• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Step-up Transformer affect the sound quality?

sangbro

Hello,

I find an interesting DAC oversea, and want to use it at home. (US)
I’m wondering if using Step-down transformer affect Sound Quality.

Here are the specification.

1) DAC

- Power Supply: Factory set to either 100-120. 220-240V AC 50/60Hz
(It is set for 220-240V, with Type F consent type, widely used in Europe/Eastern Asia countries)
- Power Consumption: 6.5W typical, 50W maximum

2) Transformer (Step-up, right?)
So, I’m thinking about this Step up Transformer from Accupower.
https://acupwr.com/collections/step...20-volts-to-220-240-volts-step-up-transformer
- 500W capacity for overkill.
- If you know any better company, please share. As far as I know this is the best quality I can get in the states.

My question is, can this transformer affect the sound quality? (In a bad way?)

(I know the voltage goes up and down from the plant to my home, still not sure using the relatively small transformer unit
right before the unit... Can this create kind of noise?)

Do you have any experience?

Thank you! Happy holidays.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The short answer is no, using a step-up transformer won't affect sound quality at all.

As long as the transformer you're using is suitably rated, and the one you linked to is comfortably over-rated, then you'll be fine.

As to noise, just keep the transformer away from microphone or phono inputs as these are more sensitive to hum, but otherwise again won't be a problem.

S.

hi sangbro - i'm in exactly the same position. i have 110 power to my home, i've purchased a dac which runs on 220. i'm very interested to hear your listening impressions of the acupwr step-up transformer. the alternative seems to be running a dedicated 220 line to my hifi area, and expense i'd like to avoid. the power consumption of my dac is rated 24 watts, and the guy at acupwr said i'd be fine with their 100 watt model.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The short answer can be no...

raindance

Major Contributor
So long as it is actually a transformer, there's no issue. Watch out for electronic converters (potentially noisy) and autoformers (potentially unsafe).

VinodCris

Hi, I own a bunch of Hifi Components rated 230VAC 50Hz, Integrated Amplifier (298W) / CD - Streamer (150W) / Phono stage (65W) / Power supply Phono (250W) / Power Supply TT (100W). Now I am Canada 120 VAC 60 Hz. I plan to use a (One unit) Krieger ULT1700 1700W Step up Transformer to power them all. Kindly assist in sharing if I am safer with the step-up Transformer selection.

Top Bottom