• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don't have a big budget, but would like to have Dirac Live stereo in the kitchen and 5.0 in the living room..

Pygmy

Hi peeps, first off thank you all so much, I've learned so much just by reading your posts the past few years.

I don't have a big budget - spending 5k euros on a spiffy home theater amp is way out of my reach.

I have 2 rooms I'd like to take care of - the kitchen, which is 5x5meter and has a stereo speaker setup... And the living room, which is 5x6m and has a 5.0 setup.

Currently my kitchen is using a DIY Class D stereo amp based on the TPA3116 chip.
I've used a Umik-1 mic, Room Correction Wizard, and a Raspberry Pi with Hifi berry DSP DAC to "fix" / modify the audio signal going into the amplifier.

My living room is using a Sony 1050 receiver h that's it.

I'd like to treat both rooms using Dirac Live.
I've noticed the MiniDsp Shd Power, but that's 1800 euros... For my stereo setup,!
Theres also the MiniDsp Flex for half the money, that could work for the kitchen..

But what are the options for living-room Dirac Live?
Day - 5 channel Dirac Live?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hi peeps, first off thank you all so much, I've learned so much just by reading your posts the past few years.

I don't have a big budget - spending 5k euros on a spiffy home theater amp is way out of my reach.

I have 2 rooms I'd like to take care of - the kitchen, which is 5x5meter and has a stereo speaker setup... And the living room, which is 5x6m and has a 5.0 setup.

Currently my kitchen is using a DIY Class D stereo amp based on the TPA3116 chip.
I've used a Umik-1 mic, Room Correction Wizard, and a Raspberry Pi with Hifi berry DSP DAC to "fix" / modify the audio signal going into the amplifier.

My living room is using a Sony 1050 receiver h that's it.

I'd like to treat both rooms using Dirac Live.
I've noticed the MiniDsp Shd Power, but that's 1800 euros... For my stereo setup,!
Theres also the MiniDsp Flex for half the money, that could work for the kitchen..

But what are the options for living-room Dirac Live?
Day - 5 channel Dirac Live?
Sure. I use DiracLive in 5 or 8 channels.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
You could run Dirac software on a PC, use it as a source...(could be a small NUC)
For the lounge room the Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer AVR's are probably the best value

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d say keep your Pi Player/DSP for the kitchen. You already used REW to generate the filters. So Dirac won’t give you an improvement.

For the lounge get the AVRs which dlaloum suggested.

Or do you want to simultaneously play the same signal in the kitchen and the lounge?

OP
P

Pygmy

I’d say keep your Pi Player/DSP for the kitchen. You already used REW to generate the filters. So Dirac won’t give you an improvement.

For the lounge get the AVRs which dlaloum suggested.

Or do you want to simultaneously play the same signal in the kitchen and the lounge?
The filters for the Pi are only in the frequency domain, Dirac also works in the temporal domain (reflections).

Or at least, that's how I understand it.

OP
P

Pygmy

Sure. I use DiracLive in 5 or 8 channels.
Yeah so - *how*?:)

What gear do you use to do multichannel Dirac?
Is it an affordable option, or do you have a very expensive processor/amp/receiver?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The filters for the Pi are only in the frequency domain, Dirac also works in the temporal domain (reflections).

Or at least, that's how I understand it.
No.

The programmer for Moode and Camilla DSP are members here. You can ask them directly.

Top Bottom