• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don’t stand so close to me

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D&D 8c.
Kii 3, with our without BXT.
Gradient 1.4.
Quite a lot of Genelecs with sam.
A lot of Kef's come with optional port plugging for close to wall, some other companies offer similar.
Old Linn and Naim were always designed for this placement.
The not quite out yet GGNTKT are.
Sadly too few others.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or much better get a nice PEQ or DSP and you don't need anymore to hope that by trial'n'error you get a loudspeaker with the exact inverse bass frequency response of your room response.
I've not found this to work with all speakers, I cannot get my current Sonus Fabers to sound right close to the wall, without DSP out from the wall sounds better than with lot's of DSP close to the wall.
I agree with the approach in general though.

tlag

Which wall? A bunch of Danley SH, SM (e.g., SH50/60, SM60, etc.) models will butt right up against the side walls, no problem. They're meant to be placed with angled sides against each other, and, by symmetry, a wall is just the same. Also, radiation to the back is way curtailed from midrange up, so not so sensitive to front wall either. But in a narrow enough room, side walls just disappear.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile had a review of their floorstanding speakers. Their measurements were awful. The manufacture wrote back saying it was because nearfield measurements don’t correctly capture their complex output, only in room. John Atkinson replyed pointing out that in room measurements were made and shown and they were poor.

Nope. They have measured the Larsen speakers and these should not be confused by the Carlsson.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those have always intrigued me. I would love to see some real measurements on them, as most subjective reviews have been good. They rarely come up for sale in the used market, so either very few have been sold, or the owners of them are happy and don't feel the need to buy something else.

I do know they were/are Von Schweikert's best selling speaker. But that may not be saying much for a high end speaker manufacturer. I heard them at RMAF about 9 years ago and was very impressed with them. They were about 12" off the wall and being driven by some megabuck Hephaestus class-D amplifiers. They use the rear wall to increase lower bass response. They have the Von Schweikert "house sound" at way less than their other models. I own a pair of older VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers and I love the sound - powerful, rich, warm and clear. I'd say the VR-33 does most everything my VR-4's do at a fraction of the price. I would love to see them measured...

Martin

North_Sky

Major Contributor
When I first saw this thread's title I was certain it was another scientific pandemic thread. Anyone else who also thought the same?

* An option to save space is to install in-wall speakers.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

F1308

Major Contributor
What for the other frequencies? -6dB ? -9dB?
That is to say: which slope?
No idea, sorry...the formulation takes the -3 dB point, but nothing was told for the reasons of it.
But I guess if you take another point [-6dB, -9dB -12dB] then the formula will just take another coefficient to give the very same result...perhaps. Or may be the step down to -3dB is somewhat smooth and could be used universally...
Be aware that this is a quick way to start testing until you are happy enough, without you having to move to and fro along a 10 meter line , 1000 cm, 10000 mm....
I am just trying to help on the basics of knowing what people moving the World forward [ a very few of very many ] discovered after much work and kindly wrote or said to us...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even Toole doesn't say anything 100% working to fight room modes, probably he is a n00b as well...
Were did I wrote that something eliminating is 100% room modes?
Please keep that straw man for others...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not found this to work with all speakers, I cannot get my current Sonus Fabers to sound right close to the wall, without DSP out from the wall sounds better than with lot's of DSP close to the wall.
I agree with the approach in general though.
Placing away from walls has several advantages like better imaging which cannot really be corrected by DSP/EP, but the question posed here didn't leave that option but only placement close to the wall and there I still repeat that reasonable EQing is the better option than just hoping to find a loudspeaker with the perfect inverse room response.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When I first saw this thread's title I was certain it was another scientific pandemic thread. Anyone else who also thought the same?
That's exactly what I thought....

Top Bottom