• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don’t stand so close to me

North_Sky

Major Contributor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Placing away from walls has several advantages like better imaging which cannot really be corrected by DSP/EP, but the question posed here didn't leave that option but only placement close to the wall and there I still repeat that reasonable EQing is the better option than just hoping to find a loudspeaker with the perfect inverse room response.
Could you give an example of how to proceed?

D

Deleted member 65

Stereophile had a review of their floorstanding speakers. Their measurements were awful. The manufacture wrote back saying it was because nearfield measurements don’t correctly capture their complex output, only in room. John Atkinson replyed pointing out that in room measurements were made and shown and they were poor.

Not Carlsson but Larsen, anyway designed along Carlsson ideas.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/larsen-hifi-8-loudspeaker-manufacturers-comment

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. So OP is supposed to buy a measurement mic and learn to use REW.
I agree it is a good idea, provided he has the time and will to do so
As I had written in the initial post this is just one option, he could also get some active loudspeakers / studio monitors which have some reasonable adjustable PEQs and filters and then even adjust them using just his smartphone and a pink noise tracks, which would be less precise but a more fast and easy way. Or even use an AVR or stereo amp with room correction included, many ways lead to Rome. :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I had written in the initial post this is just one option, he could also get some active loudspeakers / studio monitors which have some reasonable adjustable PEQs and filters and then even adjust them using just his smartphone and a pink noise tracks, which would be less precise but a more fast and easy way. Or even use an AVR or stereo amp with room correction included, many ways lead to Rome. :)
Which smartphone app do you use? Measure each speaker or both at the same time?

It's OP's first message here. I think clear and simple guidelines should be given. Your video gives a good way but still not something you can do without hours of work.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gradient Helsinki 1.5/Revolution. Both have dipole radiation and smooth directivity. The Helsinki in particular was designed to have the dipole cancellation aimed towards the walls. Hence, the two recommended setups - right up against the front wall without toe-in and toed-in aggressively near sidewalls but well away from the front wall - exploit the dipole cancellation to potentially smoothen in-room response. Technically speaking, dipolar radiation doesn't reduce the prevalence of modes per se, according to Geddes. Simulations he did indicate that it can reduce the intensity/swing in FR caused by the modes. So even though there is an equal number of modes being excited vs typical speakers, just excited less, which may manifest as smoother in-room FR without EQ in the listening position.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which smartphone app do you use? Measure each speaker or both at the same time?

It's OP's first message here. I think clear and simple guidelines should be given. Your video gives a good way but still not something you can do without hours of work.
If the OP chooses that way I can provide him more info, for now its superfluous as it also depends on the hardware (DSP/PEQ/loudspeaker) he would choose.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the OP chooses that way I can provide him more info, for now its superfluous as it also depends on the hardware (DSP/PEQ/loudspeaker) he would choose.
Yes but I'm also interested in the app.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buchardt S400 works well near the wall. Be ready to use room EQ to tame boominess from putting speakers near the wall in any case, but there's no port so no air movement. Black line is speakers set to Large (no bass management, in-room).

Buchardt S400 In-Room Extension.png

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buchardt S400 works well near the wall. Be ready to use room EQ to tame boominess from putting speakers near the wall. Black line is speakers set to Large (no bass management, in-room).

View attachment 76689

Black line doesn't look like too much bass to me. I'd probably EQ it up even more than that.

youngho

D&D 8c.
Kii 3, with our without BXT.
Gradient 1.4.
Quite a lot of Genelecs with sam.
A lot of Kef's come with optional port plugging for close to wall, some other companies offer similar.
Old Linn and Naim were always designed for this placement.
The not quite out yet GGNTKT are.
Sadly too few others.

I just wanted to clarify that the Gradient 1.4 should be positioned at least 30 cm from the wall behind them, however the OP defines "close."

OP
VictorSF

VictorSF

When I first saw this thread's title I was certain it was another scientific pandemic thread. Anyone else who also thought the same?

* An option to save space is to install in-wall speakers.
It was meant to be!

Top Bottom