• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does this set up sound like it would work?

Lafayette

I want to integrate a subwoofer into my current 2.0 set up, while also being able to high pass so my speakers are relieved of lower frequencies. I also want to make sure I can still use the volume controls on the integrated amplifier for my speakers and sub.

This is for my PC. I have a sound card, which I have 3.5 to RCA out to the analog inputs of a Klipsch Powergate amp. I want to add a Rhythmik L12, but since there's no high pass filter I was thinking I can purchase a HSU High Pass filter.

Would I be able to go from Sound card out-->to HSU Filter in-->HSU Filter out-->Analog in on Klipsch Powergate-->Analog out from Klipsch Powergate-->Rhythmik L12 In.

Zek

Major Contributor
Are you sure that Klipsh Powergate amp has no high pass filter (there's sub out).

Zek

Major Contributor
If Powergate's sub out is only mono out, than you must find subwoofer with high pass filter in it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use the HSU filter prior to the Powergate, then there will be no bass for the sub. It will have been filtered out. So this will relieve the main speakers of low frequencies, but then none are left for the analog out of the Powergate either on speaker connections or RCA outs.

So this will not work.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

On top of that, the HSU shows no published specs for frequency response, TDH or S/N ratio. I’d never put something like that in my signal chain.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well maybe there is a way. Look at this page 2 of the manual for a Vandersteen 2W subwoofer. https://vandersteen.com/media/files/Manuals/2wqmanual.pdf

They did an odd thing. The amp for the subwoofer started a very, very low frequency low pass. You set the high pass for the main speakers, and the contour evened out for flat response to the subwoofer between the high pass and lower frequencies. Here is a screen shot.

So you could set the L12 to crossover at 30 hz. Between there and wherever the high pass set by the HSU is would be flat response to the subwoofer and you'd still have your high pass filter to the main speakers. The main drawback is the subwoofer will need plenty of gain above normal for this to work. Most likely the L12 will have enough gain, but I wouldn't know for sure until you try it. I've set up Rythmiks before and I think it would work out.

My I ask what your main speakers are? I would think there are others, but I know the JBL LSR310 sub takes line in, does a low pass to the built in woofer, and puts out a high pass to the main speakers. So with it you could feed signal to the LSR310 1st, and then feed the output to the Powergate inputs for the main speakers. You'll need some adapters to RCA, but it should work. Maybe someone knows of other powered subs that do the total crossover for you.

1566697589156.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
L

Lafayette

Thanks for the information everyone, I worked and had to go out yesterday so I was not able to read anything until this morning. I have Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1's. The Powergate is exhibiting some annoying behavior so I don't know if I'll end up keeping it. It seems to randomly go into standby mode, even at times when I have something playing (music, youtube, netflix etc). No noticeable pattern to why its doing this. It also is getting very hot (which I had read about), I have it elevated higher with a small PC fan running air over it and this isn't changing the heat. It doesn't get a warranty from Klipsh because the vendor isn't on their authorized list so these issues are a real concern to me.

I actually won a $200 gift card because I worked Saturday haha. So I think I'm just going to get an NAD D3045, it has the high pass filter, has the compact size, has enough watts and I can get it with a warranty.

Thanks again for your help, the community on this site is amazing.

Top Bottom