• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does the slightly larger tweeter on Genelec 8350 make much difference when playing quiet?

EPC

Considering purchasing the Genelec 8340 with GLM.
The 8350 is a few hundred more and has a slightly larger tweeter and a slightly bigger woofer.

I intend to get the matching sub at some point, so I’m not too concerned about the low end, but does the larger tweeter make much of a difference when playing back at lower volumes? (Under 80dB)

Also, how would a full 2.1 Genelec 8340 setup, compare with the Neumann KN line?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Don't think it makes any difference. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but only going 3-way (and coaxial, hehe) would bring a sizeable difference here.

PS: realized the advantages the 8050 has over the 8040 are smoothed by DSP, and was going to recommend the 8330, but its power response is really wonky

Last edited:
Reactions: EPC
OP
E

EPC

Don't think it makes any difference. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but only going 3-way (and coaxial, hehe) would bring a sizeable difference here.

PS: realize the advantages the 8050 has over the 8040 are smoothed by DSP, and was going to recommend the 8330, but its power response is really wonky
From what I’ve read I believe the 8340 is worth the extra money to upgrade, not too sure about the 8350 though...
I’m definitely getting a 83xx monitor as I want to be able to use the GLM.

Think I’ve asked you before but what’s your opinion on the KH line?
ASR has a review that makes them seem pretty solid.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
From what I’ve read I believe the 8340 is worth the extra money to upgrade, not too sure about the 8350 though...
I’m definitely getting a 83xx monitor as I want to be able to use the GLM.

Think I’ve asked you before but what’s your opinion on the KH line?
ASR has a review that makes them seem pretty solid.
Now that the MA-1 exists, the odds are a bit evened out, but their range lacks something between the KH120 and the KH420 that doesn't have KH310's far/diffuse field flaws (compromise between compact layout and directivity). They also should pick a gimmick between coaxial and LF directivity control to stay in the SOTA race.
Other than that, both Neumann and Genelec certainly are amongst the top loudspeaker brands, if not the best.

OP
E

EPC

Now that the MA-1 exists, the odds are a bit evened out, but their range lacks something between the KH120 and the KH420 that doesn't have KH310's far/diffuse field flaws (compromise between compact layout and directivity). They also should pick a gimmick between coaxial and LF directivity control to stay in the SOTA race.
Other than that, both Neumann and Genelec certainly are amongst the top loudspeaker brands, if not the best.
Any other speakers you would suggest?
Care much for the Focal Twin (in comparison to 8340)?

Top Bottom