• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Does Quality of Coax Input Matter for DACs?

Pietro

It would be interesting to compare the SPDIF output of some consumer electronics or from a PC motherboard. Whether such a "low quality" output (probably worse than FX audio) does not affect/affects the DAC output.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
May sound like a smoke screen until you witness one when trying to interconnect three or four different types/mixes of interfaces, including analog audio.
If you tell me again that ground loops don't exist (and/or "nothing of the sorts"), I shall ignore your comments. Cheers!
As @garbz pointed out, wired digital interconnects are often transformer isolated to avoid ground loop issues. IIRC it's mandatory for AES/EBU in the transmitter, and for some versions of the spec in the receiver too, although someone better versed in these may correct me. You can see the transformer in the internal pics of the DAC-SQ3 or even the £16 Fun Generation UA-202. It's not quite universal - see the HifiBerry Digi+ Standard which has an unpopulated footprint for the transformer, or various PC motherboards - but it's certainly not unusual.

Top Bottom