• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Does Roon Sound Better?

Well, there's conflicting evidence of the advantage of higher sampling rates. I do like 24-bit for the same reason music studios like it, because of all the processing I do with the sound, like convolving and equalization etc.

There is a great and cheap program for checking high-res music. It's called MusicScope and highly recommended.
Thank you for this. As a musician myself, I try not to fall for this audiophoolery. I know when we record the mics are more important than the cables, kind of thing.

So doing a null test of the waveforms will relay the differences, correct?
That could, provided you use an a-symetrical complex signal, not just a sinus of similar symmetric signal. Also small time differences (like in the microseconds) should be looked for, not just amplitude. Toelsgraven has a good suggestion : http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vocals.htm

So doing a null test of the waveforms will relay the differences, correct?

I had another question: Is there signal loss in a wifi signal from a NUC vs. Ethernet? I hear a ton about possible loss in fidelity. I think I recall Amir saying both are acutally bit perfect through Roon. True or False?

PierreV

I had another question: Is there signal loss in a wifi signal from a NUC vs. Ethernet? I hear a ton about possible loss in fidelity. I think I recall Amir saying both are acutally bit perfect through Roon. True or False?
Everything is bit perfect, with or without roon. That is also the reason your bank account's balance remains constant when you check your bank on a wireless or on a wired network (among other things).

What can happen is that a wireless connection is unstable, that packets get lost because retries don't arrive or get lost. Depending on how the playback is implemented this may result in delays or drops, music can stop or crack or pop. Etc... See it as some stuff not loading or taking a long time on a big web page loaded through a slow/unreliable wireless connection. But the bits that do come through, in bytes and packets of bytes are correct.

bravomail

for good WiFi router choice check "small network builders" site. They have a testing methodology and a rating chart of many routers. They are also quite up to date.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
is the fiber option complete nonsense?
I'm sure I would be taken more seriously if I had a nice foreign-sounding accent like he does.

Maybe I do, to the posters in other countries (I'm based in Nu-Perfect America).

Or maybe a different avatar would be all I need:

1549040886423.png

Yeah - I would like to know his motivation for spewing nonsense. He's probably on the MQA payroll or getting longterm gear loans. Pure speculation on my part though.

Top Bottom