• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does silver used in interconnects "sound" different than copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvinne

What an absolute s**t show of a forum. I get it, if you have an abundance of cash laying around to waste on pointless stuff, good for you. But that should be advertised. Too many 20-somethings get out there and max out their credit cards on snake oil and "perceived" value only to find themselves bankrupt with worthless gear years down the road. Fortunately I see most in their 20's happy with AirPods and a phone, maybe a Spotify subscription.

Okay, time for more coffee. Anyway. I'm glad it's other people's money.

JSmith

Master Contributor

kristiansen

In audiophile speak, sliver sound bright and copper sounds warmer.

Why?
Well because these bloody clever materials know they should sound like their skin.
In other words, the profound differences in sound are total nonsense.
Just another case of self-delusion.

There is a real difference, silver is a slightly better conductor than copper.
It is also more prone to oxidize.
https://sciencing.com/copper-vs-silver-wire-conductivity-5863373.html

It's not entirely true, is rather after hardness, which points more towards a kind of resonance.
Will describe it this way, make some small bells of gold silver copper and lead , the basic tone, the tendency of the sound will be as if you rang with these bells.
In the same way that most people know it from speaker membranes, the material has a sound signature .
Electrically there is nothing that fits together, but it fits with what many millions around the world are experiencing, manufacturers, Hifi enthusiasts and Diy people.
Yes I mean it seriously. Insulation materials also have different sound signature .
So electrical components may sound different even if they perform the same electrical function.
Can not explain it and not measure it, But I have a desire to be able to , But at the moment it is only a listening experience

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Consider that there is a HUGE difference between mechanical properties of a material (resonance per thickness/dimension) and conductance.
The difference in sound signature (which never has been shown to exist in any correctly performed test) seems to be related to people associating metal properties with what they hear... they know what metal is used, they see what metal is used, they hear what metal is used (by association).
That's how the brain works. That's why it cannot be shown in measurements and cannot be detected in blind tests (people not knowing what the cable is) but do clearly hear differences when they know what they are 'listening to'.

Silver nor copper nor aluminium nor gold nor other conductor wires act as notch or shelf filter. They only differ in conductivity (ohm).

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back when single-ended "RCA" connectors were a necessary evil for me, I refitted all jacks (male and female) with Gold plated connectors to avoid rusty interconnects.

I live in a humid environment, and it made sense at no additional cost.

The only place silver wire made sense to me was inside electronics, when I could still see well enough to solder itty-bitty wire. "Litz" wire made soldering easier in tight spaces.

Otherwise, if Copper was good enough for professional applications, it was good enough for me.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What an absolute s**t show of a forum. I get it, if you have an abundance of cash laying around to waste on pointless stuff, good for you. But that should be advertised. Too many 20-somethings get out there and max out their credit cards on snake oil and "perceived" value only to find themselves bankrupt with worthless gear years down the road. Fortunately I see most in their 20's happy with AirPods and a phone, maybe a Spotify subscription.

Okay, time for more coffee. Anyway. I'm glad it's other people's money.
Let them burn and burn-in their expensive cables. Their minds are set.

sq225917

Major Contributor
If they think they hear a difference then that's how they perceive the sound. That one doesn't measurably exist is moot, they're blissfully enjoying themselves.

JSmith

Master Contributor
they're blissfully enjoying themselves.
While others make exorbitant amounts of money off them blissfully enjoying themselves... money that could be better spent, like charity for example. Nah... doesn't fly with me anymore, they should all be called out.

JSmith

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Yes I mean it seriously. Insulation materials also have different sound signature .
So electrical components may sound different even if they perform the same electrical function.
Can not explain it and not measure it, But I have a desire to be able to , But at the moment it is only a listening experience
Interestingly, the listener has to know the cable's construction materials so that the cable can know just how it's supposed to sound.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Jsmith, we have no idea how the money filters through the economy. Its there's to dispose of as they see fit, veblen goods or otherwise.

David Harper

Come on, the crapping on his speakers in a reply about wires was just looking to get them more worked up.
yes you're right about that but I did add that it's only my opinion

Still , I probably should have left that out.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
You all are missing the point with both pure silver and copper. And the mark!

The best interconnects and speaker cables are made of niobium (Nb) and/or of niobium alloys (Nb3Ge, Nb3Sn) kept at liquid helium temperatures. It is known to give the most transparent sound — with both near-absolute-zero group delay and near-absolute-zero delivery effort, literally! (Some tried high-temperature superconductors, but being oxides those appear to sound unpolished and colored.)

If you want to throw [away] your money at the most expensive cables, superconductors are the way to go!

kristiansen

I searched ASR and didn't find the answer. If I missed something, add the link; thank you.

Question: Is there something about a solid sliver or a sliver alloy that can change an interconnect cable's performance in the audible range? If so what, and are there any measurements available?

You will not find such considerations on this fundamentalist forums where all cars are the same if the top speed and acceleration are identical, if so then the cars are also the same to drive. This is just the way it is if you are "scientific" .
But I can guarantee you that it absolutely does not behave like that in reality, that is why we have these discussions, these discussions would not exist if everything was as ASR says it is.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
But I can guarantee you that it absolutely does not behave like that in reality
Yeah I think it's about time members provide some proper evidence when making such claims at ASR... especially when comparing complicated machinery like a vehicle to an interconnect. Or is everyone meant to just say "oh well, kristiansen said so on ASR, so must be a fact"?

JSmith

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Null a silver and copper interlink cable and you'll know.
At least you will know that they do not differ at any point in audible range when it comes to electrical signal.

Of course, even when you've nulled and seen the evidence the silver cable will still sound brighter to those that believe it does despite the signal being provable to be exactly the same.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You will not find such considerations on this fundamentalist forums where all cars are the same if the top speed and acceleration are identical, if so then the cars are also the same to drive. This is just the way it is if you are "scientific" .
But I can guarantee you that it absolutely does not behave like that in reality, that is why we have these discussions, these discussions would not exist if everything was as ASR says it is.
With poor conclusions like that I can't wait for you to educate us on the silly wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom