• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does your active loudspeakers auto-standby feature work as expected?

Does your speakers auto standby function work as expected?

• Total voters

Digby

Major Contributor
I'm interested to see how well this function is implemented. Please pick a choice in the poll - if you have several loudspeakers, then provide details of each in thread. When answering, answer for your main pair of speakers.

Name your loudspeakers and comment on whether the auto standby feature works as expected. Please provide details as to time to turn on when receiving audio and volume needed to wake from standby, also whether it only turns off when there is no signal, as opposed to a quiet one.

Ideal would be a fast turn on when presented with minimal signal and no turning off in quiet passages. I wonder how many active loudspeakers accomplish this.

What is your experience?

Last edited:

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Genelec, a few different models. Come on at very low levels almost immediately. Only turns off when there is no signal.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The KF92 sub works very well.
The KH80 sometimes (once a day) come on for no apparent reason, but switch off reliably after the set time.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Only have two active monitors with auto standby: Fostex 6301 and Fluid Audio FX50

Both work as expected: turns on after maybe 2-4 seconds depending on signal strength. Turns off after maybe 15-20 minutes of no signal and not when playing quiet content/at low SPL -- sorry, can't quite remember the exact time in minutes.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. When I want to listen, I turn the outlet strip to the ON position to power up the rack of equipment. So far that has worked flawlessly.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Yes. When I want to listen, I turn the outlet strip to the ON position to power up the rack of equipment. So far that has worked flawlessly.
But that is neither auto nor standby and some active speakers will give a delightful POP/THUMP sound if you do that.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I have a Hypex FA251-based subwoofer. The autosensing/standby never worked when I first built it, but after last firmware update it started working as it should ...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But that is neither auto nor standby and some active speakers will give a delightful POP/THUMP sound if you do that.
Not the SEAS nor the horns, since the A21 and J2 amps are thumpless. But in any event, I was simply being a wise guy ;)

AwesomeSauce2015

In my room I had an SVS SB-2000. The room is extremely small for that kind of bass firepower, so I ran it at a low volume, and couldn't send it a lot of signal.
No matter what I did, the sub would always seem to turn off when the music was playing at lower levels...
Now I have a little Dayton DSPB-430 powering my Q100s, and instead of a sub I just use DSP to bump up 60-120hz... It doesn't have issues with any auto-standby it may have, but I normally just turn it on and off when I use it.

fieldcar

I ended up using a smart plug that I activate via a home assistant or the app, and I also have the schedule turn itself off automatically every night. I'm happy with this oddball solution.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neither my iLoud MTMs nor my Presonus Sub8 have an auto standby or sleep function. I have both MTMs and the sub connected to an IR mains switch which is trained to activate on button press from my Topping DAC remote.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have my pair of LS50's set with the auto off mode if no signal goes through them in a certain amount of time. It does work, as they turn off both from that and earc.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The amps go to stand-by after 13 min. without signal.
Signal's lower bandwidth is -3db@ 20Hz and upper bandwidth is -3db@ 2.4KHz.
Trigger threshold is set @ 3mV rms.

When in stand-by consume 0.5W.
You can hear the amps fire up when they wake,some slight relay sound or something like this.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The KH80 sometimes (once a day) come on for no apparent reason, but switch off reliably after the set time.

This - my KH 80 DSP always wake when expected - and multiple times a day when they are not fed signal.

YSC

Major Contributor
8030C and 7040A, used as PC speaker, never have a problem

Norcal

Elac Navis ARB-51 connected to either a Bluesound Node 2i or an Auralic Altair G1

I listen near-field at relatively low volumes, and it is hit or miss if they come on right away, come on after 10 or 20 seconds or don't come on at all without a power cycle. I don't know if I listened louder regularly if they'd be more reliable auto-powering on. I suppose I could easily figure that out but haven't tried.

When they go into standby after not receiving a signal for some amount of time (maybe 5-10 min), they make a pop noise. I always assumed that was their normal behavior. They are fine otherwise, and those issues don't really get in the way of my enjoyment of them.

Aerith Gainsborough

The auto-off on my Arendal does work well for most of the time but during quiet night listening it regularly dozes off. :'D

eric1

My KH 750 DSP does not wake up no matter what I do. :( Anyone with the same problem or an idea what to do?

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
My KH 750 DSP does not wake up no matter what I do. :( Anyone with the same problem or an idea what to do?
Sounds like it has narcolepsy, rather than contact with a doctor, I'd talk to Neumann and see what they have to say.

Trell

Major Contributor
The standby time on my Genelec 8330A monitors and 7360A are configured from a few minutes to several hours. I’ve set mine to one hour and that works. Signal sensitivity to wake them up from standby is configurable as well, and wakeup works always.

Top Bottom