• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Using an Active Preamp Render the Dedicated DAC Useless?

heita0

Hello! I am trying to set up the following electronics to my PC:
  • DAC
  • Headphone Amp
  • Speaker Preamp
  • Speaker Amp
I am thinking of using XLR Y-splitters to split the DAC signal between the Headphone Amp and Speaker PreAmp. The Speaker Preamp will then 'feed' the Speaker Amp.
I need the dedicated Speaker Preamp because I would like the option to add a subwoofer to my speaker system with a crossover frequency I can control. The NAD M12 preamp provides this feature. It also provides room correction, which can be great. However, it has a built-in DAC—will this replace my dedicated DAC in the speaker chain if I feed it XLR inputs?

These are my questions:
1) Is DAC>Headphone amp + Speaker Preamp>Speaker Amp the correct organization?
2) Will using the speaker preamp for subwoofer crossover and room correction result in the preamp's DAC being used instead of my dedicated DAC? The dedicated DAC I will use is very high quality, so it is a problem if adding the preamp to the chain essentially takes its value addition out from the speaker chain.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use room EQ the NAD must digitize the analogue signal as room EQ is done in the digital domain. Afterwards it goes through the internal DAC. Hence you should feed digital sources directly into the NAD to prevent the unnecessary AD/DA conversion.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume that you have the "Analogue PCB" option. The analogue signal path does go digital shortly after entering the preamp.

NAD 1.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! I am trying to set up the following electronics to my PC:
  • DAC
  • Headphone Amp
  • Speaker Preamp
  • Speaker Amp
I am thinking of using XLR Y-splitters to split the DAC signal between the Headphone Amp and Speaker PreAmp. The Speaker Preamp will then 'feed' the Speaker Amp.
I need the dedicated Speaker Preamp because I would like the option to add a subwoofer to my speaker system with a crossover frequency I can control. The NAD M12 preamp provides this feature. It also provides room correction, which can be great. However, it has a built-in DAC—will this replace my dedicated DAC in the speaker chain if I feed it XLR inputs?

These are my questions:
1) Is DAC>Headphone amp + Speaker Preamp>Speaker Amp the correct organization?
2) Will using the speaker preamp for subwoofer crossover and room correction result in the preamp's DAC being used instead of my dedicated DAC? The dedicated DAC I will use is very high quality, so it is a problem if adding the preamp to the chain essentially takes its value addition out from the speaker chain.
I have the service manual if you want it.

OP
heita0

heita0

If you use room EQ the NAD must digitize the analogue signal as room EQ is done in the digital domain. Afterwards it goes through the internal DAC. Hence you should feed digital sources directly into the NAD to prevent the unnecessary AD/DA conversion.
Thanks @LTig, so: the original DAC gets 'bypassed' as there is a second (pair of) conversion, so the actual analog signal going to the stereo amplifier will be that made by the preamp's DAC and not the dedicated DAC at the beginning of the chain. As such, the dedicated DAC is essentially 'useless' in the speaker chain. I hope I understood this correctly?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @LTig, so: the original DAC gets 'bypassed' as there is a second (pair of) conversion, so the actual analog signal going to the stereo amplifier will be that made by the preamp's DAC and not the dedicated DAC at the beginning of the chain. As such, the dedicated DAC is essentially 'useless' in the speaker chain. I hope I understood this correctly?
The dedicated DAC is not bypassed but it is useless because the signal needs to be digitized in the NAD afterwards. Therefore feed the digital signal directly to the NAD to really bypass the dedicated DAC ( and the ADC in the NAD).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As others have said, your DAC becomes redundant.

Digital into the NAD Preaamp Analogue out from the preamp split and sent boht to your speaker amp, and headphone amp. If both balanced and unbalanced outputs are active simultaneously - you could use one for the speaker amp, and the other for the headphone amp - depending on what connections they have.

It is a hellishly expensive solution though just to get a sub pre out. You could achieve the same with a Mini DSP 2x4HD for around $250, or 4x10HD if you need balanced for about $560

Last edited:
Top Bottom