• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dongle Dac to Stereo Amp and Speaker

daniell92

Hi guys, I want to clarify some doubts. Having any dac dongle with a single headphone output that comes out at 2v (meizu dac), can I connect it via jack -> Rca to a stereo amplifier and use the speakers? Could there be some problem? I tried to connect it to my smartphone via usb-c and rca to the amplifier (onkyo). I set the hardware volume to maximum from Hiby and managed the sound from the onkyo. But I also noticed that after a few minutes the onkyo was already pretty hot. Is there something wrong with this?

Zek

Major Contributor
Having any dac dongle with a single headphone output that comes out at 2v (meizu dac), can I connect it via jack -> Rca to a stereo amplifier and use the speakers?
Yes, you can.
But I also noticed that after a few minutes the onkyo was already pretty hot. Is there something wrong with this?
What Onkyo amp, and does the amplifier have good ventilation?

OP
D

daniell92

Yes, you can.

What Onkyo amp, and does the amplifier have good ventilation?
it is an AV receiver.
So can the dongle be used as a normal external dac? I need it to use the phone and start the various hires files. Is it normal for onkyo to get hot?

Taddpole

Too many unknowns to postulate.

What counts as hot

Which onkyo

Does it do it with other inputs

You didn't answer if it's well ventilated

OP
D

daniell92

Too many unknowns to postulate.

What counts as hot

Which onkyo

Does it do it with other inputs

You didn't answer if it's well ventilated

Simple AV Onkyo tx616
it is quietly ventilated, however I noticed that connecting the dac meizu dongle with rca to jack and usb c to the smartphone, onkyo becomes hotter than normal ... almost hot air comes out of the grid. I was wondering if this was normal, considering the meizu dongle comes out at 2v, which is the standard for an unbalanced dac. My question was if this type of products that also power headphones can somehow damage other components if used as simple external dacs

Top Bottom