• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Domestic noise suppression

OP
S

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I got some 1lb 1/8” MLV and just in a hurry draped it between the condenser and the wall. I have not yet had a chance to insulate the return and apply foam/sealant yet.

I sort of folded it over itself and just placed it there. It is slumped and doesn’t even cover the height of the condenser.

Subjectively much better. Now it’s more like a background hum. Not perfect but acceptable. It seems it was the 125hz component that was most bothersome. Probably some other overtones also.

Next order of business is to insulate and apply foam/sealant to the lines. Then maybe nail on the MLV. But it seems to be great just kind of bunched up like it is with air gaps.

The fridge is getting 3 36x24 GIK monster bass traps.

The back window is getting bass traps to cover all of it. Both to keep condenser noise out and for cleaner bass.

The 2 front corners are getting bass traps but only for the bottom 47”. Maybe the next upgrade is for the top 47” as well.

Edit: second picture is after some tweaking to get some height.

I think I will try to lay out some concrete blocks too.

Attachments

• B11418F0-2895-4E98-B545-EB16C7E54E2C.png
    B11418F0-2895-4E98-B545-EB16C7E54E2C.png
    421.6 KB · Views: 50
  • C412B75C-8048-4BCD-B3EB-97723F9FBEEA.png
    C412B75C-8048-4BCD-B3EB-97723F9FBEEA.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
OP
S

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally did the spray foam. That made a difference. Probably it was letting noise in a spot where the wall is effectively single pane.

Also covered 2 windows on the condenser side with curtains.

I can now hear a light but deep machine noise but I can safely say the fridge is the far bigger problem in this space now when it is running. Far bigger problem.

I’ll get some help and lay out some concrete blocks next.

Also probably plaster that wall with acoustic panels both for better acoustics and to cut that noise.

Now other issues have surfaced like the fireplace flue resonance. I’ll have put panels there too. There are people are gearspace who have needed to cover the whole flue with dynamat. I can’t be doing that so I’ll just cover the fireplace.

A couple of other observations. While the AudioTools iOS app claims 34dB genelec GLM shows 59dB. In fact if I try to calibrate it tells me the background noise is too high to calibrate and asks if I would like to continue.

A weighting in AudioTools shows that the 63Hz peak is actually inaudible. It the 125Hz and 250Hz areas that are more of the problem. I’m hoping the 4” acoustic panels I have ordered will solve this. I have the 7.35” versions also coming which I can experiment with. Those I think would go better on the fireplace. Maybe I’ll forget covering the window and let corner bass traps along with the curtain handle that area.

Waiting on GIK at this point. All their stuff takes about a month to arrive.

Lots to work on both inside and outside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom