• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does the hardware that you use have an influence on the genres you listen to?

8bits

After setting up my current HiFi system I have noticed that my listening patterns changed (not drastically, but slightly).

In general, I mainly listen to experimental music, however, there are a whole plethora of different styles in this umbrella definition of experimental, and in the past, I would focus more on music with synthesisers and electronic elements.

What changed is that with my current hardware, I've noticed that I am listening to music where acoustical instruments like piano, cello and also vocals are more pronounced and are the focus of the music. Most likely it is because it is such a pleasure to listen to them with my setup, which I even though the old setup wasn't bad at all, it wasn't on this level.

It made me wonder if other people have experienced the same shift in listening patterns based on the hardware that they are using.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I would think that this would be the case with speakers. Electrostats would be more enjoyable for some types of music verses horns for instance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After setting up my current HiFi system I have noticed that my listening patterns changed (not drastically, but slightly).

In general, I mainly listen to experimental music, however, there are a whole plethora of different styles in this umbrella definition of experimental, and in the past, I would focus more on music with synthesisers and electronic elements.

What changed is that with my current hardware, I've noticed that I am listening to music where acoustical instruments like piano, cello and also vocals are more pronounced and are the focus of the music. Most likely it is because it is such a pleasure to listen to them with my setup, which I even though the old setup wasn't bad at all, it wasn't on this level.

It made me wonder if other people have experienced the same shift in listening patterns based on the hardware that they are using.
I get what you mean but perhaps that was just the musical odyssey you would have gone on anyway? Not sure how you could make the causal link.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I switch systems depending on what I want to listen to. Sometimes wrongly as blind-testing myself showed. But that is part of the ceremonial, just as setting up the right lighting for movies sessions is. Fetishism to some extent.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I switch systems depending on what I want to listen to. Sometimes wrongly as blind-testing myself showed. But that is part of the ceremonial, just as setting up the right lighting for movies sessions is. Fetishism to some extent.

This is what I do too. I'm ultimately building towards having several great setups that I can switch between(rather than one uber expensive set). I'm envious of your 2 great setups(especially the Giya :D).

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I do too. I'm ultimately building towards having several great setups that I can switch between(rather than one uber expensive set). I'm envious of your 2 great setups(especially the Giya :D).
The funniest thing is that my most used system is a sub $100 FX-Audio amp driving sub $100 artsound speakers (desktop setup), followed by a Marantz HD-AMP1 (panned, a bit harshly imho, by Amir) driving a pair of KEF LS50 + SB16Ultra (office system). The big systems are, of course, way better by any measure, but they are not required to enjoy music. Wish you the best on your systems, small or huge!
artsound.jpg

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nope.

I was born to rock and I will rock all the way into the grave :cool:

JP

Major Contributor
No.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that many people who move up to a better sound system start enjoying more acoustic music simply because for once it can actually sound more natural and real - the clarity and timbrel nuance now rewards close listening. That doesn't mean the same system can't do justice to other music though.

I use a variety of speakers because I enjoy how they sound different, but I seem to enjoy all forms of music on all of them. I even like rock on my tiny Spendor S3/5 speakers. Though if I had to live with a single pair it would be one of my floor standing speakers that can really push air.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Nope. But it definitely causes me to favor good recordings over bad ones. Any good recording from any genre sounds great on my headphone or speaker rig. Bad recordings? Meh...I still listen to them. Some of my favorite band's albums weren't very well-engineered, but I've realized you can't really fix a poor recording with your system.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Those bass-heavy headphones that flooded the market recently are a response to Dance/Hip-Hop/Pop 'n' Techno. So, yeah, there's a musical identikit that's attached to one's choice of playback gear. Some like it loud and some like Diane Krall. Mind you, it might be the music listened to determines the gear that one desires/uses. But it's pretty safe to say metalheads won't be interested in Quad Electrostats.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Top Bottom