• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dolby Vision | What is it?

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Some LG OLED 4K TVs get around 750 nits, real life measurements. I think from what I've read.
Top 4K front projectors; Wolf, Sim, Runco, Sony, ...I just don't know. Perhaps laser technology is much superior in that aspect of peak brightness?

10,000 nits ... maybe in the year 2047? How much light can our eyes take before it becomes "unnatural"?
The outside ultraviolet light will damage your vision in long exposures and unprotected...hat, shades, ...
Mountain climbers of high snow peaks on sunny days take a hard beating eyesight wise...I think.

Years ago, during the cathode tube years, scientists came up with studies on the human eye's effects from sitting too close to a 27" glass tube Trinitron TV.
Kids sitting on the floor three feet from the tele. Dad telling them to back off if they wanted to see the rest of evolving life, like in real nature, the outdoors, the wildlife. I don't know how serious those studies were; if they originated from science groups similar to CNN news, I'd say "hokus-pokus abracadabra look somewhere else". :D

Anyway, Dolby Vision...we'll see how it will transpose in our homes from 4K Blu-ray discs and other 4K content encoded with it.
Some people buy today with a vision into the future, others for what this moment has to offer.
The side we're in is the right side; everyone else is on the wrong side. :D ...Just kidding; Dolby Vision is promising.

fas42

Major Contributor
Bob, the point is not whether one can blind oneself by deliberating overdoing things in the viewing - rather, whether the technology can deliver the "real experience" - you're inside a house, and then walk outside into bright sunlight; you do this millions of times in your lifetime - will visual technology be able to deliver the same "hit"?

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Top Bottom