• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does size matter?

What is the floor-size of your main listening room in square feet (meters)?

• Total voters

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm curious about people's main listening room dimensions. I expect it's the living/family/TV room for a lot of people, an office or bedroom for others. If you think the footprint of a room alone isn't worth knowing I understand, but I'm curious anyway. I understand ceiling height also matters, and some of you will have open floor plans, so the actual volume of two rooms with the same floorspace could be dramatically different.

I would also be interested to hear what kind of speakers you're using in your room. For example, I have a HT setup in the living room, but my main listening room is a 160 sq ft office where I have a pair of full-size, 3-way floor standing speakers (no subs). Probably could do just as well or better with something much smaller, but the ones I have were given to me free, so no complaints.

Hipper

4.2m x 3.86m x 2.4m (14' x 13' x 8'); 16.2 sq m (182 sq ft); 39 cu m (1,456 cu ft). Room is rectangular.

3 way floor standing speakers.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Where is the height element for volume?

My ceilings are 14'. Room is 25' long by 17' wide, 425 sq ft / 39 sq m. Semi open with 3 openings, no doors.

Big 2-ways (7", Dynaudio Contour 20) + 2 x 12" subs (ML Dynamo 1100X).

Last edited:

weasels

Roughly 425 sq ft, open, standard 9 ft ceilings.

Currently in the market, but used to have 3-way towers + sub. In terms of SPL the sub made the biggest difference if I wanted to get loud. In my current shopping I'm focusing more on decent sized 2-way (probably 6.5" woofers, probably no smaller than 5.25") and will add a sub again later.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
350sq'
3 way full range(Revel F208)
Currently debating on 2x svs sb3000 vs 1x svs sb16 Ultra(add 2nd in the future) as it transitions into a dual use surround system.

Hear Here

A difficult room that's effectively semi-circular with floor-to-ceiling glazing on most of the curved wall. Total area about 945 sq ft but ceiling height only 7'7". Sketch attached that I hope will open!

Speakers are placed in the middle of the room (either side of a supporting column), facing across the room.

What type of speaker would you think best here?

Attachments

• Plan - 112 Living Room PDF.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 99

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Main listening area probably around 250 sq ft., but open floor plan so total area more something like 650sq.ft.

Tower speakers with 4x6.5" per speaker, as well dual 10" subs, one nearfield on the floor next to the listening area, and one on the wall behind the TV.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
A difficult room that's effectively semi-circular with floor-to-ceiling glazing on most of the curved wall. Total area about 945 sq ft but ceiling height only 7'7". Sketch attached that I hope will open!

Speakers are placed in the middle of the room (either side of a supporting column), facing across the room.

What type of speaker would you think best here?
Wow, that is an unusual room. I couldn’t say what speakers I think would work best, but I bet some room correction would do a lot of good. Are you using any kind of room correction?

Burning Sounds

6.4m x 3.3m x 2.4m (21' x 11' x 8'). 21.1sq m, (231sq ft) - 48.6 cu m (1848 cu ft). The ceiling is cathedral type with exposed beams so about 7' at the walls, and almost 9' in the centre.

4-way dynamic driver dipoles; 2-way + sub dynamic dipoles; 2-way planar + sub dipoles.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I see that I'm in line with what most people already have... one size bigger now it seems — subsequent edit: nope!

3.26m width
4.91m length
2.33m height

Actual size of the floor space is over twice that but separated by thin drywall divisions.

Other Living Room is open plan and with large glass coffee table and glass directly on the side wall of speaker -- not to mention standing fan sitting directly in front of the same speaker! hah! -- so very, very much not ideal.

*In this room, all bookshelf type active monitors: KH120, JBL LSR305, Sceptre S8, Rythmik F12 (12-inch sealed sub) since space is tight.

Last edited:

mil

3.5m Width
5.0m Length
2.4m Height

2 Computers:
first connected to Monitor Audio Bronze 2
second to Wharfedale EVO 4.4

Since I bought the EVOs I have also installed 96 foam panels around the room walls. I am very happy with the sound...and that the wife hasn't divorced me yet.

