• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dongle amp for Aeon RT

Firefly00

I’m looking for a powerful dongle to use with Aeon RT. Budget is approximately $100. To make things interesting, I live in NZ so cannot buy Qudelix 5K or Hidizs dongles.

Bluetooth not required, but it does need to work with an iPad over lightning

any suggestions? Shanling Ua2 looks good, as does Fiio KA3

mugbot

Forum Donor
I have a pair of A2 Noire's and am very pleased with both Qudelix 5k (I'm in Australia and was able to order one, so might be possible to NZ?) but also the E1DA 9038S (which needs a balanced cable, though you could also go with the 9038D which is single ended).

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Aeon RT Closed will test your Amp's current capabilities thoroughly.
The 9038D is a really bad choice therefore, as it is heavily current-limited below 40Ω.

However, as far as I know, the 9038S is still the best option on the market if you're after high current capabilities in a dongle form factor. There are many balanced dongles that can deliver higher voltage with high impedance headphones, but none that can hold onto their voltage at high loads as well as the 9038S.

Takes this with a grain of salt though, as I'm a moderator on E1DA's discord server. I do customer support and testing of beta firmware/hardware over there, though I'm not financially affiliated with the brand or its sales.

I do like to stay up to date on latest releases in the market segment though, so am confident in my claims above.

mugbot

Forum Donor
Huh interesting! I'm using the 9038S and was not aware of that difference.

OP
Firefly00

Firefly00

The Aeon RT Closed will test your Amp's current capabilities thoroughly.
The 9038D is a really bad choice therefore, as it is heavily current-limited below 40Ω.

However, as far as I know, the 9038S is still the best option on the market if you're after high current capabilities in a dongle form factor. There are many balanced dongles that can deliver higher voltage with high impedance headphones, but none that can hold onto their voltage at high loads as well as the 9038S.

Takes this with a grain of salt though, as I'm a moderator on E1DA's discord server. I do customer support and testing of beta firmware/hardware over there, though I'm not financially affiliated with the brand or its sales.

I do like to stay up to date on latest releases in the market segment though, so am confident in my claims above.
The 9038S looks amazing. All that power single ended is basically perfect for my application

cheers!

staticV3

Master Contributor
The 9038S looks amazing. All that power single ended is basically perfect for my application

cheers!
The 9038S uses a 2.5mm balanced jack and can only be used with balanced headphones.
4.4mm and 4pin XLR can be adapted. Using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter will kill the DAC.

OP
Firefly00

Firefly00

The 9038S uses a 2.5mm balanced jack and can only be used with balanced headphones.
4.4mm and 4pin XLR can be adapted. Using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter will kill the DAC.
Ah. I see. not sure how I missed that!

Top Bottom