• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does the hardware that you use have an influence on the genres you listen to?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Is that from the original CD or the youtube file? Also, what's it telling you in particular?
It's from the youtube video you've posted. It shows the how the spectrum (10 Hz to 20 kHz, dark blue = low level, yellow = high level) varies over time. On the left you see the projection over all spectra, on top the projection over all amplitude levels.

One sees that the lowest bass line is around 30 Hz, with 2nd to 4th harmonics visible.

JRS

Major Contributor
I genuinely do not believe that.

The best recording studios I've been in (JBL M2s and Genelecs in DSP-corrected and treated rooms) do not do *certain things* as well as, say, electrostatic speakers.

Electrostatic speakers are terrible studio monitors, have bad dynamic range, etc.

But in the narrow range of what they're best in class at, e.g. small scale acoustic instruments, they're better than a good all-rounder.

I have never, ever heard a system that is best-in-class at everything.
Depends on the electrostatics: the Sanders 10e panels (hybrid base, xo 170Hz) can hit 120 dB in stride, and are said to be virtually indestructible. Some consider them the world's finest loudspeaker, not sure about that, but definitely among the very best, and at 20K/pr maybe along with the Genelecs one of the greatest values. Said to be able to absorb the 900W/channel amp they come with, and are 94 dB at 1 meter. Thepanels carry a lifetime warranty. These ain't your dad's Quads.

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
For audiophile reasons I bought a Diana Krall album. I think I listened to it once. The sq is, admittedly, good. But the music...............
This is a good example of what's wrong with audiophilia. It's not about music, it's about the gear. Which doesn't make a lot of sense IMO.
Try seeing her live at a Jazz festival such as the one at Telluride. That woman can get down. I agree a lot of the lush string/crooner stuff is annoying in the extreme, but please don't confuse her with some minimal talent skirt with sultry voice. Listen to the interview and I think you'll agree, this lady is the real deal.

Top Bottom