Hear Here

Wow, that is an unusual room. I couldn’t say what speakers I think would work best, but I bet some room correction would do a lot of good. Are you using any kind of room correction?

Interestingly, yes I have - 3 different technologies - but I only found that one made an improvement and that was slight.

With Avantgarde horns (2002 Unos, now 2006 Duos), I tried Micromega's MARS and Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect systems and both made the sound worse, particularly Room Perfect which sucked the life out of the music..

With Martin Logan 13As (hybrid electrostatics), Anthem did make a marginal improvement but it didn't bring the sound from these costly brand new speakers up to match the old Unos. The MLs didn't like their placement mid-room and room correction couldn't rectify that problem.

I have latest Avantgarde Duo XDs or order and these have some form of DSP, although I'm unsure how it works without a microphone. But I'm also planning on getting the new NAD M33 that comes with Dirac Live, so I will have 2 room correction options very soon. Interesting times! Peter

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Interestingly, yes I have - 3 different technologies - but I only found that one made an improvement and that was slight.

With Avantgarde horns (2002 Unos, now 2006 Duos), I tried Micromega's MARS and Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect systems and both made the sound worse, particularly Room Perfect which sucked the life out of the music..

With Martin Logan 13As (hybrid electrostatics), Anthem did make a marginal improvement but it didn't bring the sound from these costly brand new speakers up to match the old Unos. The MLs didn't like their placement mid-room and room correction couldn't rectify that problem.

I have latest Avantgarde Duo XDs or order and these have some form of DSP, although I'm unsure how it works without a microphone. But I'm also planning on getting the new NAD M33 that comes with Dirac Live, so I will have 2 room correction options very soon. Interesting times! Peter

I'll be curious to see if Dirac does any better.....your room may be a tough one for the algorithms to deal with.

tjkadar

My room is just under 190 square feet with a 9' ceiling. I have two desks shoved in there - one for my wife and myself. Have bass trapping in the corners and some adsorption panels in the room.

2 Computers (only 1 used for music)
MiniDSP DDRC-24 (will be for sale Monday)
MiniDSP SHD (arriving Monday)
March Audio P451
KEF R3
2 Crown XLS 1502
2 12" Subwoofers

Office.jpg

Daverz

Major Contributor
I'm not even sure how to measure it. It's a "great room" in a condo, a combination living room/dining room with a partially open kitchen at one end, and roughly a squashed sexagon in shape. There's an open stairway down to the first level on one end and an open stairway up to an open loft on the 3rd level, and wall-to-wall carpeting. The widest orthogonal dimensions are 8.4 m and 7.5 m, so I'll go with the 300-400 sq ft option. It's very challenging to place speakers with so many entranceways and no real continuous wall space, but I've managed to find a location that works pretty well, roughly where the the rectangles are, but toed in properly, of course.

floorplan_with_speakers.jpg

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I see that I'm in line with what most people already have... one size bigger now it seems.

3.26m width
4.91m length
2.33m height

Actual size of the floor space is over twice that but separated by thin drywall divisions.

Other Living Room is open plan and with large glass coffee table and glass directly on the side wall of speaker -- not to mention standing fan sitting directly in front of the same speaker! hah! -- so very, very much not ideal.

*In this room, all bookshelf type active monitors: KH120, JBL LSR305, Sceptre S8, Rythmik F12 (12-inch sealed sub) since space is tight.

Hmmmn... If it’s only the floor area, then I should have picked smaller! My bad.

Trouble Maker

I really thought the room sizes would be bigger than ours at 240sqft, but a plurality are in that range so far. I assumed that since our house was built in 1925 and is under half the size of the average new home now, or space would be in the lower end. I wonder if people with smaller places are using the living room, but new McMansions are using spare rooms? This really seems like a multidimensional issue, but I get that's not the detail you're trying to capture.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom