• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does the Benchmark DAC3 need ‘running in’?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Does Benchmark’s DAC3 need ‘running-in’ ?
I suggested we should ask John Siau directly, another forum a poster opined that even if it did need to be ‘run-in’ Benchmark wouldn’t admit it!
We need to know the truth.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes it’s more audiophile nonsense, it just made me chuckle that Benchmark of all people might lie about their equipment needing to ‘burn-in’ .
There really isn’t much actual thinking on other forums, someone says ‘it sounded better after 300 hours burn-in ‘ and everyone just nods like sheep.
Keith

solderdude

Grand Contributor
someone says ‘it sounded better after 300 hours burn-in ‘

It probably does to the one making the statement.
Doesn't mean anything electrically in the device actually changed over that mentioned 300 hrs.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As goofy as the hi-fi thing is, it can't match the electric guitar scene. JHS (the pedal company) owner Josh Scott is always up to something both interesting and funny. People always claimed how an expensive tube amp couldn't be accurately copied by a digital effects amp. On his YT show he always had a pic of a well respected tube amp, while playing and reviewing stuff. Folks assumed it was the amp he was using. Always got great comments.

Later, he admitted to viewers that for the past year he had really been using a Kemper SS modeling amp, emulating the tube amp, which was just for show. Scandal ensued. LOL

Recently he AB'd an old 'throw-away' pedal that typically sold for thirty to fifty bucks on the used marketplace, comparing it to some high-enders, like the 'holy-roller grail' Klon pedal (that sells for four or five large, used--depending on whether you have the original box). No one was able to tell the difference between the five thousand dollar Klon, and the fifty dollar Bad Monkey.

Now, thousands of Monkey's had been sold over the past two decades, and although everyone had one, few used it. So with this new information, what did Monkey owners do? They immediately took them out of their closets, marked them up, and proceeded to list them on Reverb for three hundred dollars or more. Never let a good opportunity go to waste. Or, they dug it out from under the bottom of their pedal-pile, put it back in the loop, and said to themselves with great satisfaction, "Yes..., I always knew this had that Klon vibe!"

Sometimes it's embarrassing being both a hi-fi and an electric guitar hobbyist.

AudiOhm

If electronics need "run in". "burn in", break in" how much time does NASA allow for the Orion rocket electronics to burn in?

Are they going to be half way to the moon and get better control, navigation, communications etc...

Ohms

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timmeon

The goal of burn-in is to precipitate failures due to workmanship defects, correct them, and demonstrate a sufficient period of failure-free operation after any corrections are made.

So the goal is not to achieve a velvety midrange and fuller bass? NASA is so weird.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The goal of burn-in is to precipitate failures due to workmanship defects, correct them, and demonstrate a sufficient period of failure-free operation after any corrections are made.

So the goal is not to achieve a velvety midrange and fuller bass? NASA is so weird.
Not so! Just listen to the sound of a rocket taking off. It doesn't get any better than that!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have to change the DAC3 oil after the break-in?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Because in space… no one can you hear you scream…

:)

But this is what burn in is all about. Looking for production failures and pulling them off the lot. I can how there might be some rate of defective tubes if they have never been powered on, and in the hey day before transistors, I would imagine that automated testing was uncommon unless you had JAN certified tubes (otherwise, why would you need the JAN certification).

The only time I have ever seen “audiophile” burn in described and believed it is with Diatone and their newest speaker. They say that burn-in is required for the speaker to reach its stable condition and as a result, they perform this burn-in at the factory before assigning a serial number to the speaker.

If burn in improved the sound, why wouldn’t a manufacturer take the time to make sure their speaker performs ideally right out of the box?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it’s more audiophile nonsense, it just made me chuckle that Benchmark of all people might lie about their equipment needing to ‘burn-in’ .
There really isn’t much actual thinking on other forums, someone says ‘it sounded better after 300 hours burn-in ‘ and everyone just nods like sheep.
Keith
It's a DAC, not a saddle.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If electronics need "run in". "burn in", break in" how much time does NASA allow for the Orion rocket electronics to burn in?

Are they going to be half way to the moon and get better control, navigation, communications etc...
I work for an electronics company. We make "industrial" electronics and sometimes military contractors buy it. We test, burn-in (at elevated temperature), and test again before shipping. That's not because they "improve". The intention is to weed-out any early failures.

I assume NASA does similar but more intense stress testing, including vibration testing.

As goofy as the hi-fi thing is, it can't match the electric guitar scene.
But different guitars do sound different and guitar amps sound different. Unlike hi-fi amps, guitar amps are supposed to have certain sound characteristics and "sound good" when over driven. Guitars have a tone control and usually multiple pickups & switches so the same guitar can sound different, plus it can be played "differently" Guitar amps also have a tone control and usually other switches so the same guitar amp can sound different and if you are recording a different microphone or different mic position can sound different. And when you throw effect pedals into the mix every pedal can have a different sound.

There does seem to be plenty of mythology and nonsense in the musical world but it's harder to separate the science from the nonsense...

Jim Lill does some interesting scientific experiments on guitars and guitar amps. YouTube

AudiOhm

The NASA "burn in" is done to test for component failure, not to improve how the electronics work.

My last 2 jobs were in the manufacturing business, Robotics and water treatment. All the equipment was run to test for failures, and proper assembly...

Ohms

Sokel

Master Contributor
Not so! Just listen to the sound of a rocket taking off. It doesn't get any better than that!
How about making chemical one use only woofers™ for the ultra hi-end market?
(cost no object obviously)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The NASA "burn in" is done to test for component failure, not to improve how the electronics work.

Right, I was giving the joke response to the comment made about NASA :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The old man moved the family to Ef El A when I was an adolescent. About 50 miles from the space place. When the Shuttle took off, you could sometimes 'feel' the ground shockwave from our back yard. Landing, it flew overhead, making a peculiar 'double' sonic boom.

Watched the Challenger go down in real time. People just standing around in awe. No one could believe it.

Before I moved, I brought an overseas visitor to KSC. That day they launched one of the 'smaller' Space X machines. KSC provides an observation area a few miles from the launch site. Even that small rocket was pretty amazing from a 'sound and vision' standpoint. Forget your subwoofers, once they light the fuse.

As an aside, the old man had experience launching rockets from his time in the Air Force, at SAC. A KSC contractor hired him because of that, and gave him an office in the big VAB cube; where the Apollo rocket ship was being assembled. He told me they were going to the moon. We all believed him. Later, I read that it was a hoax, like cable burn-in. Done on a sound stage back lot, by that 2001 guy.

Which was kind of strange, because he'd leave for work in the AM, and then come home in the evening. Like nothing was up. After I discovered the real story, I started to wonder what the hell pop was doing all day?

Looking back, and as near as I can figure, he must have been hanging with the Ron, over at his surf shop in Cocoa Beach. Then, lunch at the Riki Tiki or Beach Shack. Maybe having a cool one with Jeannie at Pineapple Point. Mom didn't care since she had mornings and afternoons to herself, plus the old man always turned his paycheck over to her, every two weeks.

Top Bottom