• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does the oppo sonica perform the same as oppo 205?

helloworld

Hi Amirm, I would like to know if the oppo sonica is worth to buy. It does not have the headphone amp, but has the stream option. I don’t know if the dynamic range and thd+n are the same as the oppo 205. If I can’t get any test information about sonica, I will probably buy the 205 plus a Raspberry Pi. Thank you very much!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi there. Unfortunately I don't know because I have not measured it. If they have a money back guarantee, and you are in US, you could buy it and have it drop shipped to me. I will measure it and if it doesn't perform, you can get an RMA number and I will ship it back to them. Otherwise, I can send it to you.

The oppo 205 is hard to find and when you do find it, will be a lot more expensive.

gvl

Major Contributor
The Sonica DAC had been discontinued even before Oppo officially announced it was pulling from CE business in US, might be hard to find one new especially so with a liberal return policy. I remember reading it is very similar to the 205 internally. Owners complained it did not support gapless playback when streaming.

OP
H

helloworld

Hi there. Unfortunately I don't know because I have not measured it. If they have a money back guarantee, and you are in US, you could buy it and have it drop shipped to me. I will measure it and if it doesn't perform, you can get an RMA number and I will ship it back to them. Otherwise, I can send it to you.

The oppo 205 is hard to find and when you do find it, will be a lot more expensive.

Thank you very much, unfortunately i am not in US, otherwise I would definitely ship it to you.

Top Bottom