite different to one another. The question always becomes however, which ones are the best and which ones are 'right'...
Easy, the ones that measured the best. ;)

Top Bottom